Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First patients to have Realize...let's hear from you!

The needle used for a fill is called a Huber needle (not sure about that spelling). It's kind of long but it has a bend near the end. It's just the part after the bend that is really the "business" part of the needle. Ports are self-sealing and that needle is meant to minimize the pierce into the port so that it self-seals immediately.

I had my first fill yesterday at 2mo-3wk-1day after surgery.( Last time I was doing too well for a fill, but this time I was getting hungry between meals and I could eat more before filling full.) The PA found my port easily and put in 4cc and then had me drink Water. Water would not go down-chest pain right away. She reinserted needle and removed 1cc and the water went down, she asked if I wanted alittle more out and I said Yes. She took out 1/2cc more. So my first fill is 2.5cc. I was able to eat bean Soup last pm and my cottage cheese this morning. Restriction is there and I get full faster. All and all a good experience. 33 lb sicne surgery a total of 59lb since 1/09.

I am very thankful and praise the Lord for His goodness.

MiMi Teapot

I'm from MO and getting the Realize band also on July 23rd, done by Dr. Dan Cardwell. He and his staff are so nice and the support groups in Springfield have been wonderful.

Again, sorry I don't post all that often but I'm still here.

I'm still at about the same weight for over a month myself. I'm bouncing between 218 & 220. I have a Doc/s appt on 8-26 and hope to get a fill. I'm sure I need it. I noticed that I can eat more than I should before I feel full.

I'm going to try to break below 200 by the end of the year.

It sounds like everyone is doing very good, if their losing slow or not.

Just hang in there,

Don

I got the Realize Band on 4/8/08. So far I have had a total of 10 fills & am at 10cc's. My band is a 9cc band, but my surgeon told me there was really room to go up to 11cc's max.

I have been comfortable at this level of restriction for awhile now. To date I have lost 113 pounds & have 6 pounds to go to reach my goal.

I used to use the Realize site pretty often in the beginning, but now I just log in occassionally to record my weight and look at my progress. I don't really look at the recipes and such anymore.

All in all, no complaints about the Realize Band. I initially chose it over the Lap Band simply because it was made by Johnson & Johnson, and that was a name that I knew and a brand I trusted.

:frown::thumbup:hello everyone i just got my band i have only had it 3 weeks tomorrow i am so glad i have it it took me a long time before i found the right dr i ran into 2 wt loss surgeons and they were the pitts there staff lied to me and did everything they could to keep me from getting my band they lied about me saying i couldnt swallow and i had a hiatal hernia when my wt loss surgeon did my wt loss surgery if he had seen 1 he would have removed it then so i really think both of the drs 1 in charlotte and the other 1 in pinehurst r dumb and should b reported to the medical revvue board and get there drs license taken away:smile2:

I just chose Realize over Lap Band, and I have my first appointment with the doctor on October 29.

It feels unreal.

Started my diet today, too.

I just can't quit the caffeine, though. Agh.

Congrats Mich on your decision and good luck nancy on your recent band. I was banded on June 1, 2009, and absolutely no regrets...even when I'm spitting up what I just ate...lol. I was just filled third time three weeks ago and I'm at 7ccs and it's taking some adjusting to get used to. But, in reality, I'm at the spot that I was told I would be at, only about 3/4 cup to a cup of food, 30-45 mins to eat, no liquids while eating...it is just taking me a while to get used to it...now I can eat all the popcorn in the world but can't get a piece of chicken down...go figure. So I really keep the Isopure Protein down.

Mich, I had to do the liquid diet for two weeks before. I feel for you. It's not the easiest thing, and I can't say I was perfect but I also didn't beat myself up because I had a small salad every once in a while. Now, it didn't help to have my daughter reminding me that her doctor didn't require any pre-op diet...thank you very much...:thumbup:

I also had to do the same diet for a week afterwards and then gradually add soft foods over the next three weeks, but after is a whole lot easier. I didn't feel like eating then.

But no regrets at all. Good luck to you both.

Trisha

Thanks, Trish!

I'm glad you're doing well. I'm very optimistic, too.

My doctor doesn't have me on liquid yet -- I'm on a plan that imitates what I will have to do afterward, "normal" meals-wise, which makes sense.

25-29 grams lean Protein, chew chew chew chew, veggies, fruit. And supplements, occasional Meal Replacements (I love the shakes -- Designer When, from Trader Joe's), and Water.

The only thing that's really hard is the CAFFEINE. I can't see giving it up! Diet Coke is a food Group for me.

Sigh. I am so ready though, and I feel good. I really appreciate your good words. Made all my initial screening exam appointments today -- EKG, bloodwork, x-ray, ultrasound, etc., followups. Feels strange to get going on this, but good.

Best;

Michelle

Michelle, my daughter didn't really have to do a pre- or post-op diet. Her doctor who has done 4k bands, pretty just had her on soft foods for a few days and then told her she would know what she could eat and couldn't and wanted her to get onto as normal a diet as quickly as possible. He basically told her why would he put her on a liquid diet, clearly dieting had not been successful. The first two weeks after surgery I drank a lot of Protein drinks...then after swelling went down, assuming your surgeon doesn't leave some fill in there from the surgery (some do, some don't, mine didn't), then I didn't have any restriction...so for the next couple of months it really was will power on my part. My doctor was very conservative. So I didn't get restriction until this past month with third fill.

I didn't give up caffeine completely. But maybe cut it in half...I can still drink occasionally a carbonated soda...so I try to do diet ginger ale. I still drink tea, will do half-caff on coffee, but I'm only a one-cup-a-day person anyway. The Isopure drink I kind of drink on all day long, plus lots of Water. You won't miss all the caffeine as much as you think.

Ask you surgeon though if he leaves any fill in at the time of surgery. That will make a big difference after. It really does vary. Mine didn't, but you hear of people on here getting left with up to 3ccs.

Good luck and you won't be sorry. Pain wise, it felt like I'd done about a thousand situps and only in shape for five...my surgeon has a procedure where he sucks out as much of the expansion gas as possible, so I had none of that type of pain at all. We'll be saving a place on the loser's bench for you..:)

Trisha

i was banded in may with the realize band. I would like to hear from some of the patients who first had this band inserted last year as it was approved and their success or unsuccessful stories.

i had the realize band in dec/08.2 me my wt loss is slow.50 lbs. I didnt see any loss until 4/09.

I've heard of "dumping" before, but not slimming.

What is slimming?

WHEN U HEAVE SLIMY STUFF NOT REALLY THROWING UP FOOD:thumbdown:

Hello I was banded on Sept.8th and I don't get my first fill until Oct. 8th. I was wondering how many cc can fit in the REALIZE BAND? I tried to find that information on thier website and I was unsuccessful.

Please Help!

Nina

9CC. HELP ME GET A WT LOSS BANNER:cursing:

Hi,

I got the Realize band June 5, lost some weight was doing good and then on June 23 I got a blood clot in my leg, when I came out of the hospital, even though I got very little to eat, did the bariatric diet, I weighed as much as I did in the beginning. I can not get back on track, I am about to pass my pre surgery weight.

And to top this off, I am losing my hair, even though I am eating a regular diet.

Any suggestions?:)

SEE YPUR MD FOR A FILL:thumbup:

Cassieme - I am just curious, did they put you on coumadin? I was diagnosed with a blood clot after c-section and had to do coumadin therapy. I noticed that I was loosing my hair. My doctors say it is not coumadin but have heard a lot of people with same problem!! bty, I do not have a band yet - so it is not the lack of protein!