Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone in SE Oklahoma

Sunshine2:

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the information you are giving me. I will difinitely follow your advice. Sometimes I feel like my questions are just stupid, but thanks to people like you who help those like me. It is a great help.

Now, I am really excited about going. I was really dreading someone poking around the port site, because it is still sore somwhat. Does it take a long time for the tenderness to go away?

As far as feeling hungry, I can handle that 4th fill. I wasn't hungry when it was first done, but it has only gotten worse recently. Oh, well, I have to work at it too, the band can't do all the work. lol...

I just finished my 1 1/2 mile walk and I feel good. I am glad I got in this walking routine. It makes me feel better most of the time. Now, I get to eat something.

Thanks again. You are a great help!:)

Pam

Pam -

Good for you for exercising!!!! That is a key for sure to losing this ugly weight and becoming healthy!

I just got back from FILL #12 - I think and I honestly believe this is going to be my last fill. I thought Fill #11 was, but I decided to go back and get a little more. This time he filled me only 1/10th of a cc, just a few drops.

I wanted to tell you you, I got there at 10:58am and did not walk out the door until 1:44pm. So, it took almost 3 hours!

About your port side, I know it is tender but by the 29th it will be less tender. He finds the port side with the x-ray, and ten draws a little dot so he knows here it is, so he doesn't poke too much.

I can't wait to see how it went for you. Make sure you come back and post! I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

The good news is, he is using a different formula to numb you up, it is WONDERFUL, no sting at all. I said why did you wait until my 12th fill to do this, lol.

Anyhow, I am hoping this fill takes me to my goal!

Thanks Sunshine2:

I don't dread going now, in fact I look forward to it. Glad he got some type of new medication to help with the bee sting. lol. I am a big baby when it come to pain.

Where did you get your fill done? Just wondering. As I said, I went to Mexico and they really impressed me with the doctors, nurses, and facilities. The place was so clean that you could almost eat off of the floor. It was a great experience.

I will definitely let you know how it went on the 29th. I am losing some, but not very much at this time. I know that will change after a while.

Pam

Pam, I just saw your post, I have been out of town.

I had my surgery done by Dr. Gorospe and Dr. Kirk, here in Tulsa. My insurance paid for it, so that is why I went to them. Dr. Kirk is the one who does the fills, like I said, you will really like him.

Well, you will lose slowly until you get that perfect "sweet spot". You'll get it, just be patient.

Sunshine2:

How do I know when I get to that "sweet spot"? I know it will be different for everyone, but how do you know that you have found the perfect spot in the banding process.

I have struggled the last couple of night with craving hunger, and have eat more than I probably should. I do not get to eat much in the day time, but I am able to drink lots of sugar-free flavored Water. At least 60 to 80 ozs a day. I think I am doing good with the fluids. Its the regular food I have trouble with.

I can't wait to meet Dr. Kirk. The office people seem very nice also.

Thanks so much Sunshine2.

Pam

Pam,

When you hit your sweet spot, you should only be able to eat 2 to 3 oz of food, which is about 1/2 to 1 cup of food. You will also be totally satisfied and not hungry for 4 hours, sometimes more.

Sometimes, you can only eat a few bits of food, and your satisfied. I find that each meal is different, I don't eat but around 1/4 cup of food for bfast - more like 1/2 for lunch and dinner, I usually can eat more. But, again, everyone is different.

I hope that help.

Hi Sunshine2:

Thanks you sooo much for all the information about Dr. Kirk and you were right. I really enjoyed his personality and his bed side manner. When he ask me if I had any concerns. I told him about my conversation with you on the internet. I did not know your actual name, but he knew right off when I told you had been recently had our 12th fill and he knew who you were. He did not give me your name so there was no confidentiality broken. I informed him about all the good things you had to say about him.

I go back the end of October and now I do not dread it now. I can definitely tell I had a fill, but it isn't too bad. I haven't had any nausea or throwing up.

Hope you are having a good week.

Pam

I'm glad it was a good experience for you. I am scheduled to go back next Monday (the 6th) for my 13th fill. grrrrr.

Lets keep in touch!

Hi Sunshine2:

I need help with head hunger... I believe that is one of my problems. I shouldn't be hungry between meals, but I am. I am hungry when I least expect it, but I shouldn't be. I crave certain foods with a passion, but don't know why.

Could this be head hunger?

