Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Supper weight gain and now liquids

Hey all,

Well since news of my surgery date I have had dinners everynight and gained 12 pounds in 3 weeks!! YIKES! Today is day one on my pre-op shakes before surgery for 2 weeks. My question is - how much weight did you gain during Last Supper Syndrome and how much did you before surgery. I only have 2 weeks to lose this and hopefully more. Were you able to exercise? I was 255 and now 267. :cursing:

I only had one "last supper" and trust me it won't be your last. I'm still able to enjoy all of the foods I used to just in smaller portions. I lost 9 lbs just by cutting out regular cokes before my surgery.

I lost 15 pounds with my 1st preop diet (my version that didn't shrink my liver) and 17 so far with surgeon's preop diet (which BETTER shrink my liver) and I go to be banded 8/29. I only had 1 last meal and don't think it made me gain much; this time I know better than to have that attitude.

Like the other poster said, you will most likely still eat all the foods you like. Just less.

I didn't have a preop diet. I even went out to my favorite italian place at 7 pm the night before my surgery! Lucky for me I lost 5 pounds from the time they gave me my date to the surgery. I did the mini tour of food and then realized I would still be able to eat whatever I wanted and I would have to lose EVEN MORE weight... so that nipped that in the bud.

I had the last supper effect for 1 week before my pre-op diet and gained 4 lbs. I did my pre-op diet for 2 weeks before surgery. It was a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch. dinner was a 6oz piece of lean meat and veggies. I lost 15lbs those 2 weeks. You can do it. Just stick with it and don't cheat on your pre-op diet. Cheating will only slow your weight loss. As another poster said, you will still be able to eat normal foods after you're back on solids. I am 2 months post-op and can eat whatever I want. I just get full on alot smaller portions! Good luck to you! :cursing:

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice. I still refuse to believe I gained that much. Maybe my scale is broken. hahahah. I see my MD on Friday hopefully I am not as heavy. Day 1 almost done.

Hey all,

Well since news of my surgery date I have had dinners everynight and gained 12 pounds in 3 weeks!! YIKES! Today is day one on my pre-op shakes before surgery for 2 weeks. My question is - how much weight did you gain during Last Supper Syndrome and how much did you before surgery. I only have 2 weeks to lose this and hopefully more. Were you able to exercise? I was 255 and now 267. :thumbup:

Believe it or not, my surgeon's office never weighed me prior to surgery. The dietitian did at my pre-op appt. after I told her. I didn't have a preop diet at all; just liquids the day before surgery. I probably gained 5 days in the 11 days between preop and surgery (but I'm not sure). My "LAST" meal was the buffet at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi MS. It was fantabulous!

Ckelly...my advice to you....do what your surgeon says no matter how HARD. You will get past it and eventually be able to eat the foods you love but in smaller quantities. For now, follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter!

im so glad i found this thread im on my last night tonight have just had my last supper i think iv eaten enought food for a week today lol also feeling a little emotional like im saying goodbye to someone pre op starts tomoro milk only diet but luckily only for 6 days nice to know im not the only one with the last meal thing going on

Its not like you are banded and instantly so tight you cant eat. I did lose 9 lbs dieting a bit and walking pre surgery. Iv now had a fill, 2 weeks ago, bummer, it didnt give me any restriction, and some folks say it could take up to 6 fils to get to my sweet spot, that not everyone feels restriction right away, first few fills.

I only wish it was as you seem to indicate, that I cant eat everything now. Its all will power baby since my surgery, no help from the band. There isnt any food I cant eat. Iv been having turkey bacon and a fried egg in the morning for Protein, and they told me after my fill I wouldnt be able...guess what, my fill doctor was wrong.

You could have no restriction for months and months, depending on timing of things. You dont need a one last dinner, lots of time before you cant eat. The only thing is for a month after surgery you probably wouldnt be allowed to eat anything worse than mushy food.< /p>

I can't believe you weren't weighed at your consult visit! Everytime I walk in the door of a doc's office the first place we go is the scale, the doc who doesn't weigh me is my dentist and optometrist!

I am somewhat discouraged because I really haven't had any 'last supper', I just can't get motivated to exercise. I hope now that I am approved I will do better and take some weight off.

I know, Mamacj, that's crazy, huh?! They just used the weight I gave them when I filled in my paperwork prior to the appt. It isn't normal. They were stunned that they had not weighed me themselves. Luckily, I didn't lie (probably the first time in my life). My friend has the same surgeon and had surgery two weeks before me and they definitely weighed her.

Well, I guess I look like I need to be weighed everytime! It never really bothered me until I got over 300, then it just seemed to be torture.