Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Y'all,

I'm gonna whine a lil bit here.:thumbup:

I've been banded for over a week now and I pretty much have no incision pains, but I do have a lot of gas pains. At first they were in my back and now they have moved to my left side. The left side gas pains started Monday night and it was soo bad that I almost shedded some tears. I had to leave work early Tuesday because I could barely stand up straight. I've took the gas-x strips and they really didn’t help. I'm now taking Mylanta and its ok but i can still feel the pains trying to start.

Are there any other gas meds that you guys have used for relief? What did y'all do to get through the gas pains. I don't think my poor left side can’t take anymore shooting gas pain....its sore now.:)

Sorry to hear that Sweetpea...I have yet to be banded (Sept 17th!) so I can't really weight-in on that. Glad to hear everthing went well though.

Hi there! I just wanted you to know you are not alone. I had surgery on 7/2/8, and had horrible gas pains for a few weeks afterwards. I felt like something was wrong. All I could do to alleviate them was a lot of passing gas, and walking. I have a theory that the gas is produced by the Big tummy, because its getting used to not digesting as much, and while it is still trying to digest food that isn't there, it makes gas. I am sure some of it is the leftover CO2 from the surgery, but not all of it. Try drinking some Water to coat the big part of the tummy, or maybe protien shake of some sort. warm liquids help too, like tea or broth. Some of us get crazy gas, others don't. I felt like "No one told me this might happen!" It eventually eases up though, so just try to remind yourself it will, and then you won't even believe how happy you are that you did this for yourself - I AM!

Gas-x doesn't work for everyone....but you have to WALK WALK WALK WALK!!!!!!! The gas is most likely left over from surgery - not only do they blow up your stomach, but they blow up your whole insides with gas for room to maneuver around in. They try to "press" it all out, but that never works. So walking, hot liquids, sometimes gas medicine all work. It's hard, and it's tough, but it won't last forever. I didn't get my worse gas pains til the Monday after my Friday surgery. I wanted to cry...it felt like I was getting stabbed in the shoulder. But until you get it all out just be patient and remember it will be over soon.

Sweetpea.. I am getting banded on Tuesday. You have got me scared of the gas pain.:ohmy:I hope you find something that works. If you do please post the solution on the board. I will run out an buy it this weekend.GL!!!

Thanks for the advice you guys! I've noticed that my side gas likes to come when it's time to go to bed. Walking has helped and I also bend over the side of the couch and that helps.

Aww ATLSpeedy, I didn't mean to scare you. Everybody doesn't get the bad gas pains. The Mylanta has been working ok but I do think the combination of that plus drinking hot liquids and walking, helps with getting the gas off. You would thing with all the burping I've been doing that the gas would be gone by now..lol

Good Luck with your surgery Tuesday. We'll be praying for you.

I did not have alot of gas pains associated with the surgery itself. But, after I graduated to mushy foods, I started getting them bad; especially at night. I tried everything. Then, I started taking 2 Beano tablets before eating and that solved my problem. Have not had gas since.

LOL.. that's cute! I'm feeling much much better now. I think that I finally popped that gas bubble on my side some time last week.:w00t: