Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello From Upstate New York!

Hello!

I just started my classes toward gastric surgery July 7, 2008. I don't know yet which one I will have, so I'm cruising the support sites and reading everything I can find! I am at 258lbs.; which is where I have been for 11 months now. I need to lose 13 lbs. I am a little concerned because the nutritionist says my target goal is only 200lbs? I kind of feel like, if I'm gonna go through all this shouldn't I expect to lose alittle more than that? Any thoughts on this anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes::biggrin:

What do you need to lose the 13 lbs for? I would think with the lap band or any other WLS you have you should be able to go lower then 200lbs!

Oh btw welcome to the board :rolleyes: It's a great place to read and learn

Good-luck to you!

Here in Upstate our insurance requires us to show our commitment to weight loss; mine Aetna requires a 5% loss before acceptance to surgery. I'm lucky BC/BS requires a 10% loss! As to the goal weight, everyone in the chat room says I will lose more than that. I guess my doc just doesn't want to get sued if I stall out!

Hi Jennifer,

Where in Upstate NY are you from?I live in Liverpool NY people usually know Syracuse better.Don't let that dietician get you to frustrated.You could lose even more then what she says.I know from experience how hard it is to lose 13lbs.If you put your mind to it you can do it.They didn't tell me how much I needed to lose prior to the surgery.I managed,not sure how,to lose 26lbs in 6 months prior to my surgery.As long as they see you are losing weight when you go in there should be no problem.Just hang in there.Good luck!

Donna

Hey Donna! I live in Binghamton! My grandmothers ancestors settled Eagle Village and Pompey Hill in the 1790s and founded DeWitt in 1800. So I'm pretty familiar with the Syracuse area. I also worked as an X-ray tech at University Hospital in 1993.

Hello to all you upstaters....Although I never lived there my whole family is from upstate, NY. My parents met in school in Franklinville, but their brothers and sisters have spread out up there now, but all still in the vacinity.

Hello, I'm from Rome, any body from that area? I am just getting started, I attend my first info meeting on Monday. Any one know the guidelines for MVP insurance?

MVP requires you to lose 5% of your weight before surgery. Also they will not cover a band for any patient with a BMI of 50 or higher. If you fall in that category I believe they will only cover a bypass.

Hey Donna! I live in Binghamton! My grandmothers ancestors settled Eagle Village and Pompey Hill in the 1790s and founded DeWitt in 1800. So I'm pretty familiar with the Syracuse area. I also worked as an X-ray tech at University Hospital in 1993.

Hello!

I am also from Binghamton! It is so nice to see people from my home town here.

:(

Hello Landy!

I haven't been back in awhile so it was nice to get your post! I had gastric bypass on Jan.21, 2009. I have lost 20lbs. in two months and a total of 65lbs. since last July! Where in Bingo are you?