Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Placed 8-21-2008 (feel horrible)

I am 3 days post-op and feel horrible! I left the surgery center and went right to bed. My mom woke me up with my pain med she picked up from the pharmacy. I just couldn't take it I was afraid so I just stuck to my gas x strips. They seem to help, but I just changed sides now and then throughout my first night. I know this is going to sound crazy but I went to work the next day in the afternoon. I left a few hours later crying my eyes out. I was angry, bloated, and regretting getting the lap band. My mom tried to help me work through the gas pains and picked me up some Tylenol elixir for adults. I took a cup and laid down. I woke up this morning releasing a lot of gas and burps, but still feel like a knife is stuck in my side. I want to stay strong and I do see the weight coming off (I'm sure much of the weight came off pre-op from the Protein Shake diet). I just wish this gas would go away! I also think my stomach is reacting to the band and doesn't like it. Every now and then I get a loud growl and need to gulp for air?? Well I am taking it easy started drinking some chicken broth today which is day 3. Any advice is welcome please.....

WALK! Seriously WALK WALK WALK. You must. It will help dissipate the gas. It will help you clear the anesthesia from your lungs. It will help prevent blood clots. It will help your digestive tract "normalize. I know you want to baby yourself; you have certainly earned it! BUT you must walk.

The gas will mostly dissipate over time. Keep taking the tylenol elixir as prescribed, sip sip sip Water, and walk.

The walking will help you so much!

I just read on this board the other day about a lady who was nauseated and so just laid in bed for 3 days and got a clot in her lungs.

It makes sense your tummy is agitated; it doesn't know what you did to it. That should get better too.

Just hang in there and take short walks very frequently. You'll feel better soon!

Hi, thank you...I have walked a lot. Like I mentioned I went to work 2nd day post-op and walked for at least hours which I think caused all the emotion on my way home. I definitely get up and try to stay positive it is just this tightness I feel inside???

I am 3 days post-op and feel horrible! I left the surgery center and went right to bed. My mom woke me up with my pain med she picked up from the pharmacy. I just couldn't take it I was afraid so I just stuck to my gas x strips. They seem to help, but I just changed sides now and then throughout my first night. I know this is going to sound crazy but I went to work the next day in the afternoon. I left a few hours later crying my eyes out. I was angry, bloated, and regretting getting the lap band. My mom tried to help me work through the gas pains and picked me up some Tylenol elixir for adults. I took a cup and laid down. I woke up this morning releasing a lot of gas and burps, but still feel like a knife is stuck in my side. I want to stay strong and I do see the weight coming off (I'm sure much of the weight came off pre-op from the Protein Shake diet). I just wish this gas would go away! I also think my stomach is reacting to the band and doesn't like it. Every now and then I get a loud growl and need to gulp for air?? Well I am taking it easy started drinking some chicken broth today which is day 3. Any advice is welcome please.....

Hey kiddo this sounds pretty normal, heck my stomach still gurgles after I get a fill I just tell everyone that the band is talking to me. I felt pretty good after my band was put in and still do and it will be a year on September 10, I had a few bumps in the road, like two gallbladder attacks that sent me to the ER both times so that had to come out in June 2008 and then I ahd to have some of the fills taken out because my band developed something called a buldge and well having the bbudge could give me a sence of false appitite and well it did and you can actually gain weight if you do not have it takencare of. I had two upper GI's done before the Dr. would give me another fill. I had 5 ccs and then he took out 1/2 cc's but on Friday he gave me the all clear and I got a full cc and I can feel it. Give yourself sometime for we all heal diffeently. Drink your Protein I ahve been using nectar by Syntrex and youc an get that at Vitamin Shoppe or go online and type in www.BestPriceNutrition.com and you can order it a bit cheaper. I use the fuzzy navel and the chocolate truffle and the chocolate is very good with fat fee milk. Give it time it will be ahrd at first due to all the new restrictions but if you hang in there you will see some great results. I am down110 pounds and eating alone did not get tme tehre a lot of walking and hard exercise and I have about 25 more to lose and well I am done. I have gone froma size 24-26 jeans to a size 12 misses and I am now a size 14 or 16 in my blouses I was a size 2 to a 3 X and I weighed in at 279 and I am down 169 so you go girl and don't ever say I acn't do this because I am almost 55 years old and if I can do it so can you. Good luck and keep in touch.

Sounds like you're doing everything right then! But you might want to hold off going to work for at least a week! :tongue: Hang in there.

Take a bit more time off from work if you can. I am in my third week and finally feel normal. No more pain and the port area is just a tiny bit sore, I don't even need meds. And no more gas. Hang in there...it will get better. My first week was horrible also.

Hi My name is Sue and I am 2 weeks out from banding. I am just starting to get out and still have port pain when I walk. It sure is slower than I thought. I did try stage three food today and it seems ok. I am back to work Monday and hope I can make a whole day. Does the port sight get better, like walking feels like somyhing pinching and tuggin and than it gets sore. Does that sound about right?

I hope you can take a day or two off work. You just had surgery! Your body is adjusting to having a foreign substance implanted and you need to recover. Don't be afraid to take the pain meds, they are there to help you get through the first few days!

Glad to hear you are walking. That will definitely help with the gas pain. Make sure you are sipping your Water and don't get dehydrated. I found that broth (w/Unjury unflavored protein) was very calming to my stomach right after surgery. You will find that you start to feel better every day.

Make sure you are resting, walking and sipping and you will feel better and feel good about your decision to get the Band!

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I just feel like a football is inside of me, and yes the tightness is constantly there! I am walking every 1/2 hour and sipping on broth, clear juice, and tried some Jello. Good news is I don't return to work until Tuesday....Keep you posted...

All I can say that my Dr. gave me liquid Vicodin and that was what kept my pain away. I was taking 4tbs. every 4-5 hours. After a couple of day of taking it I was able to ween off and I only take it at night if that. I had my band last saturday and I am starting to feel better.

Good luck and take care of yourself...my Dr. told me this was my time to heal and make sure I can be successful with the HUGE change in my life.

Hi there--- I am five weeks out from being banded and had my first fill. The soreness and gas are all part of it. It took about 3 weeks before I got my first good nights sleep. I spent a number of nights on my recliner because I couldn't stand to lay in bed. It does get better, so hang in there and give yourself time to heal. Just think of the end result. I will tell you like the other lady did. I am 62 years old, and if I can do it you can. Email if you have any other questions...Good Luck:thumbup: