Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port pain/Side pain when sleeping

Hey guys,

I was banded on 7/2/08 and still cannot sleep on my stomach. I usually fall asleep on my side, but I wake up in the middle of the night really hurting around my port and over to the left. It hurts to turn, but once I'm on my back the pain instantly goes away. It doesn't hurt during the day at all either. It could just be all the pressure on the port/band.... anyone else experience this? If so, do you know what it is? I haven't called my surgeon yet b/c it's not a constant during the day. I'm so ready to sleep on my tummy again! It's just so darn comfortable (well, it use to be). :biggrin:

Thanks!

I was banded Aug. 7th and my port is still a bit sore. I usually read in bed, and on my stomach. I have a bit of pressure and sore on the port area, but not too bad. I think this takes longer to heal and should be better in a month or so. Good luck

Well, unfortunately I can't give you any advice or help because I am experiencing the same thing. So moral support only, I guess! :smile:

Anyway, I was banded on the 21st of July (so not quite as far out) and I am also having issues with being sore especially around the port site. It is not constant during the day or anything like that. It isn't the actual incision or that type of sore. It is a deeper muscle type of sore. When I lie down in bed on either side, I tend to feel it the most. Like my stomach is falling to the side (gravity and all) and that pull makes the port hurt. Not agony, but much more uncomfortable then I thought it would be given how far out from the surgery I am.

Sometimes I get the ache during the day and it is uncomfortable. Again, not agony but not comfortable either. I have not been able to put anything together to figure out the cause - nothing specific that I do or am doing that obviously is causing that ache. It sort of feels like I tried to do sit ups and it isn't the actual muscle that hurts (which is a lie - it's been a LONG time since I did sit ups and I am sure that if I attempted them at this point, it would hurt and cause a LOT of soreness!:biggrin:) but it does feel like doing the sit up kept squishing the port and digging into the muscle around it and now THAT is what is really hurting. Of course I have not done sit ups. I walk, but there's no way I'm ready for that yet.

Sorry I couldn't actually help you - at least you know that it isn't some major complication happening to just you though, which is the fear that was sneaking around in the back of my head. Any other help or suggestions of what may be causing this pain and how I might avoid and relieve it would be really appreciated!! :thumbup:

Hi Amanda,

We were banded the same day! You've had a great weight loss so far....congrats! I too am a tummy sleeper. I was able to sleep on my tummy at night 10....believe me, I was counting the days. As you've come to find out, everyone's different but I would give it maybe another month. If you still find it uncomfortable, I would mention it to your Dr. Good luck, it will happen soon!

I was banded in Sept and couldn't wait to heal, so I could sleep on my tummy. I started it last month with noticing it. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but its getting better and I wake up a little sore too.