Help!

Pam

Since you have only had 1 fill, you might be experiencing real hunger.

Cravings are definitely "head hunger". Head hunger is more of a "want" vs. more of a real stomach growling hunger. I experience head hunger a lot when I'm bored, therefore, I try and read when I'm bored to help with my head hunger.

Something very weird happened to me during my last fill, I am actually looser than I was before. It's so frusterating, so I'm going in for fill #13 today. I'm so tired of these darned fills! lol

Anyhow, try and stick with lots of Protein, this will also help with head hunger and real hunger. If you can eat chickin, try and munch on some chicken in between meals, this will help. Protein is a life saver when it comes to curbing hunger, even with head hunger it seems to make me feel full and I don't "crave" things.

Do you have another fill scheduled?

Edited by Sunshine2

I have been thinking about you. I hope you got it resolved about the looseness. You sound like you are really intuned to your band. Sometimes, I can't even tell it's there. I don't think I could afford to have my band filled that often. $400. a fill is going to eat my lunch.

I am following your advice about eating the Protein first and no liquids during the meal. I think I have been doing something wrong with my eating and I will tell you to see if I am right.

I have been getting hungry or not feeling the restriction after eating my lunch here at school. My lunch consisted mostly of Soups. The Soups are quicker to go through and therefore you do not feel the restrictions? Therefore, I will feel the hunger quicker?

Today, I ate my Protein first (two chicken drumsticks) and then my oven baked potatoes with onions. I feel very full and I have waited 30 to 40 minutes before my lunch and after lunch to drink anything.

Thanks for your advice.

Pam

Yes, you need to have a good solid Protein, Soups are good, but they are thin and will go thru the band quickly.

Try and stick with some of your baked chicken, or fish, or even a tender beef tips would be good.

I had fill #13 and I told Dr. Kirk you saw him, he remembered you and he said any time someone brings up the girl with 12 fills, he knows exactly who they are talking about. I hold the record for the most amount of fills. lol.:wub:

Anyhow fill #13 seems to be doing pretty good. I might have to go back for 1 more fill, but we are very close to getting it right I think.

I went out for lunch today and could only eat 1/2 my enchilada, so I feel satisfied with that. I try and not eat the fattening stuff, but today I had lunch with a friend who drove a long way to see me, so I felt like I had to eat her favorite mexican place.:wub:

I met another girl yesterday, she was soooooo skinny, looked so good, and she was having fill #4. She had her band in 2005. She said she was only 12 lbs from her goal, and hadnt had a fill in over 18 months. I was a bit jealous because I'm in the office 1 a month it seems like. grrrrr.

Anyhow, I think I'm just a strange genetic freak. lol.

Hi Sunshine2"

Hope your 13th adjustment is doing better for you. I have a question for you. I had my first fill on the 29th of August, which is a week and 4 days ago. I feel like I can eat anything again. Do I have to wait a whole month for another fill? Can I go back next week, which will be a little over two weeks.

Thanks

Pam

Hey Pam.

To answer your question, I think you can. Have you made another appointment yet? It takes sometimes 4 weeks to get in. So I would make your appointment asap. I doubt you can get in next week. But you can always try.

Fill #13 is going better. I have a very sore throat, my entire family is sick, so I haven't been eating much. Not sure if its because of my sore throat or the fill, I guess time will tell.

I actually already made my appointment for another fill, but I can always cancel it if I feel I don't need it. Right now, things are pretty good.

I firmly believe one of the keys with success is stay on top of your fills. You should not be able to eat more than a cup of food (solid food, good protein), and should not be hungry for 4 hours later. If you are, you need a fill.

Hey Sunshine2:

Thanks for the quick reply. I am definitely going to call this Monday. Tried today, but forgot they close at noon. I can definitely eat more than one cup of solid Protein and I am hungry between meals.

I am also confused about the Protein drinks. I have found a Protein Drink that is fanastic. It is called "Bolthouse Farms", Mocha Cappuccino with whey Protein. It does not have any sugar added, 178 calories per 8 ozs, and is low fat. I am confused when I can have the Protein Drinks. I have a Protein Drink for Breakfast (slimfast optima), because I do not have time to eat during the week day. Because of the calories of the drink I am afraid to drink very much.

Glad to hear your fill is doing better. You really sound like you are on top of everything. Hope you have a great weekend.

Pam