Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Details on getting food "unstuck"

Hi all newbie here. I am scheduled for surgery on October 2, 2008. I live in Coeur d Alene, Idaho, think Spokane Washington, real close, and have decided to travel to Everett, Washintong to have my surgery done at North West Weight Loss Surgery by Doctor Montgomery. Little background now to my question.

I have searched the internet a bunch, even asked two different people during my consultation. And still am a little fuzzy regarding the remedy for getting food stuck.

This is the only thing I am really worried about post op.

I have heard that after you are back on regular food and something gets stuck, you have to get it up, by vomiting. I would like to heard about this in as much detail as possible please. Do you have to make yourself vomit, or is it something you body makes you do?

I have heard that it just happens, but I would like to be clear on this point, prior to surgery.

I would appreciate as much infor as you all can provide.

thanks

brian

actually, throwing it up should be an absolute last resort... if you do it too much, you are at risk for losing your band due to slip.

best advice i can give is take small bites, chew until you cannot chew anymore and eat very slowly. put your fork down between bites, count to 20, whatever works for you.

best of luck to you! :thumbup:

Of course, but everyone I have talked to has had to deal with getting somethings stuck from time to time, I just want to be prepared for it.

Sometimes you have no choice and your mouth fills up with thick saliva

and keeps filling up and eventually whatever is stuck, pops up.

I haven't had to do this in a long time, but sometimes walking with my hands in the air, seems to stretch things out and whatever is stuck goes down.

I am getting banded tomorrow so I don't know from first hand BUT I have been reading posts on this site for a few months now. My doctor suggests chewable papaya enzymes. You can get them at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC....if you get something stuck you are supposed to take one of those and its supposed to help break down the food. Hope this helps!

Papaya enzyme tablets can help. Frankly, there isn't much you can do. The food will either go down or come up. If you get stuck for more than 30 minutes, call your doctor. He/she can take all the Fluid out of your band and whatever is stuck will go down.

I haven't experienced it myself yet, but my brother says it's more like a deep burp than a vomit. No acid, no stomach convulsions. He has had it happen a few times and says he can pretty easily dislodge it and make it come up when he has to, I guess you just learn how with time. I'm worried about it too though, that's a part of this I'd rather skip.

You never, never, never want to vomit if you can avoid it. However, when something is really stuck and you have to pb (productive burp) your food just works its way back up. This is nothing like vomiting in that the food is not semi digested, only chewed.

Best thing is to just be careful, when you start to feel any discomfort stop eating, and if you get stuck just wait it out.

The best way to never get food stuck in the first place is to never hard swallow. I have learned that to chew long enough that little pieces naturally slide down, and if there is much left after that, you have a dainty swallow. Its hard to remember, but if you allow yourself to ger ravenously hungry, Ill bet your first bite will be chewed too quickly and hard swallowed and getting that "first bite" painful syndrome. Mindfull eating is what the band will teach you if you dont think before opening your mouth to eat. So dont sweat and get all nervous about eating and getting stuck. It all becomes unstuck one way or another, just try to follow the band rules, and you will be fine. BTW. Dr.Montgomery banded me nearly 3 years ago, the after care is awsome at his clinic and He is a GREAT band DR. Best wishes!! you will be fine.

I can get something unstuck generally if I just bend over and hold my stomach. This is a last resort, as everyone has already said, and you should try to just wait it out. Sometimes papaya enzymes and pineapple juice helps, but sometimes that just means those are the first thing I pb up.

Often after a stuck incident it is best to go on liquids for the next 24 hours to let any swelling go down. Otherwise you increase your chances of getting stuck again.

Getting stuck hurts, and the more you do it the more you risk a band slip, but it isn't the end of the world. I consider it a necessary evil of the band, since it really engraves it into my mind that I should not overeat or eat too fast.