Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elizabeth- They're the 4th Monday of every month at 6pm. I would love to see you there! I was struggling for a little while, too. Dr. Kaplan is soooo conservative on the fills that it gets discouraging at times. Hang in there! It does get better. I had my 2nd fill this am under fluoro, because he couldn't access my port last week. I was so discouraged, but am feeling better now. It's been hard because up till now, I could eat anything I wanted and was hungry! Hopefully this fill will help!

WVnascarfan- Good luck!!! You're lucky that your upper GI will be standing. When I had mine done after surgery, they weren't sure what they were doing and tried to make me lay on my abdomen!!! I refused and so they made me lay completely up on my sides, which hurt like crazy. They didn't have me stand at all. I complained about it and Jeannie got it all worked out. When my husband had his done in August, they had him stand and it didn't bother him at all. The worst part he said was the contrast he had to drink.

WVU-fan - I will post it! I keep googling him everyday looking for it.

Kyla, I'm sooooo jealous! You're almost to one-derland! I call for pictures girlie!!!!

Thanks!!! Where have you been? I was wondering how you and your husband were doing. How far are you into your 6 month diet? I will try to take some pictures this weekend and post. For so long I have always been so camera shy and avoided cameras at all cost. We haven't even had a family pic taken in 6 years because I looked so bad in the last one! It just seems weird taking pictures now. :thumbup:

I've been lurking. I work for an older man, and his health has been going down hill...so I've been doing more and more of the essential work here. I think I'm 3 months into the diet...I'm kinda confused on it though. We started out seeing Lyndsey every 3 weeks, then insurance would only pay for monthly. We're estimating we'll have the surgery in January or February. We just heard that it's new policy we have to pay our "out of pocket" before the surgery so that's $2,400 for the both of us that we need to come up with.

I know what you mean about camera shy. I've always hated cameras. I'll make sure it's from my shoulders up or hide behind the kids (yeah like you can't tell I'm heavy). But when I lost 75 pounds on Atkins 4 years ago I felt more comfortable. Unfortunately those 75 pounds found their way home and brought friends.

J

When I went for my fill Monday, I told him that my port sticks out when I stand so he tried to fill it when I am standing and had no problem with it whatsoever. It was so nice to get it on the first try. You say you had yours done on the 30th of June?? I was just talking to a lady at the office that had it done that day, that wasnt you was it?

This was my 3rd fill. I now have 6cc in a 14cc band. This week if the first time I have felt any restriction. I left there monday and just started crying due to no weight loss. I went out to eat today with my friend who had it done in March and she can eat whatever she wants. I could have cried right then and there, its just not fair.

Elizabeth....I'm so sorry! I have no good advice. I guess just be patient and keep working with Dr. Kaplan and Lindsay. I just figured it up...you've lost 15% of your goal...keep it up! That's great!!!!

Are you exercising?

Jennifer- They made us pay our out of pockets too before they would even do the EGD. It was about $1500 for the 2 of us. At least they gave you somewhat of a warning. They told me 1 week before my EGD and I had to whip out $750. I was like...ok...so much for the savings! lol. I have a picture from this Christmas where I was hiding behind my 13 year old step-daughter who is the same height as me and weighs 130 lbs. Like she was really going to hide me!!!

Elizabeth- I added you to Myspace. Thanks! I understand how discouraged you are. I was so down last week after he couldn't get my fill in. My very first fill visit back at the end of July, he wouldn't fill me because he said I had lost over 20 lbs since my pre-op visit. That's fine, except that I lost 18 lbs on my pre-op liquid diet! I was so frustrated. I'm hoping this fill today helps. Up to this point I could eat anything and I mean anything. It was like no restriction. All I've had today after my fill is some Water and a slim fast and I'm not hungry, so we'll see. I'm on liquids for 2 days. I have 5cc in my 10cc band now.

He tried getting me standing up last week and it didn't work. It wasn't me that you talked to. I thought the only other person on June 30th was a guy, but I must have been wrong!

Elizabeth, I don't know you but I believe in you. I can tell how badly you want this, it will happen. I'm not banded yet but love reading everything I can, please don't misunderstand, but one of my biggest fears before meeting my surgeion was failure. He assures me it will happen, that if we do what we have to it will come. He also told me if I wanted to loose faster I should think of the other. But he kept saying its differant with each person but each has to hang in there till they get it right, (the fills). I also remember him saying it could be very emotional for me afterwards. I refuse to believe i won't loose, and in order to do that i have to believe that you WILL. Relax, take a deep breathe, Hang in there for all of us behind you as well as yourself.

(((((((((((((Elizabeth)))))))))))))))

jennifer, unfortunatly I had been fighting a nasty and painful infection in my leg since Aug so no I havent been doing much exercise. I started school last week at Washington State Community College and I make sure I park in the back lot, and take all the stairs. Im usuaully huffen and puffen and my heart feels like it is going to jump right out of my chest by the time I get to class but that is it. Lets see, it takes about 10 min to get from my car to my class, then maybe 5 min to the next class, 5 min to the class after that and depending which way I go it takes about 5 mins to get to my car after that class so that is 30 mins, but I know that isnt good enough. Once my leg is completely healed I will really need to get going on the treadmill and stuff.

kd, he does fills on Fridays?? I thought he only did them on Mondays.

Saundra, thanks so much, I needed that.

Elizabeth- He doesn't do the fluoro fills at all. Dr. Shank (radiology) and Jeannie do them and it depends on Dr. Shank's schedule. Are you in nursing school? (I think I read that on here.) I'm an RN if you ever have any questions! :thumbup:

Im trying to get into nursing school, just getting the basics in right now. I want to specialize in neonatology. I know someone else who had to have their fills that way and then her port just flat out flipped over so she had to have a little surgery and get it fixed.

Can you tell me where they put your port? I thought it would be on your side but reading on here it seems its closer to your breasts. Can you see it or feel it? Funny how I keep finding questions about this when I've been getting ready for months now!! Surgery is Monday...Its been a very long road but I am so excited!

Another Question....Does everyone have the same size band? If not..do you know what decides the size you get...and for Kaplan patients...does he put any saline in the band at surgery time or do you wait for saline to be added on your first fill?

My port is right between my boobs... well.... if my boobs were where they are supposed to be, it would be between and a little lower... but sad to say it's right between them. I got my band a week ago and I don't even want to feel to see if I can feel my port yet. I can't eat chicken yet, but I am one. Good luck with your surgery on Monday. Everyone doesn't have the same size band, but I don't know what determines what size they give you. I'd like to know that too. Becky

Dr.Kaplan put the port right under the bottom of your right rib. If you lay on it just right, it will even rub your ribs, wierd feeling. Also you asked about the band size, it all depends on the person and their anatomy. I guess once he is in you and sees the size of your insides, that is when you decides what size band. I have an AP large band which holds 14cc. I think he puts, well at least with me, 3cc in the band in surgery. I bet you're getting nervous. You will do great. I know the other girl who is having surgery Monday with you. You 2 will be just fine. Just remember to get those liquids in after surgery, you dont want to get dehydrated.