Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 6-2-05. How do you get the H2O in w/ all the protein supplements?

Well- I'm finally banded. Feeling great and wondering why I didn't do this sooner. Of course, I'm still on Full liquids. I'm having trouble getting H20 in. I was told to have 2 oz of Protein Shake per hour, which is pretty much filling me up. I'm not getting Water in. Help!

Here's my day:

7am Bkfst: 2 oz Danimal Yogurt w/ 2 TBSP Baby rice Cereal w/ bananas. Made sure it was real watery. = 3 Protein

8am: 2 oz. chocolate Protein shake = 4 protein

9am 2 oz chocolate protein shake = 4 protein

10am: 2 oz crystal lite w/ nectar protein - roadside lemonaid. 6 protein(4 oz has of this Nectar protein has 12gm of protein.)

11am: 2 oz crystal lite w/ nectar protein - roadside lemonaid 6 protein

12pm: 2 oz h20

1pm: Lunch: 2 oz. Left over homemade clam chouder- put thru the blender. 5 protein.

2pm: 2 oz crystal lite w/ vanilla protein mix. 12gm protein

3pm 2 oz crystal lite w/ vanilla protein mix 12gm protein

4pm: I'm so full still that I'm afraid to drink anything.

So- where/when do I drink the h20? I don't want to overload and PB. I had an episode while I was still in the Hosp when I got real nauseated and PB'd the cranberry juice had just drank. I feel real dehydrated and I'm constipated because I'm use to drinking almost 64oz of h20 daily.

Was this the menu that your doctor gave you? You will find that EVERYONE gets different orders from their docs and you should follow what he/she tells you to do, but IMHO... it seems that maybe you could cut out the extra items like the clam chowder, yogurt, rice and banana and stick to 2 oz of pure Protein shake each hour and sip on Water throughout the day.

It looks like you are getting close to 50 grams of Protein with your current menu and the vanilla protein in the crystal light is giving you 12 grams of protein with a 2 oz serving. Maybe you are getting too much protein in one sitting and it is making you feel too full. Don't get me wrong, you need protein to keep you from feeling hungry... but Water is just as important during this phase.

I would discuss with my doc.

Here's my instructions from the Dr. and Nutritionist:

First 3 days : Clear Liquids (1-2 oz every hour)

First 6wks weeks after surgery: Full liquids

3 meals (2 oz meals ex: Cream of wheat, soup)

24 oz/day (2 oz every hour of supplemental Protein beverage. ex: no sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast or Isopure throughout the day.)

Weeks 6-8: Regular Diet:

Use food processor to shred or dice food

3 meals (2oz meals) and supplemental Protein beverage (2 oz every hour.)

8th Week after surgery: Regular/Solid Diet:

3 meals *4 oz or 1/2 cup per meal and 2-3 Snacks

resume eating solids gradually, chew until food is applesauce consistency.

Drink at least 32 oz of Fluid daily.

Have protein-rich food at each meal and drink 24 oz. of protein supplement each day. (2 oz/hr.)

Water should be sipped slowly for thirst, throughout the day.

I really haven't had any hunger pains... yet. But I do miss my Water. I've tried drinking a little between 2 oz of protein, but I get a weird feeling in my stomach and know that if I don't stop I'll either hurt or hurl.

Karri, I found Water to be harder to drink than other liquids. Even Gatorade somehow went down better than water. Go figure. But water was certainly drinkable, and you should try to get it in. I'd personally be more concerned with the water than the protien. You could drop up to 10 protiens from your menu and still be fine, and substitute with good ole clear clean healthy healing water. At least for a few days until swelling goes down and you are able to get it ALL in.

Thanks Sassaay and Kathy-

I've decided that I'm going to do my H20 every other time today and see how that goes. So at least I'll be getting 24+ oz of H20.

I've found a great site to order Protein drink mix off the internet, www.bariatriceating.com. I ordered the sampler pack and I bought the book yesterday from 1/2 price books. Great recipes and the nectar Protein mixes can be mixed w/ crystal lite (taste good.) for added protein.

I put the protein on the 1st msg wrong @ 2&3pm : is should be 6 gm instead of 12 gm.

Plan: start drinking like a fish again. :)

i just sip on my Water all day long and don't have a problem. Of course, i can eat what ever i want. I need to see about getting another fill!!!

Hi Karri,

I agree with Kathy... I think that is a good plan. It is great that you are not feeling hungry (I am sure it has to do with the Protein ever hour)... but if you stick to high Protein when you do drink it... I am sure you will be fine and can still get in some of your Water.

Feel better soon and keep us posted on how it goes.

Take Care,

Guest swilliams

I read your e-mail regarding Protein and it is something I have also been battling, but in my case, I don't think I am getting enough. Can you tell me how many grams your doctor recommended? Also, are you losing weight quickly or just a pound or so a week?