Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question on eating steak

Will I never be able to eat steak again??? I know this is such a stupid question but I was wondering if I will be able to eat it as long as its small bites and its chewed well. Just wondering-:confused2:

Thanks!

I haven't eaten steak yet but did eat part of a pork chop the other day which has the same kind of consistency. I ate it in very small bites and chewed, chewed, chewed. It went down okay except when I inhaled a couple of pieces too quickly and then it hurt. As long as it's moist you should be okay.

Will I never be able to eat steak again??? I know this is such a stupid question but I was wondering if I will be able to eat it as long as its small bites and its chewed well. Just wondering-:confused2:

Thanks!

I was banded in January and I can eat steak fine as long as I take it slow and chew well. chicken on the other hand gives me MAJOR trouble. It is so weird.

chicken is rough on a lot of bandsters depending on how it is cooked. Some have a difficult time with steak or ground beef. I have to be careful with chicken much more than steak.

I have really tight restriction now but steak is not a problem as long as it is a good cut (you want to stay away from cheaper cuts that might be a little tougher) and cooked well (not over cooked and I usually go with medium, a little soft). Steak is one of my favorite foods.

Ohh, and one more thought. If you are going to try steak for the first time, it helps to have a little something with it such as steak sauce, mushroom sauce, gravy, yogurt (if you like mediterranean cuisine) or something similar. It improves the moisture content and makes it go down really easy.

Thanks!

First everyone is different so you will not know if you can eat steak until to try it.

But you will need to eat slow take very small bites and chew chew chew. Take it slow since it will be your first time eating it.

Also get a good cut like filet since it is very tender or t-bone. Cheaper cuts will not break down as easy.

For me I can eat filet but I am not able to eat ground beef go figure. I have problems with chicken breast at times also depends on if its to dry.

And note no question is stupid... Its when you do not ask questions that you run into problems.

Good luck.

:blush:

Had steak and shrimp "on the barbie" just last night...no problems at all!

But really the intolerable foods are personal. Like Trish said the only way to know is to give it a try. Chew well and eat slowly and see what happens.

I do ok wiht the finer cuts of steak...tenderloin or filet. Of course, that's what I preferred before surgery too. I also have no problem with lean ground beef. If the beef has too much gristle, I don't even try it. Unlike some of the other posters, I don't have any problem with chicken. I even ate some sausage yesterday and did fine with it.

I love steak! It's one of my favorite foods. I am able to eat it without a problem provided that it's cut in very small pieces and I chew it thoroughly. On the other hand, I cannot eat canned tuna no matter what I do.

I love steak - chicken and fish not so much so I do eat steak but I had to learn to order the smallest steak on the menu instead of the largest like I used to - cut very small pieces and chew a lot. I have had no problem with eating steak as long as I follow those rules - in fact, I have had more problem with chicken than steak - also, it probably helps if it isn't cooked too well done so it is still juicy instead of drier. Hope this helps.

I love steak too. It is my favorite. I have no problem eating steak. I am starting to have problems with chicken tho. I think I just had a couple of dry pieces. Definitely have some steak sauce or gravy near by in case the piece is a little tough. But is all is person-dependent. Some people can't tolerate it. Just chew really, really well.

thanks so much for everyones feedback, we will just wait and see. I am getting banded Wednesday........wish me luck!!!

Much love and success to all

I eat steak all the time now. I think I first tied it about 3 months after surgery. As long as it's a tender cut and I take small bites and chew forever, it doesn't bother me. If I eat something chewy (like a tough skirt steak), I'll spit it out- I don't want to take chances. Of course, instead of eating an entire ribeye like I used to, now I can only eat maybe 3 fork fulls before i'm done with it.

Usually, my fiance will go to Outback or Longhorn and share a fillet or prime rib. I'll eat about 10%, he'll eat the other 90%. lol

I can't speak for everybody and I know my band is a lot looser than A LOT of people on this site, but there really isn't anything I can't eat. I'm kinda glad that I can still enjoy the foods I like, just a lot less of them than I used to eat.