Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernias???!!??!!

Hey everyone! First, I hope that all of you are all doing well! Now, down to business... I have been reading several books over the last week in regards to AGB surgies. Currently, I am reading Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Band by Robert W. Sewell and Linda Rohrbough. Now, they started talking about Hiatal Hernias, and frankly I don't think I can go another month until my surgery without knowing if I have one or not. In the book they talk about how if the hernia is oolarge, they may not be able to perform the surgery. I have put a call out to my doctor, but wanted to see if any of you have had that complication? I would just hate to get on the table, to only wake up and realize they were not able to put the band in. HELP!!!! I am really kind of being a worry wart about this - but I need answers!:smile2::cursing::lol::unsure::crying::sad:

Most of the people that I've talked to knew that they had a Hernia going into the surgery...and all of them had it fixed while having the lapband put in...good luck. I think everything will be okay....but what do I know...I'm not an md....lol Have a good one!!!

Believe me, if you had a hernia, the odds are REALLY high that you'd know. If by some wild chance you DO have one and don't know, that will mean it is very small, they'll find it when doing your upper GI , and it won't matter.

I had one, and did not even know about it. My doctor told me after surgery that i had one, and he fixed it. Don"t worry.

SoCalCass,

I had my surgery on June 6, 08. I had a hiatal hernia repair also. My dr. asked me if I had a hx of reflux and because I told him I had a "bad" hx, he scheduled me for and EGD, they did find one, and he fixed it during surgery. He did however, tell me that they always check for those when they do the surgery, because you will have reflux if they don't fix it then.

Just ask your dr., to calm any fears, I am sure he will fix it if he finds one. If you had a hiatal hernia so big that they could not fix it, then believe me you would know it. You would have horrible reflux, and besides they can fix them anyway. They do surgeries for HH all the time, without doing bandings. They call it a Nissan Fundiplication, fancy word for laprascopic HH repair.

Think good thoughts.

addy

I had one and didn't know it either...absolutely no symptoms.

A barium swallow is one of the pre-op requirements and it was with that procedure that I learned I had a hernia. The radiologist was able to determine that it was a slight hernia and told me right away that he didn't feel it would hinder my ability to get the band. I was told that you can't ignore a hiatal hernia especially with Lap Band because the hernia will slowly get worse. Your diaphragm holds your digestive organs down where they belong, with a large hernia (large tear in the diaphragm) the stomach and other organs can actually migrate up through the tear in your diaphragm and into the chest...with the Lap Band that could be a terrible mess. My guess is that if you have a very severe hernia you would probably know it (reflux and pain) and it probably could keep you from being a good candiate for the Lap Band.

So, if you've had a barium swallow and nothing showed then you should be fine. If you haven't had one, getting one will ease your mind.

Edited by Jodi_620

I did not know I had one until after I had surgery. My doctor/hospital did have me sign an authorization form stating if I had one when my band was being placed that it would get fixed. I can tell you that I was nauseated every single day and now no longer experience that. I'm thinking the hiatal hernia was the cause of it.

Edited by Long2BFree

What is a hiatal hernia and what causes it?

SoCalCass,

I had my surgery on June 6, 08. I had a hiatal hernia repair also. My dr. asked me if I had a hx of reflux and because I told him I had a "bad" hx, he scheduled me for and EGD, they did find one, and he fixed it during surgery. He did however, tell me that they always check for those when they do the surgery, because you will have reflux if they don't fix it then.

Just ask your dr., to calm any fears, I am sure he will fix it if he finds one. If you had a hiatal hernia so big that they could not fix it, then believe me you would know it. You would have horrible reflux, and besides they can fix them anyway. They do surgeries for HH all the time, without doing bandings. They call it a Nissan Fundiplication, fancy word for laprascopic HH repair.

Think good thoughts.

addy

Thanks everyone for all of your stories! I appreciate it an you have all eased my fears. I feel much much much better now.

Cassie

I have one, a larger one, but it will be repaired and the band placed the same day.

teri

I had one, it was huge, and I had no symptoms whatsoever and no idea it was there. Slight heartburn rarely when I really really overate, but who doesn't have that? My doctor fixed it when he placed my band and said it's really pretty common. I did have more post op pain because of it, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Just wanted to say something about and earlier reply...my son had a Fundo done when he was 4 months old...with a fundo you cannot burp, vomit, nothing...they tie your stomach around itself so that stuff can go in, but not come out so I'm not exactly sure if thats how they really fix a Hernia or not...

I have had one for years, and my docs have told me that it will be fixed during surgery. I wasn't sure if they did it for bands, but I asked monday and they said yes, it will be fixed. Thank goodness, I'm so tired of everything I eat (well, drink lately) coming right back up my throat. bleck!

I am gonna be glad that mine is gone. My reflux started when I got the hernia. So the dr seems to think it'll go away.

Teri