Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if this is right place to post...I read (or saw) somewhere that the band is about 20-25 years old. What is the longevity of the band? How long have you had the band and does it ever need to be replaced due to "wear and tear?" Any answers to this would be appreciated from fellow bandsters :smile2:

I would also like to know how long the bands are expected to last. If/when they "wear out" do we just get a replacement band? Thanks for any information...pls

I'm no expert, but after discussing this with my doctor just last week -- he said the lapband will stop working at some point, but there is not really long term data to know what that average life span is yet... ....at the time it does wear out, you have to either leave it in not working, replace it or remove it entirely.

The book that my surgeon's office gave me after my consult has some info about this....let's see.

The Lap-Band Solution by Paul O'Brien MD (published 2007)

in the FAQs Section:

How long will the band last?

We really don't know. We have been using the Lap-Band for more than 10 years and there has been no sign of it wearing out. However, realistically we can't expect a device such as this to last 40-50 years. We do expect that somewhere down the track there will be failure of the adjusting baloon, in particular, and should this occur, the band would need to be replaced. It is going to remain to be determined if and when this should be necessary. We are hopeful that you will get good service from the Lap-Band for at least 20 years and if, after that, we have to replace it, well so be it.

The word Lap-Band is trademarked throughout the book, I'm not sure if that is indicative of one brand?

I did a report on it to get pe credit for my at home school program. The point in the band is to help you learn Portion Control. The band is removable because its not meant to be there forever. Because it is so new, there is no designated time that it is supposed to be left in. The patient advocte at UCSD has had hers for 10 years with no complications. She actually just had a baby.

We owe our happiness to a little Swedish man! :]

The band has only been used in the U.S. for about 5 years, so even the 5 year results and tests are still coming in. Add to that the band has been changed over the last 5 years, like the adjustment around the neck now can be adjusted and the older bands could not. (not sure Im using the right words). Like if you lost a lot of weight and the band around the neck of the stomach became too lose, now they can go back in and tighten it without replacing the band. (the band itself costs $2,000 for the doctors to purchase it I was told).

Another thing the Realize J&J band is even newer, is it out about a year now?

So, when you look back at older style bands and then try to figure out how to apply the stats that are available, the results are only guesses. I may not have all the dates exact, times flies when you are older. lol

To find people to talk to that have had the band for much more than 5 years you would have to find bands put in, in foreign countries.

the band has been in the US for more than 5 years. Well thats what wikipedia says.

the band has been in the US for more than 5 years. Well thats what wikipedia says.

yes, but not that much longer. Not long enough that the 5 year trials which often take another year are all out for review. Thats why some insurance says they wouldnt pay for lap band and they will pay for by pass, because there are still some 5 year studies they want to see they claim, per a nurse who gives lapband seminars. I didnt mean to say it had been only 5 years, I said the 5 year studies are just coming in.

um I believe the patient advocat at UCSD has had hers for the last 10 years and she got in the us.

In July 1994, the LAP-BAND® System became available on the market outside the U.S. to be used by the trained surgeons. After the food and Drug Administration (FDA) established U.S.-based clinical trials in 1995 (The FDA regulations require clinical trials in approved centers before an implantable device, such as the LAP-BAND® System, can be used widely in the U.S. in a surgical procedure), they approved the LAP-BAND® System for general use in June 2001. To date, over 350,000 LAP-BAND® System devices have been distributed worldwide to allow thousands of patients to lose and control their weight, reduce their health risks, and live happier, more active lives. Allergan continues to refine the LAP-BAND® System and surgical technique in conjunction with surgeons around the world to achieve better outcomes for our patients. The latest generation of the LAP-BAND® stem - the LAP-BAND AP® - became available to U.S. patients in 2007.

So in some sense you are correct but they did do the FDA study here first. I am in an FDA study right now to have the study be approved for people under 18.

Edited by Hollie519

yes, ok, so its been approved since June 2001 in the U.S. unless you were part of clinical trials. Not every study started the same date the band would have been approved, so if a study takes a year as I said, and its a 5 year study, it makes sense what the nurse who wrote a book and leads the seminars for many Dallas lap band surgeons would say not all 5 year studies have been completed. The band has not been approved in the U.S. for 10 years, 7 years total plus 2 months.

Thats why some insurances balk at paying for it. It hasnt been around long enough for really long term studies.

I keep saying it has been around more than 5 years but hasnt been around 10 years yet, it hasnt. If you know someone who got theirs in the U.S. 10 years ago, thats unusal. That means they got it 3 years before it was actually approved by the FDA who isnt know for moving very fast on approvals. And the FDA is likely to get worse as there are some drugs approved without really long term studies that have come back to haunt them lately with bad side effects.

The lady who gives these seminars had her band a few years and dropped 140 lbs and get really thin, and then she started to have a problem with reflux so bad the band had to be removed (just as a example of a side effect of having the band that can occur years later).

Im glad I got my band, and Im sure you are too, but finding 10 year studies or results is difficult.

Oh I appologize. I must have heard incorrectly than. Maybe the advocat at UCSD had the surgery out of the country. I just know her we have the same doctor but he is originally fromo Russia. Maybe she had it done there. Who knows. I'll have to look into that next time I go.

I attend Prof. O'Brien's practice and they give that advice out verbally as well - you go in knowing there is a likelihood of replacement surgery further on down the track.

Jachut~ That's awesome that you attend his practice! His book is so informative and straight forward. I love that he is straight talking.