Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is this feeling?? Help!

Ok, for the last 4 months or so, I haven't felt much restriction. Really haven't felt it since right after the surgery (01/31/08). I just had a fill and now when I eat, I do feel more restriction....I guess. But, it is like an hour or more after I eat when I hurt! I thought it was sore throat, then I thought it might be my chest, but now after having it happen 3 times after eating I realize it is the band. It is weird b/c it is so high, like in my chest/throat area. It is kind of like that feeling of having a pill stuck in your throat but sharper and it gives me a headache. It isn't constant, just little jabs here and there but enough to make my head hurt and make me miserable. I understand it probably has to do with me eating too much, but I thought the band was supposed to let you know WHILE you're eating not 2 hours after? This feeling lasts for 4-5 hours after I eat. I've never thrown up with the band and I've never had pb'ing even though I know I've eaten too much before. What is my problem?

Oh yeah and if I burp or take a sharp deep breath it feels like my chest is going to explode! Similar to the gas pains after the surgery.

It sounds to me as though you are overeating some. As your body produces saliva and you swallow it, it is bringing the level of your food too high, and you are feeling it in your esophagus---which CAN stretch, so doing this is not a good thing!

Some people as soon as it hits the esophagus it triggers the gag reflex and up it all comes in PB form---others like yourself, feel the pain of it, often referred to around here as a golf ball sensation, like you swallowed a golf ball, and it will not come up nor go down.

Cut back on portions a little, maybe have 2 smaller meals in place of one big one, and see if the pain stays away. If not then it is without a doubt time to check with the Dr.

Good Luck!!!

Kat

Kat's probably right but the other thing it might be is an esophageal spasm...I've had those...and they are very painful. The pain even radiates all thru the chest and into the throat, so this may or may not be what you are describing. I found that staying away from spicy/greasy foods and watching portions, as Kat suggested, helped a lot! For immediate relief I tried my best to get quiet, relax with some deep breathing and visualization.

You definitely should call your doctor anyway as he can probably pinpoint the problem easily.

Hope you feel better soon!

Ever had any reflux probs in the past? I've heard a lot of ppl with the band describe that and they started taking something for reflux and it went away...anyhow talk to your doc. and CHEW CHEW CHEW :smile:

Ok, for the last 4 months or so, I haven't felt much restriction. Really haven't felt it since right after the surgery (01/31/08). I just had a fill and now when I eat, I do feel more restriction....I guess. But, it is like an hour or more after I eat when I hurt! I thought it was sore throat, then I thought it might be my chest, but now after having it happen 3 times after eating I realize it is the band. It is weird b/c it is so high, like in my chest/throat area. It is kind of like that feeling of having a pill stuck in your throat but sharper and it gives me a headache. It isn't constant, just little jabs here and there but enough to make my head hurt and make me miserable. I understand it probably has to do with me eating too much, but I thought the band was supposed to let you know WHILE you're eating not 2 hours after? This feeling lasts for 4-5 hours after I eat. I've never thrown up with the band and I've never had pb'ing even though I know I've eaten too much before. What is my problem?

I think that is why it's so important to eat SLOWLY and put down our fork between bites. Trust me, I know it's hard. But I think your band is telling you it's working.

Hi all,

I was banded 10/07. I received a fill of 4 cc in 01/08. I was fine for 3 months. Then all of a sudden, when ever I ate i would feel pain in my chest and it would last for a while and then go away. It then got progessivly worse. By the end of May I could not eat anything. Chewing would make me gag and I had to spit anything that had to be chewed. It got to where even Water was getting hard to take.

I had the 4 ccs take out. Then was refilled with 2cc, I was fine. Then we went back to 4ccs the 1st of August. Now I am back to where drinking any amount is painful. This is just about a month after.

How is it that I can be fine for a while and then it gets bad?

When I do throw up it is a BUNCH of think mucos. Not food or Water, but mucus. Do you think maybe my band has slipped up too high or is it something else?

The mucous is called sliming I think. I do that if I take too big of a bite...try cutting all of your food before you eat or maybe you need to have a little taken out they say it can take 2 weeks for a fill to kick in 2cc may not be enough but 4cc could be too much so try 3cc in your band. Remember to CHEW!!!

Thank everyone for your responses! I had decided that I was eating too much and too fast, but now I have that feeling in my throat and I haven't even eaten anything today so I'm wondering if it is reflux?

Ok now I've changed my mind. Can't be that I'm eating too much. This weekend I had 4 tater tots and about 9 peanuts all day Saturday and I hurt all day. It hurts in my chest and throat. Could it be acid reflux? I don't feel any burning in my stomach. Just a horrible sharp tightening in my chest/throat area. It can't be eating too much b/c I have really bad gag reflexes and I haven't thrown up since I got the band. Haven't even pb'd. This is really frustrating. I haven't gotten through to the doctor yet. Any more ideas?

I've been having my pains just in my chest and not my throat so I didn't know what it was but after having an upper GI today it seems to be acid reflux. I also have burning in my stomach and pains there and they couldn't find the band for some reason on the x-ray. Good luck to you and maybe your surgeon will have some tests done to figure out your problem, Nancy.:rolleyes:

Hello there:

Maybe it is not that you're eating too much, maybe it's WHAT you're eating?? From what I understand, peanuts will be hard to eat with the band...and tater tots...if they are fried are a greasy food, which can cause reflux. Just my opinion. Further, my fill dr. told me that people often have different signs they've eaten too much or have eaten the wrong thing. Sometimes, they get a pain in their shoulder...sometimes I feel the "stuck" feeling in my chest. That to me is an indicator that I must immediately stop. If you're not getting this feeling WHILE eating - maybe you should talk to your surgeon. Good luck and I hope my rambling helped shed a little light. :)

Hi There...I feel your pain...no really I do. I had some Soup on Monday and it was a bit spicy for my taste, but I ate it anyway. Three hours later, it started and I was in absolute pain until about an hour ago, now it just hurts a little. This isn't the first time that I have had trouble either. It seems to me that it will take a couple of days to get to feeling right after this type of irritation, wheather in your throat or as with me most of the time, in my stomach and my ribs. I go on liquids for a couple of days then start to eat again, but, watch the spices/grease and remember chew chew chew.

After reading the forum, I am finally understanding the restriction feeling.

I am still in pain even with liquids, so going to have a 1 cc taken out.

I cannot sleep at night with out "Stuff" coming out of my nose and mouthg the minute I fall to sleep. (Gross sorry I know) So I am hoping with 1 cc out, this might prevent this nightly thing from happening.

It does not matter if I have not drank anything since 5pm. It is sometimes only acid that comes up. SO hoping the 1cc out will prevent this and still give me restriction.

How much does the average person with good restriction eat.