Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vickie's back!

Sorry, it's been awhile, life seems to always be busy. It's been almost two years since my surgery and although weight lost has been slow, it remains consistent. I have lost about 70 to 75 pounds. I still want to lose about 40 more pounds but I focus on the day by day stuff and realize that I take on things better a day at a time. My health has greatly improved and my clothes size have dropped from a size 26 to a size 18 to 20 (I wear my clothes lose). I have been ever so happy with the lap band results, however I did get a downer today when I went to apply for new health insurance and they told me I would be put in a high risk tier (level) for my monthly payments, due to the lapband surgery. I don't understand this, does anyone else share this experience. First you get dinged for the obesity factor and now for the correction. I ask the agent why the high risk classification? He said that it's because the surgery is an unknown and they don't know what the longterm repercutions will be. Does this seem a fair factor in determining our insurance rates? When did we start rating on the factor of what might be an outcome. I explained that I have no complications from my lapband surgery, which by the way, would be corrective if I ever did. I also explained the improvement of my health with the surgery. He said there was nothing he could do, that's the decision of the insurance ratings board. So what do we do from here? It truly doesn't seem fair. I mean can insurance increase their rates if they just think you are a possible candidate of cancer or any other illness? I think not! So why us? I thought ratings should be based on facts, not perceptions or predictions? Anyone know of any fair insurance plans? Sorry just had to get this frustration out!

Now, back to my weight success. I am a slow loser and being a senior might also have a bit of factor, older can be harder. I am increasing my exercise and that has seemed to help significantly, however I have picked of a couple of courses at school and it's taking it's toll on my time to committ to exercise. So there it is, I am alive, increasing in health and in attitude, and continue to say that lapband was the best decision for me personally. Hope all of you are being successful in your endeavors and God Bless! Oh hang in their slow losers, it can keep on happening!

:blush:

Hi Vickie

Before considering the lap band, I could not lose more than 10 lbs. I have been fat all my entire 50 years. I tested out the pre-op carb diet and lost 15 lbs. the first week. However, I haven't been able to lose a lb. since. The good thing is that I havew been able to keep the 15 lbs. off for the past three months. I am currently waiting for a surgery date.:)

Vickie, I'm no expert on insurance by any stretch, but if I were you I think I'd try to do some research and maybe write some letters. Maybe your doctor can write a letter for you too? Make some type of formal appeal to your insurance carrier. See if there are state and/or federal insurance appeals processes?

Good luck and God Bless!