Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

San Fernando Valley/Los Angeles Bandsters

Anyone in the SFV w/ lapband? Can't seem to find a support group for bandsters in the SFV close to Burbank/Toluca Lake. Mine's at Cedars but it's mainly for gastric bypass patients. Too far to go on a weekday as well. Would like to find a group that meets in the evenings (after 7pm) or on the weekends.

OR LET'S START ONE! I figure we can try to get a room for free at the library or a local college to meet and discuss. What do you think? Or meet in the park - somewhere not food-related!

Howdy - There might be a support group at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena. I am at the beginning of my LB journey and my doctor works with the Bariatric Group at Huntington so I'm sure that's where I'll end up! I was contemplating Cedars Sinai but we shall see... In any case to answer your question, I think they have a support group @ Huntington, but I'm not sure when. If you find out let me know!!

I know its been awhile since you made this post but I wanted to let you know that I live in the North Hollywood/Burbank area and would like to get together to talk about our lapband experiences. Starting a group would be appealing to me. I go to a support group through my bariatric surgeon at St. Joseph's Hospital but it is open to everyone that have had bypass or lapband procedures. Many of the issues we have can be shared with bypass patients but many things are different and I would like to attend a group for people with lapband only. If you write back here, I will give you my e-mail address so we can exchange phone numbers. This website has really helped me.

I live in Van Nuys, and though I'm not banded yet, I love the idea of a group for bandsters, and if we were welcome, though of us who are waiting to be banded.

That is great news! A future bander in my area. My private e-mail address is e.tippit@yahoo.com Please contact me. I'd like to know at what stage you are in finding out about getting your lapband. I had my done last May 2008 at St. Joseph's Hospital. I can recommend my bariatric surgeon, Philip Quilici. I may not have the spelling of his name right. He is excellent. I have Anthem Blue Cross and it was covered. I still had to pay a portion of the one night hospital stay and doctor's charge but it is worth every penny. I have gone from a size 22 to size 18 (closer to size 16). I just bought pants that are size 14 to 16.

OMG.... I'm getting Banded Thursday (October 23) at St Joesph's in Burbank...his office has support classes twice a month...but the one through Facey in Mission Hills rocks...great people and guest speakers...sometime people bring in samples... which is always nice :biggrin:

:thumbup:Very good news. Congratulations! I wanted to share a few things with you since I was banded at St. Joseph's on May 20, 2008. I assume you have Dr. Quilici doing the surgery (if not please let me know). Expect to get there many hours before they actually do the surgery. I found out from the nurses in the surgery center that Dr. Quilici does this on purpose. Its crazy making for whoever takes you the hospital because the procedure only takes 45 minutes and you are there 4 or 5 hours waiting until the surgery is done. Also, I would take your own robe and slippers (ones you can walk in because they have you and up and walking shortly after the banding). I used the hospital gowns because they are in endless supply and cotton and really work well. If I did it again, I would bring some music device (IPOD or CD player) because it would nice distraction from watching television and reading. I bought some magazines to read and it also helped. I had a private room which was very nice and unexpected. I hope you have a great experience like I did. The hospital and staff are A+ in my eyes.

Thanks for the tips :eek: About to get my bag ready for tomorrow :thumbup: ohhh brainfart... yes I have Dr Quilici ... I can't believe I have to be fasting from midnight till 130pm...i think he is trying to kill me lol Ohh and did I mention the two weeks of liquids :eek: lol

Keep ur fingers crossed for me :w00t:

~Dish~

I live in North Hollywood and would love to join or start a group in our area. I was banded at Cedars in June but have only had 1 adjustment because I lost my insurance soon after. I am trying to find a cheap place to get a fill for cash.

Please include me in any ideas about a group or ideas on how i can get adjustments at a resonable price til i get new insurance.

my private email is toni.tardino@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Toni

:wink_smile:You can do it! If I can do it, you can. Please let me know how your surgery went and how you are doing.

You can call my bariatric doctor's office to find out fills for cash. My bariatric surgeon is Philippe Quilici, M.D. His telephone number is (818) 848-8311. I receive my fills from his associate doctor, Dr. McVay. I've heard about fill centers in other parts of the country but not in our area. Maybe you can search Google to see about any in our area? You can also read up on this website to see how other people get their fills without insurance.

I attend a support group at St. Joseph's Hospital on Wednesday nights (the dates vary, its not every Wednesday). The next meeting is November 5 at 6:30 p.m. I don't think the meetings are restricted to only people who go to Dr. Quilici. The meetings are held on the second floor just above the main lobby. They are also attended by people who have had bypass and other bariatric surgeries. We do share many of the same concerns but I would like to start a group for lapbanders in our area. I will let you know how we can start this. Even if we get a handful of people to meet at a park or coffee shop would be helpful just to share with each other.

Ellen... thanks for the encouragement....I so needed that ;) I completely fell apart on the table...wondering if this was the right thing to do. I'm glad I did...cuz this is life changing :) I was hoping to go home today...but the nausea is bad...and can't keep much down. So playing it by ear....

For the person looking for a cash fill...a friend of a friend sees a doctor in thousand oaks...he charges 200 a fill...

:) Dish

Hopefully the nausea will disappear soon. Luckily, I did not have it. Please let me know how you are doing later today.

Hi Ellen :thumbup:

I'm finally home after 3 days in the hospital. They got my nausea uncontol by cutting my pain meds in half. I started my liquid meds and broth today...so they gave me the boot :( I got an abdominal binder which helps a lot since I may have aggravated my tummy with throw up. But I hafta be honest...I had a mental breakdown yesterday morning..thinking what the hell have I done to myself. My nurse reasurred me everthing would be okay...and this would pass. Well..god bless her..cuz I feel much better today ..and just sore. While I was in the hospital...I befriended a gal (she has bypass)...and she had a mental breakdown the night before...I guess its all par for the course....

Thanks for caring and letting me vent.... :wink2:

I am so sorry to hear about your meltdown. I had a similar feeling right before my surgery and before they gave me medication to put me to sleep in the operating room. It scared the hell out of me. It also made me think once again of why I could not get my eating and food under control by myself. Surgery for weight loss? I thought I was at an all time low.

That is behind me and I realize today that I made the right decision. My food and life is under control because of having the powerful tool of the lapband. I wish that I could have done by myself and I am doing this by myself but the lapband really helps me. I have other tools like my support group and support from family and friends but the lapband helps me feel full and not have those crazy cravings and desires for excess food or wrong food choices.

Hang in there. I hope each day gets better for you.