Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New member/reading posts for months!

Hi All-

I have been reading posts for months, but only today did I finally decide to join.

I enjoyed "watching from the sidelines", but I finally decided I wanted to play too!!

I have learned so much from eveyone on this site, thank you!!

I have been researching the lap band for about 6-9 months now.

I had to wait for open enrollment at my office to change insurance companies.

Pacificare (PPO) wouldn't even pay a Dr.'s visit that his nurse submitted saying "obesity consultation".

I now have Kaiser as of May 1st and my new doctor has reffered me for a Bariatric Group/Health Education appointment (they only have 8 appointments a month). I was lucky to get a June 22nd date.

My doctor "believes" Kaiser will only cover Gastric Bypass --- NO Way!

Not for me. I called the benefits department and the exclusions do not include lap band. I know they use UCLA Medical Center (they do Gastric Bypass as well as lap band). I actually looked into UCLA when I found out Pacificare wouldn't cover the surgery -I figured I would take a loan - $22,000 -$25,000 - I almost dropped the phone!

Needless to say I can't wait until 6/22 - 6PM!!

If Kaiser tries to bully me into the Gastric Bypass - I am going to fight, fight, fight!! You all have given great amunition!! I will print up all the positive facts about the Lap Band. I am going to be prepared, show them I did my homework and they WILL agree to the Lap Band!!!

I am so looking forward to being banded. Is there anyone in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles area) that has dealt with Kaiser Woodland Hills?

I will keep everyone updated!!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

I haven't dealt with Kaiser but I live in Van Nuys. We should like you know meet sometime or something. LOL!! We can you know like talk Valley language.

Good luck with the insurance issues. I have Pacificare PPO and tried to get reimbursed but no luck.

Welcome to LBT, and goodbye to lurking status! So glad you decided to make it official! I don't know the answers to your insurance questions, but, YOU GO GIRL! Just wanted to say HI!

Penni -

Yes, let's do coffee sometime, but as far as the valley talk--- no can do, I am a transplant from NY. I've been here 4 1/2 years and I am still homesick!!

Would love to "pick your brain" in person sometime.

Let me know.

Antoinette

Hello Antoinette,

Best of luck to you and fighting your insurance company. I wish you all the success in the world. It is nice meeting you. Penni is a doll so hopefully you two can get together. Best wishes,Teresa

Antoinette....Welcome to the family. You sound like a determined woman....that ole insurance company doesn't stand a chance...You go girl!!! Keep us updated with how it goes. Best wishes to you.

Hello, I would like to introduce myself. I am 32 years old and a mother of two girls ages 7 and 8. I've been reading your posting for months at a time and I too decided it was time for me to join in the group. I truely enjoy reading every single one of your posts. Like all of you I will be getting banded on July 12, 2005 in Monterrey, Mexico with Dr. Roberto Rumbaut. I'm kind of nervous but excited. I will be going to Mexico by myself. Which I would ...love for someone to accompaning me there. I really need your support. I've been ...overweight all of my life. I'm not happy with myself at the weight I am now. However, I'm looking forward of chatting with all of you.

Wow, July 12th! That is right around the corner! I will be on a cruise the week of July 10th, otherwise I would of loved to keep you company in Mexico.

Good luck to you and definitely keep us updated!!!

I went to what I thought was an appointment with a nutrionist at Kaiser and it turned out to be a seminar for Gastric Bypass surgery.

About 1/2 way through thank goodness someone asked about the lapband.

The nutrionist was very abrupt and said "Kaiser doesn't cover that surgery".

Funny, 3 different people at Kaiser told me over the phone that they do. I switched my insurance for that reason.

Their 200+ page handbook says that they cover bariatric surgery. To me that would cover quite a few different surgeries!!! Including Lap Band.

Under exclusions, lap band is not mentioned.

Now what?? This was 2 nights ago and I am still fuming!

I guess it is time to start writing letters. Everyday if I have to.

Wish me luck!!