Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr.s Advice for a Happy Hour/Beer Girl

At risk of sounding like a real lush - I wanted to share this information I got today. I like many others on the site thinking about the lap-band love beer and enjoy the weekly happy hour:

I actually had a pretty lengthy discussion today with a Dr. in Dallas about the beer subject, because I too love beer and was really fearing leaving it behind forever.

He said to poor the beer in a glass, let it sit in the fridge and let it lose most of the carbination. He also suggested adding a lime to distract a little from it being flat. He suggested to give it a dry run, but didn't see a problem with it if you let it go flat. (He also indicated that a lot of patients lose their taste for it)

He also said that another one that he might not have a problem with me trying is sugar free Red Bull and Vodka. He said it would help to let the Red Bull sit for a while to "rest".

His best suggestion was to switch to a room temperature wine - this is a drink that people tend to drink at a slower pace.

I know that a lot of the postings that I had read on hear about drinking suggested moderation - I agree, but I really wanted to have a heart to heart with the reality of this subject before I made my decision.

I am sure that many of you that are banded might have already shared this, but he said that the biggest concern that he had for alcohol as it relates to being banded, is that "instead of polishing off a bottle of wine to get drunk, you shouldn't need more than a few glasses". - He then admitted that he and his wife still enjoy a nice night out away from their 5 kids - so he could relate :( Don't mistake that he encouraged any of this - his official recommendation was still to KEEP IT TO A MINIMUM.

I was so excited to have a Dr. that was really comfortable being open with me about this subject. Please share any additional real life information that might help a band-er-to-be.

I look forward to your input about actually living with any of this advice!!

ya know i drink beer and sodas every once in a while... they only major problem i find is that it makes a weird noise as it goes through the band... like a gurgling.... and others can hear it too..... but thats it... no pain

As many of you saw on in my photos on my other post, I enjoy a cocktail or two. I've switched from Vodka Sours to Vodka Cranberry. I also drink wine a lot, but find that red wine gives me heartburn. It did before banding so that's nothing new...it just seems worse now. So, I keep my red wine drinking limited to wine club meetings, and drink blush or white when I'm in the mood.

I'd have to say the biggest change in terms of drinking is the amount. I only need a few to really feel it, and I try to eat as big a meal as I can before I go out if I know we'll be drinking because otherwise it can get away from me. And we've all seen evidence of that in my photos. :-)

I'm glad you have a doctor that you can be so open with. I'm also glad you shared what you learned...I was just thinking about it today and wondering what, if any, actual alcohol has on the band. Sounds like the carbonation is the real trouble (thank god!)

Megan

Okay, I hope I don't sound like a lush but how soon after surgery did you try alcohol? I was going to try in 2 weeks (4 weeks out from surgery) a little glass of wine.

As I have posted before, I am going to work in Africa in July and will be socializing also. I will be working in the country's government offices and the embassy so it will be dress up /suits type stuff. From what I've seen other places, the after work drink is still popular in that type of an environment. Will I be able to tolerate a glass of wine at the 6 week mark?

I don't know why we feel the need to apologize for our drinking, so pooh-pooh on anybody that pooh-poohs it, and thanks for sharing what your doc said.

I personally drink too much out of obsession, but I don't think it's because I'm an alcholoic, it's just my constant need to consume mass quantities of anything. Put a gallon of juice in front of me and I'll drink the gallon. Show me to the ice cream and I'll eat the whole quart. Diet Pepsi by the truckload. Nachos, margueritas - it doesn't matter, I'm a consuming machine. I quit booze for almost 2 years and never missed it, but lately I've been drinking more than ever, and it started during my Band surgery when the Mexican doctors asked me how many shots of Tequila I wanted in my IV bag!

I know the rules say to avoid caloric beverages. The rules also dictate that we should all lose all of our excess body weight and maitain the loss for the rest of our lives by following all the band rules. Damn, if it were that easy we wouldn't need a band. And those of us that have one would be at goal right now.

I have had a few more conversations with my Dr since my last post - being less than two weeks out, I am obviously going through the paraniod phase.

the number one concern that they have - is drinking in excess to the point of vomiting - which is really bad for your band because of the potential for slipage. now that brings back some college memories (no really, it's been since college, I swear)

The other that is a little more remote is gastritis. I don't know much about this, but he assured me that drinking in moderation and occassionally not so much moderation should not create any other problems.

The carbonation concern is that too much gas build up in your lower stomach below your band, could cause your band to slip upwards.

Well, tonight is officially my last weekend to go out and drink with no restraints - might not be posting for a few days.

Wow, I can already smell the regret in the air :knockedou :knockedou :sick

Find a good wine, it has no carbination in it, but remember it does have calories. There are quite a few drinks I enjoy that are non carbonated.

I have drank a couple of beers since banding and had no problems at all, I just drink slowly.

Have fun this weekend! :):D:D

I have been trying to get used to the bandster way of living and have been drinking mostly a German Riesling. yummy, I had a beer last night and honestly didn't hardly miss it!!

Guest corsha1_0

Well - I'm glad I found this posting. Think I'll mix me up a very small vodka & cranberry tonight!