Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the ultimate slow loser--3 years and 20 pounds

I have not been on lapbandtalk for a couple years! I did so well initially....

I weighed 250 or so, and had surgery is July 2005. I lost about 25 pounds during that year, and then my husband of 20 years decided he no longer wished to be married. It was a shock, and I quickly lost another 20 pounds! So that part was good!

After a year or so, I met a guy who had the gastric bypass surgery, and had a dramatic weight loss of over 200 lbs. He maintained, but boy - could he eat! He ate constantly, and guess what.......so did I! I was happy with him, but his diet rubbed off on me. I quickly gained 30 pounds back. I went for a fill to try to get back on track, but developed terrible reflux.

He's out of the picture and here I am, stuck with about a 10-15 pound weight loss total now........I don't exercise, I don't eat right..........I'm feeling pretty low about things, and I need a royal kick in the pants! I can't get a handle on eating right anymore.....it's so easy to be bad when you live alone! I need some help finding my back to being a lapbander....Any advice for me?? I need to get some tips on what you all eat.....I can't remember what normal bandsters eat. I have gone back to what I used to eat.....and I continue to suffer with reflux....Suggestions? I'd appreciate it......Thanks.

Hi,

With regards to your reflux, I think you should see your Doc about that. You may have a hernia or some such thing as that. You may need that fixed 1st before you get good restriction. You need good restriction to lose weight. I for instance, have no control and need really good restriction to lose, else I just eat and gain weight. I just can't help it, I love food.

Miss Amy, I think you are my twin.

I had surgery 6/06 and have lost and gained the same 25 lbs time and time again. I have reflux issues (that I didn't even realize I had until the EGD showed the damage), a slip, and fills/unfills quite often. I also have PCOS, and am not eating right. (I go for another fill on Friday and I tend to have the "last meal syndrome" a few days before a fill.)

From all of my research on the band, you basically follow a high Protein diet. Protein first, vegetables second, carbs last. Hopefully, you don't make it to the carbs. Then take a Multivitamin daily.

So don't feel alone. Don't be sad. Just get back on the horse... so to speak.

If you want to we can buddy up and PM each other for support. We can be the Turtle Twins...

Hi, I found the perfect thread here! You speak my language girl. I was banded last September, lost about 20 lbs, and have been at a dead standstill. I have been trying to check back in here to lapbandtalk for some reactivation of motivation.

Life just gets crazy, and I always put my eating stuff last. But I have been so much less happy by not paying attention to it. I put up a few signs around the house a couple days ago "Think about more than just this moment", so that when I am reaching for dumb foods, I think about how it is not getting me where I want to go. I have a serious problem with food allergies, and, I have been "clean" for three days now of dairy! Thats huge for me, cause I love cheese and dairyqueen. Two BIG no-nos.

Next week I will be going off wheat. Thats huge too.

When I first came back to lapbandtalk about a month ago, I wasn't ready for the change, but I wanted it. And today, I have 3 clean days under my belt, so hang in there! Your motivation will come, just keep reading peoples comments and give your brain time to process!

Well, well, I should have known to come back here for a little support! I have been banded for 9 months (tomorrow), and have lost only 40 lbs. Granted, I "only" had 65-70 to lose, and I am over half-way there, but still it seems so slow. I have good restriction, but have found ways around that, unfortunately. Still, I only eat about half of what I used to, but it is enough to keep my weight steady. I know I need to exercise more....especially at my age. Thanks, y'all!:)

Hi Akane, my heart goes out to you. Just this morning I suddenly realized that everything I've worked towards with this surgery - the way I eat, the no drinking, no snacking etc., has been slippling through my fingers. Almost like pre-band days. And I feel like I'm spinning out of control. I haven't lost anything in 3 months (but haven't gained which is good).

Hi,

I know how you all feel, losing slowly like that. I have found that in order for me to lose weight - I have to be so restricted that I spend most of my life on liquids, as soon as I'm on solids, my weight loss stops. This process can be quite exhausting. Is anyone else out there simply exhausted from this process?

Hi Amy,

This is my first post ever on any forum and your subject line immediately caught my eye! It must be fate! I too am struggling desperately. I was banded June, 2006 and have only lost about 45 lbs. To make matters worse I seem to be gaining.

I had trouble with reflux a while back,went thru x-rays etc. only to confirm that my band was too tight. Had it loosened almost completely for about six weeks, then tightened again and everything was fine.

My problem now is that I just can't seem to get my eating under control. I am eating the wrong things (fats, carbs, sugars) and then the cycle begins. Hate myself something awful!!

Anyway if you receive any extra "kicks in the pants" send them my way.

Claudia

So Im back on the site for the first time in 2 months. I was just banded in July 08 and have only lost 25 lbs. All of those pounds in the first 6 weeks. Ive fluxuated 10 lbs or so in the last 2 months but really just maintaining. When I saw this thread, I didn't feel like such a moron. It really helped to know that others are sharing some of the same difficulties that I am going through.

Because I'm going through basically the same thing (not eating right, not enough restriction, etc) I cant really offer any advice or anything. I just really thank all you guys for your thoughts and experiences. You all inspire me!

Im going to just get back on track. Do this 5 day pouch test thing, stop eating all these sweets and um well, that's a big start for me in itself.

Thanks again! We bandsters rule!!!!!:blush:

Hello all! I'm going thru the same problems. I have slowly let old eating habits back in the hatch. Not good!! I now have a dilated esophagus and have to let it heal for 6 weeks. Please don't let this happen to you! I too am back on the wagon and will be checking in daily. :) Let's do it!!

I have been there also. Its so hard. I thought, incorrectly as it turns out, that my "dieting" days would be over with this surgery. The word diet just makes me mad. I have learned however over the past few weeks that for me eating the bariatic way works. I am basically on a low carb diet...protein first then veggies and then carbs. But I also agree with the other members to go see your doctor to make sure everything is ok before focusing in on the weight loss part.

Hello all! I'm going thru the same problems. I have slowly let old eating habits back in the hatch. Not good!! I now have a dilated esophagus and have to let it heal for 6 weeks. Please don't let this happen to you! I too am back on the wagon and will be checking in daily. :rolleyes: Let's do it!!

Hi,

How did your esphagus dilate? I'm so worried I've done this to mine.

Hi All - I disappeared from this board for awhile - wallowing in self pity, I guess.....Anyway - I'm here and ready to move forward, making changes to what I've been doing. I vow to eat MUCH smaller portions. I will allow myself to indulge in small portions of favorites one day a week - only. And if I don't lose that week, that day is gone too. I am trying to be aware of the carbs in my diet....so here's hoping!

Thanks for the replies. Let's keep it going!

Amy

Hi Everyone,

I have been there - where all of you have been - and recently got back on the bandwagon - working hard at it.

If you would like a place to share failures, successes, get a kick in the pants, or just vent, please please, join us on the "I have failed my band support group. The link is below my weight tracker.

Hope you are well, and hope to see you soon!!