Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do you consider mushies

My doc gave me a specific list of foods for each phase of the recovery process - I'm still on 'full liquids' until the 21st but am also dreaming of the pureed stage (aka mushie). Basically its food that is either already pureed: cottage cheese, oatmeal, cream of wheat, yoghurt, flaked, canned tuna, or food that can be put in a blender and pureed like potatoes, sweet potatoes, meet, vegies etc..there is also soft eggs, tofu, etc.. the list is pretty comprehensive - basically if you can stick in the blender and blend it to a pulp its a mushie food. Baby food is also on the list.

I'm getting hungrier by the day and can't wait til the 22nd!

Interesting...I was told that potatoes and eggs and such are considered "soft foods" and not "mushies" even if they were pureed. My doctor said that mushies were things that were thin enough to drink through a straw (even though we can't use straws). I was told that it was things like applesauce, puddings, baby food, thin oats & cream of wheat, etc. That pureed stuff is off limits to me until the "soft foods" stage :blink: and :biggrin:

My list of mushies was quite liberal, with me starting with pureed food at the start of the week but eating moussakka and sheperds pie by the end of the week. I even had Thai fish cakes (extra soft).

I reckon I could have sucked all of those through a straw if I really wanted to. :blink: I think the Aussies doctors are a lot less strict than the US doctors by the sounds of it.

My list of mushies was quite liberal, with me starting with pureed food at the start of the week but eating moussakka and sheperds pie by the end of the week. I even had Thai fish cakes (extra soft).

I reckon I could have sucked all of those through a straw if I really wanted to. :thumbup: I think the Aussies doctors are a lot less strict than the US doctors by the sounds of it.

and less strict than the Canadian doctors eh!

I've been on soft/mushies since last Wednesday, and have been eating a lot of yogurt (with EAS Protein powder mixed in), cottage cheese, scrambled eggs w/cottage cheese, cheesy tuna (found the recipe on LBT :thumbup:), and Protein shakes. The shakes are cheaters, since they're liquid calories, but it's about all I can manage for Breakfast, and since they're about 290 calories, with 24 grams of Protein, and they keep me full 'til lunchtime, I figure they're OK.

I went hiking this weekend and bonked until I bit the bullet and ate some very well chewed almonds and craisins, but that as close to "real" food as I've come.

It is a learning curve, that's for sure!

I'm glad to see that my doctor isn't the only conservative one out there. He requires 3 weeks of "modified full liquids" after surgery...basically Protein drinks plus Water, broth, Decaf coffee and tea, Crystal Light and other clear, sugar-free things. I get a bit jealous reading posts from people who were eating mushies and soft foods in under a week, but I think I'm going to be glad about it in the long run. I will be well-healed and my Band "set" before any stress is put on it. Plus, my body composition is changing...can you say "ketosis"? lol I think it's going to make it easier to keep eating a small amount once I start adding real food, even before I have restriction.

I won't really have a "mushie" stage. Soft foods are next for me...but I'll have to wait 3 days after my official 3 week post-op day to start, because that's when I see the Nutritionist. :mellow: But I'll make it. I'm really looking forward to some tuna salad, eggs, and refried Beans - not at the same time. lol I'm kinda wary of soft carbs - grits, potato Soup - because I've gotten them out of my system. But I would love to dive into a bowl of potato soup! My doctor suggests 6-8 weeks of the soft foods before finally progressing to Solids at 10-12 weeks post surgery.

I've been thinking about what I want to eat after my appointment next Wednesday. I think I should probably wait til I get home, just in case I have a problem...but part of me wants to get something at a restaurant. I'll see what my Nutritionist says. (I'm jonesing for some bruschetta from Olive Garden right now...and not even the bread. Just the tomatoes!:thumbup:)

My diet never uses the word "mushies." Basically on day 15 the food consistency needs to be soft, easy to chew (i.e. pureed or baby food consistency, but NOT baby food b/c it has too much sugar).

Examples of Protein Foods: chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad (use light mayo), ground turkey/chicken, ground lean red meat, crab meat, baby shrimp, tilapia, flounder, or any other flaky fish

Examples of Vegetables: Mashed or baked potato or sweet potato, V-8 juice, Tomato Soup

Examples of Fruits: unsweetened applesauce, fruit & yogurt smoothie, blended up fruit

The examples were straight from my doctor's paperwork. Hope it helps but more importantly follow your own doctor's orders.

DWRD, that sound much like my doctor's Soft food stage, but at 21 days rather than 15. His post-op doesn't mention mushies either.

My doctor doesn't call it mushies either just a stage 4 diet plan...I guess right now I am on mushies/liquids...protein shakes, puddings, cottage cheese, oatmeal, ricotta cheese, Jello, etc....I called my doctor and he said I can start stage 4 next monday which is exciting for me...I just feel hungry all the time...

I was given the go ahead on mushies and I am in heaven! Nice to stick something in my mouth and chew, even though there is nothing to really 'chew'. I have had pudding, scrambled egg with salsa, refried Beans with salsa and a sprinkle of cheese. Any other suggestions, this is going to get old quickly! The thought of pureeing meat, is not very appetizing.

Anybody else afraid of eating? I am afraid to try new things, not sure how my tummy will react. Kind of weird for somebody addicted to food afraid to eat!

My diet kind of combines full liquids and mushies but never mentions the word mushies. I had Clear Liquids for a week, then now I'm doing a week of what he calls full liquids but it includes extra smooth pureed foods. I've had instant oatmeal made with extra milk, potato Soup, Tomato Soup, baked potato pureed with some milk, pureed cheese ravioli with Tomato sauce (very yummy), milkshake made with light ice cream and a big scoop of Peanut Butter for Protein. I know I'm getting too many carbs but for now I'm eating what comforts my tender belly and not worrying too much about nutrition content as long as I'm getting enough protein and Fiber. I could eat ice cream all day and not go over 1500 calories anyway cause I can only take a few bites at a time, my tummy is still very swollen and sensitive.

Edited by ShrinkyDink