Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the group, my first post

Hello to everyone.

This is my first post. I started here because I just made up my mind that I want to have the lap band. I haven't even gone to a seminar yet, but I have been researching different weight loss surgeries for months now.

I am worried now because I haven't been on a supervised weight loss program for 6 months, but from past experience, I can't do it.

I looked in to this about 4 years ago when I was 6 feet tall and 268 pounds and they told me I "wasn't fat enough". Also, the doctor was trying to force gastric bypass surgery on me, which I definitely did not want.

So here I am 4 years later, weighing 335 pounds and miserable. Once I go to my seminar, if they require me to start a six month diet program I will be very disappointed. I was hoping to have my surgery before the end of the year.

But, I'm joining this group for support just in case I do get the bad news. By knowing there are others in the same boat as me will help.

Any suggestions or stories that may give me some insight would be appreciated. And again, hello!

hi i hope all goes well for you and don't stress yourself make sure you tell you doc all of your problems it helps with the ins to approve

Some insurance companies do require the six month monitored. If you have to do it it's not a big deal, the six months will fly by. Next week I am on month 5 and have surgery scheduled for 11/24. The time flew by. I also looked into this about 5 years ago but decided it just wasn't the right time, kids were still young, etc. I am in the right place now and I cannot wait. good luck!!

Hi. I'm also relatively new to the forum. My insurance company does require a six month supervised diet, and I'm one month into it. I realize how discouraging it is. I want the band done and I want it done now, but that's just not going to happen so it's best to take advantage of the "pre-surgery" time I have to get my life in order.

A six month supervised diet basically consists of going to your doctor or a nutritionist and getting weighed in once a month, or at least that's what my insurance (Blue cross blue shield) told me.

During this time I'm also getting all of required pre-op testing done and out of the way. I've had labwork done which reveals not only do I have the beginnings of Diabetes type 2, but I also have hypothroidism. I've been started on medication for both. This is a good thing to have had done because had these things not been checked, it would have been a struggle to lose weight. Since starting on the meds (2 weeks), my carb cravings have been significantly reduced and I've lost 8 pounds without even trying. Of course all of my weight gain cannot be attributed to my imbalance, but the part that is, will be shedded pre-surgery.

I also had my sleep study done last week which revealed obstructive sleep apnea. I was have >50 hyponeas within a 15 minute time span. Basically, I am not getting any restful sleep. I'm worn down. I'm tired. My body is exhausted. I expect this week I'll be starting on the CPAP machine which will hopefully restore my body and thus give me ENERGY.

So look, in the first month I've already discovered things that I currently have working against me and I'm now working to reverse these things that can sabotage my progress. Quite simply put, had I not done these things and went straight for the band, I would have probably not lost much weight and would have been disappointed.

Another thing I am doing in this time is getting my relationship (or addiction) with food under control. I am trying to understand why I eat when I eat, and I'm hoping this too will serve as another map for success.

Anyway, dont give up. Let's support eachother through this time, because is six months really that long of a time to wait when the rest of your life is set out before you?

Oh, I also want to add, that if you have a fear of complications, which I do, which is why I won't get bypass, think of this time as a way to prep yourself for anesthesia. Any weight you can lose prior to being put under is going to lessen the anxiety you have of surgery. It'll also be easier post-op!

Okay. Sorry for the long ramble. :crying:

Edited by lapbandgirl4life

Thank you all who have replied. I haven't logged in for a while. Life's been a little hectic for me. We had a death in the family, I still haven't worked since having my twins last November, and now I'm up to 335 pounds. Goodness. I definitely have to straighten up and get serious again.

But thanks for the encouragement.:)