Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very miserable at the moment

Hi~ I had my lapband surgery two years ago in July. I was losing the weight very slowly until just recently.... I am having problems keeping foods and liquids down. I am losing weight, now very quickly. I have an appointment with a gastriologist later this week, at that time hopefully I will know whether it is due to the band. Which if it is... I will need to get unfilled a little for about two months then, get refilled (according to the hospital where I had my surgery). This all started with acid reflux. Has anyone ever had this problem before and how did it get resolved? I am really miserable right now, cause I get so thirsty and can't keep it down.

if you are having problems keeping just liquids down, i'm wondering why you have to wait for an unfill? does the doctor think you have slipped?

when this happens, i suggest an immediate slight unfill to see if that helps.

Mary, I just had my band totally unfilled Friday. I started with heartburn in early June and it led to major reflux. Finally it was so bad I went in to have my band checked. Please do not wait.....you could be risking another surgery. They told me if my swelling doesnt go down and stuff that I will have to have a revision surgery. If you are coughing and spitting up in the middle of the night please go get checked. Not only did I have reflux really bad, but because of it I got dehydrated and passed out twice at the doctors office and had to be put on an IV. :thumbup:

I got Influenza B in March and ended up with Pneumonia - during this I started throwing up etc and ended up having my band unfilled. Ever since then it has been a constant back and forth between getting fills, getting sick, having my band unfilled, etc. My doctor claims that I have forgotten how to eat and food is getting stuck. I first 3 times I thought that might be the case but the last 2 times I was on mushie foods and it still happened. I find it hard to believe that mushie foods got stuck!! Before March I had 7 cc in my band now I can't tolerate anything over 2 cc. I've done the barium swallow and scope and the band is in perfect position, etc. I'm gaining back weight because there is no restriction. Has anyone else ever had this problem? If so, is it still going on or how did you get over it??

Laura S

Hello, I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago, lost all the weight. I've had two fills loosened once and had another fill in Jan. My stomach gives me problems off and on. Since last friday 8-15-2008. The gas in my stomach builds up so bad it is bloated and burns bad. I think it is heartburn, it burns very bad in my belly no reflux. I try heartburn relief but hasn't helped lately. Any body have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You

Becky :thumbup:

Barky, I'm having the same problem with gas. It's just in my belly and i feel like i might explode i thought it was heart burn too but it's just gas in my belly. I'm not having any burning in my esophogus or anything like that.

I don't know what it could be either because i get no relief from gas meds either.

Do you notice your stomach bother you after you eat, or anytime? Mine is usually after I eat and it usually takes 15 min or longer. I'm sure it's when my food is proccessing in my stomach, it has already passed through the band.

Your symtoms sound just like the ones I had, and my band was definately slipped. Don't wait!!! It won't get better on its own. You can do damage to your esophagus if you allow the reflux to continue. You are also stretching your esophagus. I had my band unfilled in May andhave just started the refill process. They go slowly the second time around. I have heard that after a slip another one is more likely. I don't know if that's really true. Seems the top two resons for a slip are the band being just a little too tight and throwing up which can cause your lower stomach to come up through the band causing it to move to a diagonal position. These are bits and piesces I have gathered along the way, but I'm sure it completely factual. Just my experience & what I've been told.