Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this Forum and waiting for the surgery

Hi,

I am finally finished with all of my appointments and waiting for a surgery date. I find myself wanting to pig out on everything, thinking that these are things that I will never eat again. I also feel guilty and feel like I should be making a big effort to lose some weight for the sake of the surgery being easier for the surgeon. I am sure others have felt this way. I am just looking for suggestions and would love to pair up with some of you who have already passed where I am at and someone that is at the same place that I am so that we could support each other through the process.

I am looking forward to the surgery but also a bit aprehensive.

Laura

Hey Laura,

Congrats on your decision and commitment! Just a little bit of advice regarding your "pig out" question. Many doctors have a Pre-Op diet that lasts for a period before your surgery. My personal experience was a 2 week lo-carb diet to help shrink my liver. Some people have a more rigorous pre-op diet, some do not have a pre-op diet at all. My best advice is this: 1) Talk to your surgeon/surgeon's office and get an idea of what you will be "prescribed" for your pre-op period. 2) Do NOT binge. There is no point. I had a "last supper" myself, but it was just ONE meal. You MUST remember....you should be able to and WILL be able to eat....For The Rest Of Your Life. You'll be able to have a (small) steak for dinner, a piece of cake on your birthdayk, etc. It's all just LESS, and with better decisions made before-hand.

Hope that helps some!

Laura, don't forget that you don't have to go on a "farewell tour" of your favorite foods. The band is a wonderful tool and will help you limit what you eat. Everyone is different and so they may have a few foods that don't work for them, or that don't work for them early on...but you'll be able to eat again, promise!

Follow what your surgeon prescribes for you, and you'll come through with flying colors! Absorb the super support that comes from these boards, but DON'T compare what your doctor says with what other folks have been instructed to do, k? It's just confusing!

You don't have to say goodbye to foods.. I thought the same thing and ate like a horse leading up to the surgery! I only ended up having to lose a few extra pounds after the surgery because of it. Just remember you will eat all the foods just in moderation. Some people arent able to tolerate some foods but really for the majority I wouldn't panick. I have lost 46 pounds and can eat any food I want just no more than 1/2 a cup and I am stuffed.

I agree with what every one else is saying. I am 7 months out, have lost most of the weight, and I can eat just about anything as long as I am careful. Don't feel like you are giving up everything.

Plus there is no reason to wait for the band to get started on getting healthy . . . many people lose quite a bit before banding which gives them a head start.

Since I know more people that have had the gastric bypass or the sleeve I am getting confused. It seems like the lapband is a little more flexible for food intake. My friend with the sleeve is not able to eat certain foods at all and he is a year out.

Thank you for your kind responses. I only hope now that I am accepted because my PCP just told me that she can write the referral letter but not a weight loss history since I am a new patient. We just moved to this area. Now I will have to contact my old doc and see if she will write a letter. How motivated will she be? A bump in the road I guess. Maybe BCBS will be flexible... I hope.

Laura

Big Jim,

I went to three seminars before deciding to get the surgery, one in Scottsdale and one in Mesa and now in Tucson. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling until I went to the one in Tucson. I was impressed with the information offered at the seminar held by Dr. Burpee. However, I wish there was more contact as you go through the process of getting to the surgery. I still don't know when I see Dr. Burpee again and I still don't know is all my documentation is in. I wish someone would kind of just keep in touch.

I went through the seasawing of choices. I wanted the sleeve but it is not approved through my insurance. My choices are the bypass or the lapband. After finally talking to lapbanders, I am comfortable with the lapband choice but for a time there I felt very indecisive.

I wish you luck and maybe to keep in touch,,, I am hoping for surgery in September.

Laura

Could I ask what helped any of you choose the lapband over the other surgeries? I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems like some of the issues with the lapband are a bit more annoying than the other surgeries?

What about slippage? I understand it is quite painful. I know that Dr. Burpee does some double stitching, etc. That gives me some peace but sometimes I wonder if the other isn't a better choice. Once healed you should be good forever? As long as you work the program as we all should?

I think that the decision making process is probably the worst. Once the surgery is done you don't have to worry about making the right decision anymore.

Thank you to all of you who addressed the pigging out / panic eating questions. Even though I don't eat anything all that exciting as a general rule, the thought of perhaps never eating some foods, kind of set me off.

If seems like us newbies are kind of high maintenance, thank you all for your patience. We need the voices of experience.

Laura

Hi yes lets keep in touch. I'd like to be able to talk with a fellow lap bander and share what we find out.

Hey Laura,

Congrats on your decision and commitment! Just a little bit of advice regarding your "pig out" question. Many doctors have a Pre-Op diet that lasts for a period before your surgery. My personal experience was a 2 week lo-carb diet to help shrink my liver. Some people have a more rigorous pre-op diet, some do not have a pre-op diet at all. My best advice is this: 1) Talk to your surgeon/surgeon's office and get an idea of what you will be "prescribed" for your pre-op period. 2) Do NOT binge. There is no point. I had a "last supper" myself, but it was just ONE meal. You MUST remember....you should be able to and WILL be able to eat....For The Rest Of Your Life. You'll be able to have a (small) steak for dinner, a piece of cake on your birthdayk, etc. It's all just LESS, and with better decisions made before-hand.

Hope that helps some!

I am wondering if your insurance covered your surgery or if you had to pay our of pocket. The reason I ask is that your starting weight is less than mine by about 20 lbs and my insurance won't cover me right now because my BMI is still too low. Can you give some advice?

Hi,

I am finally finished with all of my appointments and waiting for a surgery date. I find myself wanting to pig out on everything, thinking that these are things that I will never eat again. I also feel guilty and feel like I should be making a big effort to lose some weight for the sake of the surgery being easier for the surgeon. I am sure others have felt this way. I am just looking for suggestions and would love to pair up with some of you who have already passed where I am at and someone that is at the same place that I am so that we could support each other through the process.

I am looking forward to the surgery but also a bit aprehensive.

Laura

Most surgeons prescribe a preop diet, but mine did not. It may depend on how much a person weighs and how the fat is distributed. I ate anything and everything that I wanted. I didn't eat too much, but I didn't diet. If I wanted it, I ate it. I can eat most foods now, but some just aren't the same when you have to chew it to pieces (movie theater popcorn).

I was more than apprehensive before surgery, I was terrified. I had never had surgery at all, and the thought of the general anesthesia frightened me. Well, the surgery was a breeze and I am loving my band now. I have no regrets. Good luck with your surgery!

hello laura

I went to my first support group last night and it sure helped me to make my finall decion to having it done. It was nice to hear from ones that had it done. So now I start my first step on the 8th and I'm excited to get going. WISH ME LUCK

Hi Big Jim,

I am happy that you found yourself able to make that dicision. I worried this a long time. And I probably willl right up to the day for the surgery. I am in the waiting period now, just waiting for the phone call.

Good luck and maybe you will be in surgery by the time I am :-)

Laura

I am wondering if your insurance covered your surgery or if you had to pay our of pocket. The reason I ask is that your starting weight is less than mine by about 20 lbs and my insurance won't cover me right now because my BMI is still too low. Can you give some advice?

Hi Gabi!

I did insurance. My BMI was 40.7 when I started out. Although my starting weight was 230, I am only 5'3", so that probably makes a big difference. For my insurance, BMI of 35-40 requires comorbities for approval, and over 40 is "morbid obesity" which is approved.

HTH