Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will the biggest losers please rise?

Can you please list the foods that you eat in a typical week?

Feel free to provide a menu, etc.

What has worked for you? What has not worked for you?

Thank you so much!!

Nobody ever really likes my story, it tends to cause arguments lol. I lost 100lb give or take, went from a BMI of 36 to 22, did it over a 2 year period, and did it by eating from ALL food groups, never buying a single Protein shake, never counting Protein, I eat carbs, wholegrain bread most days, I ate fairly high calories (1500 or so a day) and I run for an hour five times a week or so and ofen go for a swim or something as well.

What I didnt do - protein first, low carb, high protein, incredibly detailed regimes of strength training with protein shot this, Protein Shake that before and after training etc etc.

I did everything 'wrong' according to modern wisdom, which I consider nothing more than an unproven fad, same as every other lifestyle gospel we've been taught over the years - 20 years ago, people would have agreed that lots of cardio and a high carb low fat diet was the way to go, nowadays they think its all strength training and protein. There is and was plenty of so called scientific evidence to back it all up, as much for the high carb low fat stuff 20 years ago as there is for the high protein stuff now.

I think its ALL bollocks personally. I think what I achieved simply indicates that if you eat less and move more, you will probably lose weight. I know that I certainly havent given myself diabetes and wasted all my muscle with my carb and cardio focussed approach.

Worked for me anyway. Slowish, but without any baggy loose skin to boot and I have PLENTY of muscle, I've not wasted all my lean body tissue away either.

For some reason, this tends to mortally offend people, I think people LOVE a real regime, something to cling to that they believe heart and soul will work. I'm sorry, I dont have one. I stopped being a piggie and couch potato basically.

I also didn't go low carb.

I eat anything and everything, but try to generally stay around 1000-1200 calories per day. I log everything I eat and I exercise a lot (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, 3-5 times per week, both cardio and strength training).

When I go out to eat, I eat what I want, but I do try to think about what I am going to order before I go, so that I make a semi-sane decision (i.e. not the bacon double cheeseburger with fries and gravy, which would be my impulse choice). I am also not overly restricted - I can easily eat 3-4 oz of Protein and 1-2 cups of whatever else for a meal. What I find the band does is that it helps me control my hunger between meals. In fact, other than the evil head hunger (which I still experience), I don't really experience hunger anymore. I still love to eat though and I still love food and have not lost my taste for sugar and fat.

I am kind of going with the philosophy of eat really well 90% of the time and then have whatever I want the other 10%.

After that lengthy intro :biggrin: - typical day for me:

B: oatmeal or 1/2 c. egg white omelette with weight watchers toast

snack: fruit - 1 piece or 1-1 1/2 cups

lunch: 2 slices weight watchers whole wheat or multigrain bread

Condiments like mustard, fat free miracle whip, ketchup

2 oz of some kind of lean Protein

200 g fat free yogurt (2 of the small containers)

dinner: 3-4 oz of lean protein (any kind - I eat chicken, fish, pork, turkey sausage, beef, etc.)

1-2 cups of veggies (usually cooked cause I like them better)

snack: 1-2 Snacks (about 100 calories each)- favorites include 100 calorie micorwave popcorn, vita muffin, 2 sticks of turkey pepperoni, no sugar pudding

I will eat potatoes or Pasta, but I am usually too lazy to cook them during the week, so I am more likely to have them on weekends.

I don't drink any of my calories (no protein shakes), including milk (I don't like the taste), and I take a Multivitamin and a Calcium supplement.

I haven't reached goal yet (my goal keeps changing) :smile:. I think realistically, I will be able to eat about 1500 calories most days once I have finished losing weight.

post-224320-13813137504068_thumb.jpg

post-224320-13813137504416_thumb.jpg

I've lost 130 pounds in 10 months and I follow the bandster guidelines fairly close. I drink my Water, eat my Protein first, then good carbs (whole wheat bread, brown rice, vegies & fruits), I also eat an occasional sweet. I am not a compulsive exerciser. I try and do 30 minutes 4-5 times a week (wii fit, treadmill, or bike riding). I also believe in tracking my food, but not everyday. I also have lots of excess skin, but anyone with a high bmi will, no amount of exercise can prevent that! I would prefer excess skin to fat any day.

As far as what I eat, most days I eat Kashi golean Cereal for Breakfast or 1 egg with a piece of whole wheat toast (no butter). lunch is whatever I have, leftovers, tuna, egg salad, ham and cheese, I usually include a few grapes with this. I usually have a late afternoon snack such as low-fat string cheese or dry roasted edamame (this satisfies my desire for something crunchy). Then dinner is whatever I fix for the family (chicken and brown rice casserole, chicken breasts, beef kabobs, taco salad, etc). I definitely try and stay away from eating anything after dinner.< /p>

I don't follow the "rules" by avoiding carbs. I get conflicting info from my surgeon vs. after care dr. So, I just eat a lot smaller portion sizes of whatever I want (or can tolerate).

A typical day for me is like this:

breakfast: coffee

lunch: Soup (small campbells microwaveable cup)

dinner: Whatever I have made for me and hubby. Usually things like, chicken chili, chicken w/ veggies, stir fry, etc.

Dessert: ice cream (regular or lowfat)

This is pretty much it. I don't always follow it and some times I eat totally bad (like on holiday or when traveling), but it is working for me.

I am usually really tight in the morning, so I only "drink" until my band loosens in the afternoon.