Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

breastfeeding while banded

Holy Cow! I looked up the website for domperidone. FDA warning against taking it while breastfeeding or not. They highly DO NOT recommend anyone taking this. Check out website.

Of course not- it actually works and does not cross the blood brain barrier (like REGLAN- the perferred drug of choice which can cause depression or suicide in some women) AND IS AN OFF MARKET USE. dOMPERIDONE (20 mg 4x per day) IN THE AMOUNTS NEEDED TO INCREASE PROLACTIN - HORMONE MAJORLY RESPONSIBLE FOR MILK PRODUCTION is no where near what they were talking about and the heart attacks were for introvenous use- again not the same. This drug is used in almost all other countries (England, Canada, Australia, New Zeland,France, etc) as a stomach aide for children and adults and sold over counter in most. But we the fount of all knowledge find it unreasonable to let medical professionals and people decide what works best for them and ruin our ability to help lactating women with problems.

On a note- your doctor can prescribe reglan if there is an issue- but I wouldn't use it. The cross the blood brain barrier and probability to personality and mood changes was too much of a side effect for me. Also iusing anything to enhance proolactin- usually cause some mile weight gain due to increased appetite.

If you haven't guessed --- I used domperidone to facilitate lactation for my adopted little ones- before Adrian. I also believe it helped me so well that I had/threw the one and only egg I ever mad e to get pregnant with Adrian. So I am happy it is there and that the American Assoc.,of Pediatricians is still recommending as preferred drug for lactation enhancement

Yes, just as Jane said the Reglan that some doctors recommend can cause major side effects, so I chose not to go that route.

The Domperidone does have a warning on it, but just like Jane said, those test studies were used with major higher doses than what you would use to aid in lactation. Also true what she said about the government not wanting people to use non FDA approved drugs. God forbid they miss out on some money! LOL

Seriously though.......I thoroughly researched this drug before relactating for Dylan. There was no way that I wanted him getting major drugs in him that would screw him up. If you read and really research it, you will find that the small amount you would need will not give the baby ANY side effects what-so-ever, and the only side effect you may have is a headache. And if you happen to get a headache from it, you just back off on your dosage a bit and that won't happen again. (I had it happen once and I backed off the dosage slightly and I never had that problem after.)

You can order online at this link: http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1003

This is the cheapest place online. And just so you don't get confused, Motillium is the generic name for Domperidone.

If you decide not to do it, then that's fine too. It's your child and your body. I just know how much it helped me, and I KNOW that I couldn't have kept my supply up without it.

Good luck to you in whatever you do!

Well, I talked with the lactation consultant today. She also recommends the Domperidone. She said the FDA is always against hoistic, natural type remedies. She pretty much just reinforce the Protein Shakes. She definetly wasn't real helpful. I think you guys have been much more informative and intuitive than she was. So, Thank you!

I'm so glad that she was able to give you at least a little help. She is right about the FDA and them not wanting us to use natural/holistic/herbal type remedies instead of the FDA approved drugs. It just means that they don't get the money from it.

While I lactated for Dylan I was using the Domperidone plus Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. But bare in mind that I was starting from no milk supply and building it up to a full one. I basically had to trick my body into thinking that it was pregnant/had new baby again.

I believe that if you used the Domperidone, that that would be enough to help keep your already established supply built up for you. I honestly don't think that you'd need the Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle.

Another thing that helped keep my supply up was tea. I know that while nursing we aren't supposed to have caffeine, so you'd want to go with the decaffinated kind. (They have some yummy flavored hot teas that I brew and then let cool off and drink iced. That's a nice alternative to the plain if you get bored with it.)

Also drinking milk helps, but not too much or baby can develop an allery to cow's milk. (Dylan had this from me drinking too much milk while nursing the first time around. He needed the soy formula, which bound him up, and was the reason why I relactated for him!)

