Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How am I suppose to lose my 10%?

Hi,

I have my first appt with the orientation I already have my referral so my surgery date is about 6 months out. Now I'm suppose to lose my 10% or more so I'm figuring 30lbs I haven't lost 30lbs at one time in what seems like forever i"m good at the 10lbs then gain. Any ideas?:thumbup:

Hi,

I have my first appt with the orientation I already have my referral so my surgery date is about 6 months out. Now I'm suppose to lose my 10% or more so I'm figuring 30lbs I haven't lost 30lbs at one time in what seems like forever i"m good at the 10lbs then gain. Any ideas?:thumbup:

Is it 10% of your entire body weight or just your excess weight? What is your current weight and height?

There are definitely ways to lose. You can start by just changing the types of foods you eat. Focus on lean Proteins, tons of veggies, stay away from too many starchy vegetables like potatoes, rice, sweets, etc. Also if you are not already drinking sugar free beverages, that might help. Drinking tons of Water makes a huge difference as well. Exercise, even if it is only a walk around the block, can also make a huge impact.

You might try WW. 30 pounds in 6 months is totally do-able on that plan and they have 2 different options so you can tailor it to your eating style. (not a WW employee just been on it or off of it but getting on it for years) You can do it; just tell yourself it is temporary and you are doing it for one specific goal (the surgery) and it can happen. Believe in yourself instead of saying "I can't"

If not WW, does your surgeon recommend a plan or a specific diet?

I've lost 32 just since July 25 following my surgeon's preop plan. So it can be done.

if 30 pounds overwhelms you, set a smaller goal for shorter periods of time. Break your 6 months up and divide your weight. Set your goal a little lower and when you break through it and than some, you'll feel great.

If you are not in a supervised diet setting for your 10% weight loss prequal I would recommend weight watcher also. You need some structure and the weekly weigh ins to keep you on track. 6 months felt like forever to me and I was glad I was held accountable on a every month basis.

I was gonna say ww also. It really is a great program with people there to help motivate you and encourage you to get through this 30 pounds!!! Good-Luck to you

I agree w/ HeatherO...I'd go low carb. I had to do low carb for my pre-op diet and was told to lose 10% of my excess body weight. They told me to do Atkins and I lost 15lbs in 3 weeks....so 30 is TOTALLY doable! I have a hard time losing weight due to thyroid and PCOS so don't psych yourself out. It's VERY doable, set mini goals and you'll get there. :thumbup:

When my nutritionist told me I had to lose 10% (16 lbs) of my excess weight before surgery, I thought for sure I'd fail! But I started to kind of follow the pre-op meal plan (Protein shake, snack, 300 calorie entree & veggies, snack, 300 calorie entree & veggies) and guess what? 6 weeks later, I've lost the 10% (actually 12%) and still have another 4 weeks until surgery!

You can do it! :tt2: Low Carb or WW, either is good! Just take it one day at a time!

Another thing I did, was not use my scale! I visited my primary doctor every two weeks for weight and blood pressure checks (no charge!) and the little atta-girls they gave me helped A LOT!!!! My own little cheering section! :eek:

Good luck!:thumbup:

I'm kind of worried too...my pre-op appointment was on the 28th and my surgery is on the 3rd...I was told I need to lose 10 pounds in that time period and I have also been told I can have 3-4 EAS AdvantEDGE drinks and a Lean Cuisine everyday and that's it...I feel sick all day and I don't know what to do...:smile:

WW is great if you like support groups, have a long time to lose it (because it is slower weight loss...1-2 pounds a week) and want to eat fairly "normally" (their flex plan is great)

Atkins is great if you are a loner-type, can be tough and cut out most carbs and processed foods, or need to lose really fast.

Both work, both have their place. Choose which you want to commit to and then go go go!

And Rodriguezequal I was on a similar diet (3 eas carbadvantEDGE shakes a day, 3 oz lean Protein, green veggies that's it) for 5 weeks.

You DO feel shakey and weird until your body adapts. It is hard to lose 10 pounds in a week but hang in there. Your surgeon has his reasons for doing this to you. I "cheated" the first few weeks and he couldn't place my band (even though I lost 15 pounds) SO hang in there and it will be over with before you know it! I had to do it so long because I cheated at first. Wish I'd just done what he told me to the first time; I'd have been into the mushies stage by now! LOL