Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How DO you handle your cravings?

So i got my band in may this year and im doing pretty good. Started at 343lbs and im at 278lbs now. And this past friday I had my gall bladder out also... so anyways now u know a lil background on me... heres the real questions.

I have been having a small issue with cravings. Since im out of work this week and cant do much im kinda sitting around the house... i feel like i am giving into food and cravings more then i should be. Now im not getting crazy where im eating fast food non stop or candy.. but i am making some poor food choices. Can someone offer some tips , tricks or even support to help me get my butt back on track? thanks ahead!

~~jessica

maybe go for a walk - do some exercise?

i'm sorta giving in to my cravings as well lately - not really denying what i want, but in general i make pretty good food choices on a regular basis.

exercise helps with that regard, i'm less likely to reach for Snacks / high cal foods after having a good workout.

yeah i usually work out everyday but im still pretty sore from the gall bladder being removed. ty for the help!

If I am having a craving I eat it. I mean I don't lose my mind but if I want a cookie I have it, ice cream I have some, candy bar...well I haven't wanted one of those yet. All I am saying is if you want something ,have some in moderation. You have done very well in your weight and if you want a little something I think it's ok. I am sure there are ppl that will not agree with me but <shrug> I am 85 pounds down and very happy with my success so I don't think I am WAY off base :tongue_smilie: lol

If you are eating ONLY because your bored then I can see where that could cause a problem. Since you just had your gallbladder out working out isn't really an option for you. Maybe read a good book? Get a ton of rag mag's!!! lol Rent a movie or when all else fails SLEEP!!!!

If you are still feeling the need to munch maybe slice up a bell pepper real thin( Or veggie of your choice) and have some ranch dressing, it will give you the feeling you have a bowl of "something" to munch on. I am not sure what you can have with your gallbladder out. Maybe some fat free crackers....will still give you the feeling of munching on something :biggrin:

You really have done GREAT so far!!! Good-Luck to you!

I chew gum. This also helps when I have to wait half an hour after eating before I can drink anything. Sometimes my cravings aren't for anything in particular, I just miss having something in my mouth and chewing. It's particularly bad after a fill when I have 2 days of liquids before advancing back to a normal diet.

If I'm going to have cravings, more often than not they will occur for me between the hours of 3 and 7. This has always been a problem time for me. :thumbup: I wish I owned stock in Orbitz. :sneaky:

Find out what triggers your cravings. Sounds to me like it's boredom for you at the moment. I can relate to that, being a stay-at-home-mom. Get yourself busy. Clean out a drawer (the junk drawer always needs attention), compose an e-mail, go for a walk, read a book, do a crossword, rearrange your wardrobe, polish some shoes, do some ironing.... there's always a chore that needs attention. :thumbup:

I can control my cravings for most things, except salty chips. I have the WORST time with that..... If I crave something I can usually go watch TV, read, clean the house, do laundry, anything to get my mind off of it, but chips literally call out to me!! It's horrendous. It's a struggle to convince my mind I don't really need them.