Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions? Inquiring mind needs to know

Well, I experienced my first two PB's this weekend...... OMG..... I will never again make the mistake of eating something that is dry. Anyhow, I am almost 4 weeks post-op and on soft foods like chicken and fish and vegetables- I seem to feel some restriction (I think) so I wanted to check with the pro's on this. I get the sensation that I am about to have a PB if I swallow that last bite. Does this sound like restriction. I can only eat about 1/2 cup of Soup that has consistancy to it like chicken. I am going this thursday for a possible fill and I dont want to go through the process of discomfort as I have read with others and them getting their fill. I guess I am kinda scared to have him touch anything. This is such a new way of life for me and I am 20 pounds down and loving my band. I would like to hear about some of you and your 4 week milestones if you wouldn't mind just to see if I am on track. I know that everyone is different but all seem to have alot of simularity. Thanks for the support you guys......

Sherri

Sherri, if you're just now moving on to solid foods my thinking is that it's too soon for a fill. Your esophagus is still getting used to the added pressure and if you haven't fully transitioned to solids getting a fill will just make it more difficult.

Most doctors won't even consider giving a fill until 6 weeks post-op and until the patient is eating solid foods with ease. If you're feeling any difficulty swallowing it seems to me that a fill would be premature.

I agree about the fill being a bit too soon.

I am just over 9 weeks out and have not had a fill. I need one! But I sure didn't at 4 weeks. It sounds to me like you are right on track with your eating at 4 weeks. No, never eat anything too dry, no matter what your restriction level! But you should be more comfortable with solid foods than it sounds like you are.

I keep pushing my band. This can be bad if it becomes a habit of each meal, but I will occassionally test to see just how much I am able to eat, and what. I ate an entire restaurant omelette filled with grilled chicken (a big one!) on Sunday. Granted, I ate very little dinner that night but I had to see just how much would really go down...it ALL went down! I was more full than I needed to be. I was also able to eat a hot dog, with the bun, the other night. Time for a fill. I pushed it, the band didn't push back quite enough, so it's confirmed that it's fill time.

If you are still losing regularly (I keep fighting the same 2 pounds, up, down, up, down, time for a fill) then wait.

Getting full on a 1/2 cup of very thick Soup sounds about right. Does that get you through to the next meal or small snack? Feeling like you might PB after that last bite sounds like good restriction. Give it a week or two. Give that fill appointment to someone who is desperate for it, like me!!

Hey, thanks for asking this, it helped me alot to reply! Doncha love LBT? Let us know what you decide!

I concur. In either case mentioned, the first being that you're just moving onto solid foods, and the second being that you seem to have some restriction already, you're probably not ready for a fill.

If you talk to your doctor and tell him what's going on, he'll probably say the same thing, but of course, you should follow your doctor's advice, unless it's completely outrageous =)

There's nothing harder for me NOT to eat than that last bite. I can leave half of a piece of chicken, but if there's just one bite left, I feel a STRONG compulsion to eat it. However, after having more than a few PB's as a result, that compulsion is fading. =)

Best wishes,

Jonathan

I can only eat about 1/2 cup of Soup that has consistancy to it like chicken. I am going this thursday for a possible fill and I dont want to go through the process of discomfort as I have read with others and them getting their fill. I guess I am kinda scared to have him touch anything

If you are losing weight 1-3 lbs a week and have some restriction there is no need ot rush to get a fill, just because the Dr. will do one at 6 weeks post op does not mean you need one, I did not have my 1st dill until I was almost 10 weeks post op

here is a good site on fill to read to give youa guide

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm

what is a PB?? im so LOST............

PB stands for Productive Burp. It's when you eat something too fast or not well chewed and it can't get past the band, your body will force it up. Kind of like a vomit but without all the gastric juices...just food and lots of saliva that your body produces when something gets stuck (this overdose of saliva production is also known as "sliming" in the band world). Hope that helps. Don't ever feel lost around here!!!