Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port infections

Flower, the VAST majority of people do not get port or other infections. You only hear about the ones who do but for every one who does there are countless others who do not, and who don't post about NOT getting infections. In my encounters with fellow bandsters at support group meetings the issue of port infection comes up only very rarely.

If your doctor is competent and you care for the wound well, I think it's very unlikely you'll get an infection.

Port infections are more popular than people around here think. When I was dealing with my port infections, I started running into other people with the same problem. Plus they'd tell me of others that they know. My surgeon told me of 3 other patients he had with the same problem about the same time I was having my 2nd port removed. Of all the people I've met, none of them post here. I encourage them to post, but there's a whole world of banded people that don't even have computers or know how to use them, so there's lots going on that we don't hear about. However, so far, most have been Mexico surgeries.

DeLarla is right that in certain circles you may hear more about infections than in others. My experience is informed by the encounters I have with patients of the same surgical practice I used, a very good one with loads of experience at one of the best hospitals for bariatric surgery in the Northeast.

However, of course there are risks with anything. Just keep a VERY close eye on your incisions and if there are any signs of infection don't wait, get it treated immediately.

My port was infected for a while, but thank God that it healed. My surgeon said it was probably an allergic reaction to one of the stitches, but it was really gross for a while. It looked like I had some chicken fat coming out of my incision. It really freaked me out, when I saw him, he said there was nothing to be concerned about, that I shoud just wash it really good and put some anti-bacterial ointment on it. About a week later it healed up, but it is scary when it happens. I'm just fortunater that it was a small infection and nothing major. I really feel bad for you Delarla, I know how bad your got and that was really scary. But I'm glad that your healed now, and don't worry as soon as we get this calendar done, we'll have plenty of money to buy you a new port.

That leaking is not neccessarily an infection and is actually a good sign of healing. My port wound gushed about a week after surgery and continued for a couple of weeks. I remember going to the docs thinking I was surely dying but he was actually HAPPY to see the drainage. He said its such a deep wound that the drainage is actually a sign of healthy healing. He did put me on more antiobotics but it was mainly a precautionary measure. There was no infection.