Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sept. 22 surgery date - scared - help!

I just got scheduled today for banding on Sept. 22nd. Had to go with the other surgeon in the practice because my doctor's schedule is too full. I like him but he wants to do a few more tests - the heart stress test where they don't use the treadmill but inject you with something that stresses your heart. Anyone had this? Plus I am dealing with breast cancer - 6 years out and go for my yearly mammogram Monday - always waiting for the other shoe to drop. VERY STRESSFUL!! Plus a visit with a dermatolgist in Sept. to look at something on my arm that I hope doesn't turn out to be skin cancer. So, lots on my plate and I am worried about the surgery. I am a widow and I don't have anyone here at home to help after the surgery. Do I need any help? I'm not afraid of the pain from surgery I'm just afraid that I will never feel normal again - that eating (however small an amount) will never be normal again. Anything you can tell me to help with my fears would be appreciated. Thanks - and looking forward to being on this board - I am new. :)

Well I am only going to my first appointment next week so I still have a while to go. But you need to look at this in a postive light with your surgery you are getting ready to start a new chapter in your book of life and how much your health will improve from having this. As for the dermo I hope everything wil go ok for you.:thumbup:

I got banded on July 16, 2008 and was terrified. I thought I might die. I had nothing to worry about, I woke up from surgery with a sore throat because of the intubation but other than that, it was basically painless and no complications. I just got my first fill yesterday (3 ccs in an 8 cc band) and still have little to no restriction so I feel perfectly normal. The thing is, we weren't "normal" to begin with where food was concerned. We got fat because we ate too much and often too much of the wrong food. The band is intended to help with Portion Control and to help you limit bread, Pasta and rice. It will be fine. You will be very happy you did it.

Hi Cleo's Mom, I can help you to understand the stress test with the injection. It is called a doputamine stress test. Doctors have a choice to either have a patient walk on the tread mill until her heart rate gets to the number they are looking for or they can use this drug to get your heart rate to the number they are looking for. You lay on the table and they begin the injection. It is not uncomfortable. You can feel your heart start to beat faster, kind of like if you are scared. They are taking ultrasound pictures while your heart rate is going up. Once you reach the number, they stop the injection completely. And then you just lay there until you recover and your heart rate is just about what it was when you started.

Sometimes, the doputamine cannot get your heart rate up to the number they want and so they have another drug they inject that is like a booster and it will get your heart rate up. They only use the booster if they need it. They'll tell you if they are going to inject it but you won't feel any difference between that drug and the doputamine. The entire test takes about 45 minutes.

I went to my stress test alone and drove myself home after with no problem. Good luck.

Cleo's Mom I also had to have cardio clearence. I am 52. No problem They did 2 on me , b/c I could not walk on treadmill bad back. I drove myself and had no problems. I am scared also. I am being banded 8-28 in KY. I am having a friend to take me for banding. I live 3 hours away and they want me there a day early to cross and match blood. I come home the day of banding in late afternoon. She wil help if I need help while my DH is at work. The pain meds may make you feel funny. Kathy