Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Discomfort While Eating Just Part of the Package?

I dont know that it should be painful all the time - if it is always painful you're probably a bit too tight if you're sure you're eating small bites and chewing.

But realistically, I think a lot of things will feel uncomfortable to eat and eating will never feel the same as pre band. I dont have a lot of pain but the only things that cause no sensation and feel like pre band are things like Cookies and chocolate. Most meals I will get a few signals to stop for a minute or two to avoid a bigger blockage. Sometimes I really feel wistful for the old days, I just want to read a menu, actually fancy something and eat it freely. But the price to me is well worth it.

I know what you mean about wanting to just eat something the old way and enjoy it. I loved eating and stuffing myself, but I also love tha fact that I never would have lost 80 pounds without the band. I just need to find a waY TO be more comfortable when I eat. If that means an unfill I guess I'll have to really consider that.

I would have to agree with Jachut. Eating may never feel the same as it did pre-band. You will get different sensations, but I don't think they should be overly painful, just different.

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I found this thread. I lost 80 pounds from presurgery weight until today. 50 lbs since surgery on 1/28. I've been suffering with pain all along. I have pain in my chest when I eat so I regurgitate it. Someone said it is surgical bulemia and that's what I have too. Never been able to find "the sweet spot" . So I've taken to eating "sliders" like ice cream, creamy Soups, Cookies, choctoalte. they all slide down. But my weight loss is at a plateau for the last 2 months since I am eating more sliders. It started out innocent, some ice cream to soothe my esophogus after regurgitating the food up. Now the ice cream is a full blown addiction. I don't know what to do. I have not reached my goal weight and am very distressed because of what I'm doing. Does anyone have the same problems and what do you think would help me. I hate exercising and have to push myself, if I even do it. Help!!!! Thanks.

If you are constantly regurgitating food, having swelling and pain after and soothing it or avoiding pain with sliders . . . it sounds like you are too tight and could be harming yourself. The sweet spot is not always easy to find but you should be able to eat normal foods without regurgitating them.

I think sometimes people keep their bands too tight out of fear of regain . . . eventhough they have already plateaued due to eating sliders that don't hurt so much going down. Being too tight can lead to lack of weight loss as much as being too loose. Eating healthy, whole foods such as Proteins, veggies, fruits, whole-grain carbs is what helps to keep your body healthy and helps your band to work better in that you feel full.

I've been really working on cutting out the ice cream and have been sucessful for about 3 days now. I find that I am eating more food at times. Most of the time a couple of bites here and a couple of bites there with no major restriction (just a hiccup or a feeling to stop) Anyway, I am giong to try to stick better to chewing so I can get more food down . then if I don't see an improvement in the pain issue I'll go in for an unfil. Thanks

But realistically, I think a lot of things will feel uncomfortable to eat and eating will never feel the same as pre band. I dont have a lot of pain but the only things that cause no sensation and feel like pre band are things like Cookies and chocolate. Most meals I will get a few signals to stop for a minute or two to avoid a bigger blockage. Sometimes I really feel wistful for the old days, I just want to read a menu, actually fancy something and eat it freely. But the price to me is well worth it.

Same here.

hi all

I'm having some discomfort now I had a fill 1/13/09 I think it is to tight however I have started to go back to the start of the band and eat broth, Jello, Proteins drinks. It was hard to hold the food down and there is pain I have never had before even jello hurt going down and it would come back up. I made a big pot of Soup chichen with veggs. and drink the broth slowly after a week I was able to hold mash veggs and fish slowly. I think sometimes there is gas inside and when the food comes down it sits on the gas and until it moves it hurts that is why drinking something hot before eating helps 1/2 hour before don't drink while eating that will make it hurt also. I not sure if I'm to tight or not but I have lost 7lbs since the fill so I think I'm not going to get a unfill my next fill is in feb. if I still feel this way I will not get a fill at that time. banded 1/7/08 lost 110lbs so far 40 more to go at this point I'm very happy with my band good luck to all with your walk to good health.

LadyRoz

I am so there!!! Everything I eat or drink sometimes gives me that stuck feeling. But then there are times when I can eat a horse with no problem. I know I shouldn't but I'm just thrilled that something is going down without pain. This pain free feeling is usually at night. In the morning or mid day food is hard to get down. Even my morning coffee is tough to get down. I've been at a stand still with my weight for a few months not gaining but not losing either. If any one has any suggestions of how to get over this please please give me some advise.

So having started this thread, I thought I should update everyone on my progress. I had an slight unfill in Nov and it has helped immensely. I really did not think I was too tight, but I was. I still have restriction, but I can eat normally if I chew and follow the other band rules. I was also worried I would gain. I have not, in fact I have lost over 10lbs since the unfill.

If you are still experiencing pain during every meal, I would seriously talk to your doc about an unfill. It took me 8 months to figure it out, but it's really not supposed to be painful.

Givemeglory

I am in the same boat. Stuck with most foods, can eat easier and too much at night, and stuck at a plateau the past few months. I started a thread called hungary and eating at night in the Janusry 08 section. I go up or down 1-2 lbs since the beginning of November. I'm so frustrated. Last time I went to the doctor 12/9 I had a .25 unfill. I can't say it helped much but I've been working on my chewing and eating slow so more food is getting down with no weight gain thank god.

Girls - Hi everyone - Update

Tonight was my first slimming. I thought I ate and chewed okay and then soon after I got this wet mouth feeling, chills, nausea an had to throw up like immediately. Slime and the rest of my food came up (sorry so graphic). I'm trying to pinpoint why that happened after almost a year of being banded. Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by Bandana