Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's not my fight...but I'm still MAD

Brief history: My father has had spells of psychosis over the years. For a long time it went un-diagnosed and we just thought he was an asshole...tried to get mom to leave him, she wouldn't...We continued to think they're both nuts.

I moved across country a couple years back and my mom and step-dad moved with me a few months later. When they got here, he was in full psychosis mode. She left him and stayed with me for a while and while he was on his own, caused enough drama to be admitted to a mental institution by the police.

At the time there were 2 choices and the police took him to Choice #1 - a state run facility.

They diagnosed him as low thyroid and manic depression. They put him on thyroid meds and psychiatric drugs...he was home in 2 weeks. He didn't remember a thing of the drama he caused and was WONDERFUL. It was like a switch had gone off and he was the nicest man I've ever met.

Fast forward to a month ago. Mom/step-dad bought a house and moved from the apt they'd been renting and that event sparked another psychosis episode (He'd been off the meds for about 1.5 years since "leveling off" with no troubles since). Mom took him to the doctor and they admitted him to another hospital, where social workers admitted him to Choice #2 Private Medical Center.

This place has had him for almost a month, and they kept trying different solutions, wouldn't listen to my mother about his previous diagnosis and he has not gotten any better. He has called my mother several times a day w/crazy stories - he's a spy, they're going to kill him, she's the devil, a frog is Jesus Christ, etc. - until yesterday.

He called yesterday and he's FINE she said. FINE. He's talking normal again, regrets going "psycho" and was okay with being in there until the docs okay'd his leaving.

So, this morning the nurses called mom and told her to come get him, that today is the last day he was allowed to stay according to insurance.

I'M SO MAD AT THAT. They just milked the insurance. They tried different things on him that didn't work...charged the insurance all they could, then when time was running out, they gave him meds they knew would work and now he can leave.

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It just makes me sooo mad. I hate medical stuff and insurance and this just clinches it. My poor stepfather had to pay the price for greedy bastard doctors.

F'ers!!!!

Gloucester,

That really sucks and I hope he can continue to get treatment elsewhere even if it is out-patient but I know dealing with these issues and getting family members to help is a real pain! So good luck to you and and try not to let it encompass your whole life, I've been there, done that myself, take care Nancy.:wink2:

That would make me mad too.

geriatric psych is big business today, because the insurances usually pay very well. There will always be unethical buttholes willing to screw people over for the sake of money. Sorry for ya, Glouc.

It's better this am...he's now an outpatient and he's doing better. But, it's really bad to do that.

I feel worse for my step-dad. He doesn't deserve to be a guinea pig. I just wish my mother would do something about it...But, if wishes were wings, right?

Thanks for letting me vent.