Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone getting nervous before surgery?

I have settled into knowing that my date will be here soon and I find myself getting nervous thinking about all the bad things that could happen to me. I know I am making the right choice but I am trying to figure out how to shake off this case of nerves. Any ideas?

I understand being nervous, but there is absolutely nothing to worry about. The nurses are soooo friendly and supportive. The surgery is quick and you'll be back on your feet in no time.

southerngirl24,

I am sitting in ur boat and now just reading that people lose alot of hair what the he_ _ ????? Ok do I do this or what ?? Do I want to look like I have cancer or some disease walking around with no hair I cant imagine ??? Now I am concerned?????????????? I have read all the good stuff but now this .........if everyone goes through it why isnt anyone complaining?? I will have to talk to my surgeon about this for real ....................

Maybe we can comfort one another????? If u find out anything on this subject please forward it ot me ........fast!!!

I am flipping out, I just came from the pre-op class, and now my date has changed to 9/8/08 at 5:30 am. My nerves just went through the roof. Oh my goodness! I had to immediately start the pre-op diet today! Instead of starting it on 9/15, there goes my Labor Day....dang!:tt2:

Come on ladies let's pull it together ! We can do this!

36_2_39.gifshake those nerves.

What you are feeling is perfectly normal. We are having elective surgery that comes with risks. But think about it- we are also choosing to have a better quality of life.

We are intelligent, phenomenal women who have researched this surgery, jumped through approval hoops and even hushed up nay sayers.

We can do this!

Southern, I was exactly where you are now 6 weeks ago. I was terrified, even though I knew what I was doing was right. I had never had surgery before and I was terrified. I came through it fine, survived the liquid diet after, and with the help of loritab (awesome) made it through with minimal pain. You will be fine. Follow all of the guidelines from your surgeon and log on and ask your lap band buddies if you have any other questions.

Austex, honestly, most people do lose hair around the third month after major weight loss begins. I'm not sure why. When I did Atkins 3 years ago, it happened and others went through the same thing. The hair grows back. If it didn't, there would be people on here screaming for us to not get banded!

MSV, how exciting for you to get your surgery moved up. Congratulations! You are one step closer to a new beginning.

I'm very excited for all of you! Good Luck!

Hey southerngirl i am starting to feel a lil nervous as i only have 3 more days to go.....but i have done is made a list of the reasons why i want to get banded. Once i have read through...i feel such at ease and very postive and the nerves just seem to go away! I know that this is the right decsion for me...as each day draws closer the more excited im getting....!!

crzytchr,

thanks for the advice i will do what everyone else has done from what I have read and that is go out and by some Biotin from the drug store and pray that I am one of the ones that doesnt loose much hair.

We here I am 2 days post op and still feel nervous, but keep in mind that you will feel better and as long as you have support of your family, you will be all the better. just try not too worry too much you will be great when you get through it all. I can only focus on getting better and soon I will be eating food and feeling better soon. Good luck and stay focused on the end of the rainbow. Andrea

I have settled into knowing that my date will be here soon and I find myself getting nervous thinking about all the bad things that could happen to me. I know I am making the right choice but I am trying to figure out how to shake off this case of nerves. Any ideas?

I have been in a constant state of nerves since the day my insurance paperwork was sent in. I was scared that I wouldn't get an approval. Once I got the approval, then my nerves started about the pre-op diet and pending surgery. I think it would be better if they called me unexpectantly and said that they have moved my date up from October. That way, I wouldn't have as much time to dwell on the what ifs. IMHO that is what makes it worse.

It is sooo crazy because I know that I am doing the right thing for me and my health. Just got to shake those nerves off and think about how fine I am going to be this time next summer...:smile::wink2::lol::tt1:

My surgery is in five days. Yes, at times I worry about what can happen, but that is when I remind myself of the alternative, staying over weight. Which in itself has great risks. REMEMBER, nothing in life comes without consequences. I think if you really analyze your situation you will find the WLS to be your better bet by far. It is only human to worry, but dont let it get in the way of making life changing decisions.

I hope you find comfort in you choice before surgery.

Hugs

Paula