Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here from Soldotna, AK

Hi, there!

My name is Stacey and I'm 39 with 17 years experience! I have two daughters, 4 kitties and 4 parrots and yes, I live in Alaska (but no igloo and no dinners of whale blubber!). I also have two grandkids which are my sunshine!

To put it bluntly, I look like a fire hydrant. I don't wear red because dogs pee on me! I am 5'2" and weigh 230 pounds. I have Fibromyalgia, back pain, OA in my knees and hips and generally feel like I am carrying a musk ox all the time. Everything hurts and sleep is only when I am totally exhausted. I also have NASH (at least that's what my doctor thinks I have) and my last blood panel showed I have alost no platelets.

My doctor suggested the Lap Band because diets just don't work with me and I end up getting hypoglycemic and really sick.

I am on Medicare but have supplemental insurance through BCBS of Illinois through my husband. They are supposed to share the expenses but usually wind up fighting with each other.

My questions are how do I get started, what do I need to give Medicare and/or my insurance company, how much should I trust my doctor to do and how much should I do myself and how long does it usually take, beginning to end.

Thanks for any/all answers and have a great day!

Hugs,

Stacey:confused:

IF you have local surgeons find one or two who take your ins and go to a free seminar. That's a GREAT place to start. If you decide you want the band, they should help you get started on the ins process.

Good luck!

Hi Stacey! I used to live in North Pole and I too, have fibromyalgia. I do not have any suggestions for Medicare but do know any insurance company is a huge pain to deal with. I was supposed to have the surgery back in March after getting everything lined up. At the very last minute I was getting ready for my EKG and the Doctors office called down to day surgery to say that there had been a mistake and I could not have surgery unless I paid out of pocket. Grrr....:tt1: I was not very happy, if you can imagine. (I was on my husbands insurance and so the hospital [his employer] decided only employees were covered and not spouses) So here I find myself 5 months later and we are having to pay out of pocket. The good news is, this time around it has been uneventful and less stressfull.:thumbup: My surgery is scheduled for Oct. 1. After all of this, I am excited and nervous. Would you go to Anchorage for surgery? PM me if I can help answer any questions or if you just want to chat. Best of Luck! ;)