Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you tell me where they put your port? I thought it would be on your side but reading on here it seems its closer to your breasts. Can you see it or feel it? Funny how I keep finding questions about this when I've been getting ready for months now!! Surgery is Monday...Its been a very long road but I am so excited!

Kaplan puts them all on the right side. Mine is right above my waist line, but I believe he is now putting them a little higher. My husband was banded 2 months after me on 8/25 by Kaplan and his is on the right 1/2 way between his breast and waistline. I can not see mine yet but I can feel it when I push on that area, especially when laying down. It was tender for about a month after surgery, but now I can not tell it is there. Every once in while when I bend over it bothers me when my pants hit it. But, it's not a pain or anything--I just realize it's there when that happens.

Another Question....Does everyone have the same size band? If not..do you know what decides the size you get...and for Kaplan patients...does he put any saline in the band at surgery time or do you wait for saline to be added on your first fill?

No, everyone does not have the same size band. There are 4cc, 10cc and 14cc sizes. Kaplan told me he doesn't like to use the 4cc because there is not much room for playing with fills on them because obviously they are smaller. I have a 10cc band. It's based on the size of your stomach and the amount of visceral fat (fat around your stomach) that is present. My husband has a 14cc band because Kaplan tried a 10cc and decided it was too small.

He does put some fill in at time of surgery, or at least he did with me. At my first fill, he pulled back 2cc before adding anything and then gave me 1cc to make what I thought was a total of 3cc. However, at my fill yesterday, they got back 4cc so I guess there was an extra cc hanging out in there that he didn't get back on the first aspiration. So...if you're following me :tt1:...that means I had 3cc in at the time of surgery because I've had 2cc added but I'm at a total of 5cc now. Hope that makes sense!:bolt:

I was told I have to lose 5 lbs on the preop diet...even though I've already lost 26.5 lbs on the supervised diet so far lol. Did you all have to lose 5 lbs and is it hard on the preop diet? I am worried about it. =/ I know it's dumb to worry about that though but I am.

Froggi. What is your pre-op diet and how long are you on it? Mine was three weeks and it was a pretty strict diet (shakes for 2 meals and 6 to 8 oz. Protein, unlimited green veggies, and 1 cup of fruit for dinner). I lost 12 pounds, BUT.... I was not on any diet before that. You can do it!!! I'm cheering for you and wishing you all the luck in the world. Let me know how you do. Becky

There is such great information on here!!! I just want to say Thanks to everyone!!!! I cant wait until I get the surgery and am able to attend the support group meetings! I will definetly attend...I want/need the support!

I can totally relate to not wanting to post pics!!!!! I HATE the camera! UGH!!!! I know people look at me and see what is in the picture but I dont like to see the pictures. Its so depressing! I only allow headshots! Im hoping to one day be able to take a full body pic and not get sick to my stomach when I look at it!

? - Do we get weighed in a gown with Dr. Kaplan? Im freaking out worried I will lose too much weight in the 6 mo pre-op diet and then have the insurance turn me down! Im so stressed out about this...I just want it so bad!

There is such great information on here!!! I just want to say Thanks to everyone!!!! I cant wait until I get the surgery and am able to attend the support group meetings! I will definetly attend...I want/need the support!

I can totally relate to not wanting to post pics!!!!! I HATE the camera! UGH!!!! I know people look at me and see what is in the picture but I dont like to see the pictures. Its so depressing! I only allow headshots! Im hoping to one day be able to take a full body pic and not get sick to my stomach when I look at it!

? - Do we get weighed in a gown with Dr. Kaplan? Im freaking out worried I will lose too much weight in the 6 mo pre-op diet and then have the insurance turn me down! Im so stressed out about this...I just want it so bad!

I dunno how Kaplan weighs...I'll find out in october though lol. I know what you mean about the insurance thing. I am just getting to where my paperwork will be sent in October 6th and I am worried that they will find some reason or something just to deny me. I am quite worried about it. I've lost 26.5 lbs so far...But I could have lost 100 lbs and still been over a 40 bmi lol. Don't fret about it too much. Good luck.

Froggie - Good Luck with your paperwork submission!!!!!!! I cant wait to get to that point! :thumbup:

Froggi. What is your pre-op diet and how long are you on it? Mine was three weeks and it was a pretty strict diet (shakes for 2 meals and 6 to 8 oz. Protein, unlimited green veggies, and 1 cup of fruit for dinner). I lost 12 pounds, BUT.... I was not on any diet before that. You can do it!!! I'm cheering for you and wishing you all the luck in the world. Let me know how you do. Becky

My preop diet will be Protein shake for Breakfast and lunch and 4 oz lean meat and veggies for dinner for 2 weeks. I'm just worried I wont lost anymore I've been stuck at the same weight for the past few weigh ins.

Froggie - Good Luck with your paperwork submission!!!!!!! I cant wait to get to that point! :thumbup:

Thanks. I'm worried they will find some random reason to decline me. They better not after all this bullshit I've gone through with them. Insurance is a big joke sometimes.

