Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking others like me....

Hi,

I'm 33, 5ft 1in. tall and I currently weight 185, making my BMI at 35. I've just recently decided to get more information on lap banding. I had gestational diabetes with my second child and I recently got my lab work back from my dr that said my triglycerides were very high. I'm afraid that I am on the fast track to developing adult onset diabetes and a multitude of other health problems.

At the risk that I may sound offensive to others out there (which is NOT my intention at all), I am looking for others that have had the lapband procedure that weighed under 200 lbs. My weight is very high for someone my height and my BMI is in the obese range but most of the threads I read are from people who were well over 200 lbs. The reason I'm looking for someone around my weight that has had this done is because I want to know how successful they were at this weight range, if it was harder to get insurance to approve, if it was harder to get the weight off and just your experiences overall. I'm well on my way to reach 200 and I just don't want to get there or put my overall health in jeopardy. It's time to take action now!

This website has been invaluable to me as I have researched this procedure. I'm still very early on in the process. I have an appointment scheduled this Thursday with the True Results Clinic in Fort Worth and I am looking into either Dr. Richard Carter or Dr. Adam Smith. Has anyone out there used them? How was there bed side manner? What is their philosophy on re-fills?

Thank you for any light anyone can shed as I begin this scary... but exciting process!

Love from Texas.... jmh

Hi am not 5'1 but my coworker is 5 feet and weighed 187 and got approved she also has diabetes, elevated cholesterol too. we have Aetna Hmo and went through Neweigh here in houston. don't give up she lost 13 pounds from her surgery date to her 2 week post op but also lost 8 pounds pre op . hang in there there will be a wait peroid for nutrition counseling, pshyc evaluation and so on , we had a 3 month waiting period but hey how long have we been overweight right?

Hey there JMH, I too am 5'1" and right around 200lbs. I was banded on the 21st and have lost about 10-15lbs from the pre-op until now. For being as heavy as I am, I was lucky not to have any other co-morbidities except for mild sleep apnea.

I can honestly say that this has been one of the best choices I've ever made and would not change anything. I didn't have any problems with insurance approving me and though I've only been banded for a few days, I still feel like there's been a huge change.

I don't know about the True Results doctors, but I can say that the Scott & White Bariatric program was utterly amazing. Good luck to you on your journey, it may be a long proccess but it's well worth it!

Hi. I am well over 200 lbs. so I can't answer those questions, but I am having my procedure done through True Results in Houston and I have been very happy with them. They are quick, efficient, helpful, and very nice!! Good luck to you!!

Hello,

I understand your concern. I am 5'2 and was at 200 lbs. I had my surgery on July 21st and used True Results in the HEB area. My BMI just made it and I also was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am 44. I had some real issues getting approved via Cigna, but True Results helped a great deal with my delay. One reason I was not approved quickly was since my BMI was under 40 I HAD to have co-morbid factors. Well high blood pressure was a factor, but it needed to be unmanageable. True results did not document that nor did they document any co morbid issues with me. After 6 months of dealing with them, I had DR Carters office in Arlington ask for my paper work from True Results....once they got them they submitted it to Cigna themselves only to discover that I needed to be in a center of excellence. Dr. Carter is amazing but he is not in a center of excellence. I finally got my surgery done at UT Southwestern.

My concern was the same as yours. I also has gestational diabetes and was concerned with it going full blown since I was tipping the scale at 200.

I am proud that I took the proactive alternative and had the surgery.

I actually started a year ago with this process and I was 200lbs. But due to all the delays, dr appointments and calls to Cigna i gain 7 more pounds.

I am now at 180 and it has just been a month for me.

I am on my way to a healthier me and so are you.

ps. I plan on going with Dr carter as I live closer to him, but he makes you wait 3 months for a fill. UT South Western makes you wait 5 to 6 weeks after surgery....so what works best for you.

PPS I have known Dr Carter years before he was doing lap band. He did surgery on my husband to remove fibroids. I went to see him about the lap band and he did recall my husband....he was just as and if not NICER than he was 10 years ago. He is WONDERFUL!

Much luck and blessings!

:)