I agree about drinking a lot of Protein too. Isopure Protein Powder comes in different flavors, and offers 50 grams of Protein per serving. You can find it at any GNC store, and also online too.

I'd also make sure that you have a good pump with you to help keep supply up as well. I rented one from our local hospital health store, and it was an industrial grade one. I think that since you already have a supply built up though, you can probably get by with just a regular good sturdy pump. (Whisper Wear are famed to be wonderful!)

Best of luck to you! I know that you can do this, and you'll be so proud of yourself in the end for sticking to it! I'm proud of you and I barely know you! LOL Please holler at me anytime if you need additional help. You are a true inspiration!!!

My biggest fear with quitting nursing is that she'll have problems with ear infections later in life. I hear most bottle fed babies end up with ear problems (ie. needing tubes).

My bottle-baby son never had a single ear infection his entire life. I breast fed until I had my motorcycle accident when he was 3 months old. I stopped because the trauma of the accident stopped my milk.

It is possible that the trauma of the surgery could stop your milk production as well.

I certainly hope I don't have ear problems. I'm glad you didn't, and I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I hope everything is okay now. I have definetly considered that my milk production may stop altogether. I'm just going to keep nursing until the surgery to give her 12 weeks worth. I know she'll be fine regardless. I certainly know numerous people who weren't nursed and they are just fine. Thank you for your input. I'm starting to get nervous about the surgery. At first I was so psyched, but I feel like the more I am reading of bandsters, the more discouraged at success I feel. I'm worried that I will fail at this too like everthing else I've tried. Can I eat the proper way the rest of my life. I've been reading about people gaining weight and being stuck and having to exercise constantly. This makes me nervous. I'd like to think I have the will power to do all of this; but if I did, I certainly wouldn't need the surgery. Any advise???? I so desperately want to be thin, but just can't imagine. I so easily remember as a child playing the game hungry hippos, and the kids saying hungry-hungry Heather. It still makes me want to cry. I remember when we had to run in gym class faking that a rock hit my tooth so I couldn't run. Looking back makes me laugh, like the teacher didn't fall for that one. I always hated that everyone would always look at the person I was with and not me. Atleast not in a good way. Anyways, enough whining on my part. Hopefully this will be the answer to my prayers and prayers and prayers!!!!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha. Sorry, you are right on schedule. I don't think I've read of one person here on LBT that wasn't freaked out by their impending surgery. (((((hugs)))))

Getting hit by a rock was a pretty good excuse. I hated PE classes as a child. Always, always. The kid in the coma would get paicked before me.... "No fair, we had to take Crystal last time! Nu-uh, we had her."

Oh- I cried the day of surgey- was so afraid I was going to die and leave Eric with four kiddos. Please take my word for it- The hardest thing for me was to keep thinking positive. I am having such PMS today (gained 4 lbs- I never weigh the week befroe but for some stupid reason Colin asked me to weigh all of them today - but I was stupid- so now I feel like a failure again too- even though (in my head) I know I am not!!!!

Crystal is right- you are so on schedule!!! I wish I could say you will do great! it will all come off. I sure hope so and I really am not all that dedicated to remebering to eat- just getting in the Protein and taking my supplements- but that started with my pregnancy so it is nearly 2 3/4 year of habit now!!!

Good luck- keep a positive attitude and hopefully wour milk will show no major drop off. Order the domperidone to have it ahead of time if you need it (they are so small- no fear that won't fit!!!!) I know a place you can sell them if you don't need them - adoptive breastfeeding site (they also help with tummy upset)- my LC reccomends them still- and I never had any problems except extra milk so yeah!!!!

Good luck- and I hated gym class more than anything too- funny I still have locerroom fears!!!!

Who ever came up with the saying "names will never hurt me" was on some good stuff. Where can I get some? LOL Thanks for the support.

Oh yes! I belonged to that adoptive breastfeeding site while researching to relactate for Dylan! I may have even spoken to you at one time or another Jane! How cool is that!!! Such a small internet world it is!