I keep thinking that my insurance has been paying for my overweight issues for a long time. From appts, procedures to meds. I've had more office visits than the thinner person usually requires and now that I've started down the lap band road they have paid for more drs appointment, (mine doesn't pay for nutritionists though BCBS) I've already had my endoscopy which showed a hiatal hernia, that will be repaired suring my banding. But if my bmi gets to low I'm out, even with my co morbidities. Even though I will still need surgery for the hiatal hernia, and even though I will still have high cholesterol, osteo arthritis, asthma and so on. In a nut shell I am one of those who worries I will be denied just when I think its gonna happen. On a funny note I just saw where he lists my panic and anxiety disorder, and I'm thinking how much anxiety am I adding worrying. sigh IT WILL HAPPPEN< Visualize this, me kneeling (Laugh in itself) chanting It will happen, It will happen, instead of Marishka Hargitay. I'm bad:tt1:

Edited by Saundra

Are you asking if we get weighed the day of surgery in a gown? Nope, the last weight put down when you go to the preop appointment is the weight they go by. Now are you asking if we have to put a gown on in his office and get weighed, that again is a no. Just in your clothes you are wearing on your back and it is your choice to wear you shoes or not. Once your insurance approves you, I dont think you have to worry about your weight.

I was told I have to lose 5 lbs on the preop diet...even though I've already lost 26.5 lbs on the supervised diet so far lol. Did you all have to lose 5 lbs and is it hard on the preop diet? I am worried about it. =/ I know it's dumb to worry about that though but I am.

Hey there. I don't remember being given a specific amount to lose on his preop diet just that I had to follow it. My husband said he was told to lose 10 lbs. Dr. Kaplan's exact words to my husband were "I want your liver to look like steak, not cake" after those 2 weeks. :thumbup: I lost 15 lbs on the 2 week diet and my husband lost 18. He did tell my husband that if he did not follow the pre-op diet he could tell by the liver and if his liver was not how he wanted it, he would not do the surgery at that time. The diet is difficult, but it's only a short 2 weeks out of your life. You'll be really motivated by how fast you lose. My husband was obviously in ketosis while on it because his breath smelled like it does when you do Atkins induction levels. It's not dumb to worry about it :frown: I was worried, too.

Nope, you always weigh in your clothes at both Jeannie's office and Dr. Kaplan's office. Don't worry about losing too much. You're in the 6 month diet program to prove that you can commit and lose! Insurance goes off your initial weight that was logged on your first visit. Look at the pre-op period as a time to take off as much as you can to make surgery easier on your body and to start your new eating habits. :thumbup:

I was told differantly, that if I drop below a certain bmi at any weigh in my insurance wouldn't cover it. I hope your right, but I can't take that chance after being told exactly where my cut off weight/bmi are and what would happen if I hit that. I love loosing the weight, and was so excited till that. I feel like a yoyo now, thrown into a semi reverse mode. I can usually loose so much then I get stuck amd boom back it comes dragging relatives.

I was told differantly, that if I drop below a certain bmi at any weigh in my insurance wouldn't cover it. I hope your right, but I can't take that chance after being told exactly where my cut off weight/bmi are and what would happen if I hit that. I love loosing the weight, and was so excited till that. I feel like a yoyo now, thrown into a semi reverse mode. I can usually loose so much then I get stuck amd boom back it comes dragging relatives.

My insurance worked the way I described. I did not have a 6 month diet, but was told if my dropped below 40 on the pre-op period (as I had no co-morbidities) that I would still be covered. In fact, my BMI day of surgery was 37.8

You should call the customer service number on your insurance card and ask them to mail you in writing their specific policy on this. My insurer has a web site also where you can search their policies and read about just how things are covered. But, I would ask them to mail it to you, that way you have it. And, make sure you always write down the date/time and specific name of the person you talked to. I have called my insurer and gotten different responses from different operators. Good luck!

Hey there. I don't remember being given a specific amount to lose on his preop diet just that I had to follow it. My husband said he was told to lose 10 lbs. Dr. Kaplan's exact words to my husband were "I want your liver to look like steak, not cake" after those 2 weeks. :thumbup: I lost 15 lbs on the 2 week diet and my husband lost 18. He did tell my husband that if he did not follow the pre-op diet he could tell by the liver and if his liver was not how he wanted it, he would not do the surgery at that time. The diet is difficult, but it's only a short 2 weeks out of your life. You'll be really motivated by how fast you lose. My husband was obviously in ketosis while on it because his breath smelled like it does when you do Atkins induction levels. It's not dumb to worry about it :frown: I was worried, too.

I know it's not too difficult and I am not worried about the actual dieting and stuff. I am just worried that I have hit such a plataeu with this 6 month supervised diet for insurance that I won't lose the extra 5 lbs they want me to lose on preop since I've been stuck at 392 and not moving for 2 weighins. Jeannie said something over the phone yesterday like I had to lose 5 within a week of the diet? I dunno...not exactly sure I just know she said 5 lbs. It's not like I haven't lost anything this whole time. I've been eating well, exercising, etc...and losing 26.5 lbs in 5 1/2 months is good. I am just hoping so hard that I break 292.5 and get down at least 2 or 3 lbs before preop. I want to break this plateau that is getting me depressed. I want surgery time to be here and to be in bandland. The wait is almost over but now it feels like forever when everything else went so quickly.