Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this site. Have been banded for over a year (since May 07) and have had nothing but complications. I am worried, and wondering if removing it is the answer for me. It's taken me over a year to get my surgeon to take my complications seriously and I have been hospitalized three times in the past few months for stomach spasms. I wanted to join this site to read about other peoples experiences and share my own. I am very disappointed and tired of being in constant fear and pain. I don't want to give up on this method or technology but I can not physically or mentally afford to keep suffering in this way. I'm waiting on some tests (scope and starting me on steriods) to see if this helps- if not removing it may be the only option. Just wanted to put my experience out there because in all the research I have done about the lap band I have not read about anyone having a similar experience to mine in terms of spasms and such. Glad a site like this one is out here, hope it will help the next person make an educated decision about the band and inspire others to keep working with it.

Kt

Could you describe these spasms in more detail? I haven't heard of anyone have spasms to the point of being hospitalized and I read this board waaaaayyyy too much. This is interesting and I'd like to hear more. Have you gotten a second opinion?

Hello Kt. I am very sorry to hear you have had complications. I haven't experiences spasms but I would be interested in knowing what could be causing this to happen as well. Hopefully the tests will come back and you will be able to get this issue resolved.

Hi KT

Sorry you are having so many problems with the band. Hopefully they will get resolved soon. I can't imagine being in discomfort for more than a year.

There is lots of support on this forum, I hope it helps you get through this rough time.

Are you in the GTA? There are lots of us in this area, and we sometimes get together for "in person" support/lunches.

Thank you everyone for your support!

I unfortunately don't know too many details about these spasms I have been getting. I know this started about a month into having the band, but my difficulties keeping even liquids down started into the second week post op.

I have been hosptialized for it because when they happen, the pain is so intense I am close to passing out- I literally cannot sit, stand, lay or find any comfortable position to be in. The pain worsens for more then 8 hours until I take the anti spasmatic drugs whcih do calm it down, with iv in a few minutes, and by pill form about half an hour.

They keep me there because the pain I experience also describes things like appendix problems, kidney problems, and gull bladder as well- so they test me for everything under the sun! Turns out, all three times, the reason I have pain all over my stomach and even into my back is because the "spasms" are so intense that my stomach is expanding and putting pressure on these other surrounding organs. This, as they explained, is a sign that my stomach could very well rupture because there is nowhere for the pressure to go.

The xrays all three times I was hosptialized showed the emerg docs that my band is (to them) in the correct place. The only reason I am hesitant to trust these doctors are because only one of the three had ever heard of the lap band! The others had to do research as I was being tested.

My doctor in Toronto (not to give names because I am not trying to bash them) until yesterday did not seem to take seriously my difficulties and pain, though I have been to them several times with these problems. Although I am sure some people are truly exaggerating or perhaps just making excuses for poor eating habits and no weight loss, this is not the case with me- I think the doctor honestly assumed that I was one of those people but that does not excuse me going for over a year with no help!

I am not sure what else to say about the spasms, I am going to see my doctor this week (Thursday) so he can see the emerg reports from those three doctors, and he says he wants to remove the final 3 cc's left in my band (which previously they would not let me because they said it would cause slippage). Apparently he will schedule a scope (perhaps on thursday, I am not sure) and also start me on steroids. I have to ask about why steroids, and what this will do.. I am hesitant to take yet another drug! I don't like the idea of filling myself up with medication since this band but I do want it to succeed.

Hope this helps! And if anyone out there reads this and has had similar experiences please let me know- I am eager to learn about them!

Kt

kt, I am so sorry for your issues! My gosh, how have you kept your sanity??

I did have what I would call esophageal spasms when my band was too tight. The pain would be very intense right under my sternum and then a duller pain would radiate up my esophagus to my throat...sometimes feeling like I was choking. These problems (along with a bit of reflux) were all resolved overnight by removing 0.3cc of Fluid.

It is obvious that your band is way too tight. I cannot imagine why your doctor has allowed this to go on. I do hope you get some relief after they unfill you. I'll bet you will. Hang in there!

In the meantime, have they advised you to drink a nutrition booster like Ensure?? Get your nutrients in any way you can!