Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went in for a consult yesterday, and the Dr. said that he recommends no bread, not even on a sandwhich - ever. Has anyone else been told this, is it common. It kind of seemed from some of the other threads, that many of you eat bread.

Please give me your input on this matter.

Thanks!

many people just cannot handle bread after banding. Their bands just don't like the suff, other people have no trouble.

If you are eating bread, then you are probably not eating your protien and vegies first.

I have fybromyalgia, and if I eat bread or lots of carbs I am in physical pain then next day. A bowl of mac'n'cheese can make me feel hungover the next day.

I could prbably handle bread, if I can eat cheese burgers. But I choose not to eat bread...

but for me, it is a question of would I rather eat a sandwich or wear a size 12? (my goal...)

I can eat bread. I am almost 9 weeks out from surgery with no fill (it's scheduled) and I can have a sandwich or whatever. I'm not a big bread eater, but I don't like a sandwich or burger without the bun. Toasted bread goes down better. I chew ALOT.

I anticipate not being able to do the bun after the fill, which is fine of course, since my goal here is to lose weight and I certianly could do without it! Plus, just because I CAN doesn't meand I SHOULD. Maybe that's what your doc was saying.

Don't panic about the bread. You'll adjust. When the weight starts dropping and you feel satisfied after eating a good bandster meal, bread doesn't matter so much.

I used to be a big bread eater. I tried the Atkins thing and failed because of that. Now I cannot eat bread at all. The fact that it causes actual physical discomfort makes it easier to avoid. Before my last fill I could eat a half a sandwich, but not anymore.

Pre band, I used to be a big bread eater too - loved the stuff, which was probably half my problem, but now, it's not just worth the discomfort. The band has broken my bread addiction!

Like Kathy, I find that sometimes I can do a slice of toast quite OK at the end of the day, when the band is a bit more "relaxed", so that is a very occasional treat for me.

Been banded for six months haven't even tried a slice of bread or a bun, but OMG the thought of a great big, juicy hamburger..., but nope, no bread for me. I don't even know if I could, but I make it my choice not to eat bread, period. My mother was banded 2 months ago and I can't keep her away from it, so...........go figure, LOL.

Been banded for 7 months, never have had a fill and bread isn't a problem. I don't desire it like I used to, and usually if I do eat "bread" it's in the form of a tortilla to wrap chicken up with, with a little sauce on it.

The things I DO have to watch out for though? Scrambled eggs, crackers, and eating anything drier too fast. Those things can get stuck waaaay too easily.

No bread, no Pasta, no rice, no potatoes (no starch).. the band does tend to plug up with glutenous foods, however, I think part of this bandster rule also applies to the fact that white starches just are not 'weight loss' friendly foods. For me, they are definitely what got me in need of the band in the first place. Is it worth it to you to slow down your progress?

I was told that bread is ok to eat but only if you can tolerate it. I had 1/2 a tuna sandwich last night and did ok. I do not eat alot of bread since sometimes it will cause me to PB.

my doc told me bread would be fine but for me personally it is not-it causes such a problem its not worth it-it seems to act as a plug and just doesnt go thru-sad too since I LOVE fresh bread-used my bread machine every week at least 1x but now Im going to just make them suffer with me-lol.