Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month classes to start

I am really excited about starting the 6 month program with Kaiser. I guess the 6 month program is pretty new, because I never heard of it before. They called today and moved the date up to Aug. 25 instead of the Sept. date. Finally, I can start on this road to a better and healtier life.

I'm right there with you! Tomorrow will be my third class with Kaiser in Fresno. I'm excited as well to finally be moving forward with this process.

Take care & best wishes!:biggrin2:

I'm right there with you! Tomorrow will be my third class with Kaiser in Fresno. I'm excited as well to finally be moving forward with this process.

Take care & best wishes!:biggrin2:

That's great, it looks like we are starting together! So how is it so far? Are you doing the options also?

That's great, it looks like we are starting together! So how is it so far? Are you doing the options also?

Class so far has been good. The first night was mostly paperwork, weighing in and going over the materials. Second night was going over what foods we should be eating and Portion Control, which are all things we all already know. Being overweight most of your life (like myself), you already know how to diet, it's just applying it. Which is what I'm struggling with. I do good all day long, then by the time I'm off work, it all goes down hill from there.

I see you have already lost a lot of weight. Congratulations! May I ask how your doing it? Are you exercising? That's something else I'm struggling to get motivated to do!

I'm not sure I know what you mean about doing the options. Is this something your doing through Kaiser? Please explain so I can find out more info! Thanks.

Take care!

Hi,

Congratulations, on moving forward towards a healthier lifestyle. I too, am just starting out on my journey. I am still in the paper work stages my hope is that by the end of next week I too am looking forward to starting my adventure down the yellow brick road in hopes to finally end this yo-yo life.

I would like to stay in touch as we are starting out around the same time..

Cheers!

Di

Hi everybody!!!! Im totally new here and I have Kaiser is So. Cal. I have a dr's appt set up for my PCP next Thursday, what I need to know, do I just tell himm that I want a referral for WSL??? Im totally in the dark. I have my 5 yrs of history my BMI is off the charts with co morbs.... So what's next??? HELP PLEASE...

Hi, Im Boopie ... Sorry to be so forward but, Im so confused do you have Kaiser her in So. Cali??? I too have Kaiser and after reading your post, Im under the impression that they do cover Banding??? Im out here in the "Valley" S.F. by way of Pasadena, ooppss getting of the subject, anyways is Kaiser covering you, and if so what is the procedure or road that you took? Im just too through with all the yes no's and maybe so's.... Serious venting I guess :~) oooppps this is a shout out for swtcoco75, or for that matter anybody that can give me some guidance, PS my PCP appt @ Kaiser is next Thursday 8-28-08

Holla...:P

Edited by Boopie

Hi, Im Boopie ... Sorry to be so forward but, Im so confused do you have Kaiser her in So. Cali??? I too have Kaiser and after reading your post, Im under the impression that they do cover Banding??? Im out here in the "Valley" S.F. by way of Pasadena, ooppss getting of the subject, anyways is Kaiser covering you, and if so what is the procedure or road that you took? Im just too through with all the yes no's and maybe so's.... Serious venting I guess :~) oooppps this is a shout out for swtcoco75, or for that matter anybody that can give me some guidance, PS my PCP appt @ Kaiser is next Thursday 8-28-08

Holla...:tongue:

Well, I live in Fresno and the process so far has been:

Met with PCP and told her that I was interested in being banded. She told me I have to go to the seminar.

About 5 weeks later I went to the seminar (which was mostly information about Gastric Bypass and very little on banding because Fresno just started doing it)

The next week I started the required 20 weeks of weight loss management classes.

In the mean time, I need to have my PCP refer me to the Psych and Nutrition appointments and lose the mandatory 10% of my body weight (about 27 lbs.). Once I'm near the end of my classes and lost most of the required weight, then I'll have my PCP refer me to the surgery department for approval. Also, your BMI has to be at least 40, or lower with comorbidities.

Hope this gives you at least some idea what So. Kaiser may require.

Good Luck!

Ok so this is the deal, I had a PCP appt last Thursday @ Kaiser Woodland Hills, I made him send a referral to Health Education (hes cool like that) cool.gif. Anyways so I waited this long holiday weekend and made my calls this morning. I called the Health Education Dept, made sure that they received my referral and had them set me up for labs, Im having that done first thing in the morning, and then they (Hlth Edu Dept) Will call the Panorama City (The Valley) Kaiser and have my orientation set up. Which is 6 looooooonnnnnggggg months!!!!They also said that they do cover Gastric Bypass (Hell To The Naw):) Lap Banding, and the Gastric Sleeve. So thats where I am in this long journey, even though they are little bitty baby steps :blushing: I believe South Bay Kaiser is the other place where classes are held. The bottom line is, Yes Kaiser does cover the Banding, you just gotta stay on them and it will be at least 6 month I guess give or take a few days... Hope this helps Ill give the play by play as I get it

Boopie

Ok baby step #2 Ive gotten my orientation date... Drumroll please!!! October 20th!!! is my date, and today is only September 4th!!! Could it have been any further:cursing: But hey whatever, at least I got one:smile2:. Now you know Ill be callin in every week to see if they have any cancellations,but when I asked, that too had a waiting list. Go figure.

Boop

Update ladies.... Well my orientation date has now been pushed up... :thumbup:Thanks to me and my persistance.. I called to see if they had any cancellations for this comming Monday, and they did!!!! Yay!!! You know Im on that phone everyday. The nurse was like "Havent I talked to you a coulple of times?" and I was like "Um yeah..." and he was like " Okay come on in Monday and Ill give you the orientation packet if you havent received your in the mail" I was like " OMG are you serious?" So Ill be showing up for the seminar @ 3Pm till 5 pm. I sure hope everything else moves this smoothly:laugh: Im so freakin happy:lol:

I finish my 6 month program October 3. Paperwork gets sent to insurance october 6th. It goes by soooo quickly. Just yesterday it was may!

Well, I live in Fresno and the process so far has been:

Met with PCP and told her that I was interested in being banded. She told me I have to go to the seminar.

About 5 weeks later I went to the seminar (which was mostly information about Gastric Bypass and very little on banding because Fresno just started doing it)

The next week I started the required 20 weeks of weight loss management classes.

In the mean time, I need to have my PCP refer me to the Psych and Nutrition appointments and lose the mandatory 10% of my body weight (about 27 lbs.). Once I'm near the end of my classes and lost most of the required weight, then I'll have my PCP refer me to the surgery department for approval. Also, your BMI has to be at least 40, or lower with comorbidities.

Hope this gives you at least some idea what So. Kaiser may require.

Good Luck!

H

Wow! I also have Kaiser Souther Ca, I had no idea that the PCP has to submit like 4 referrals.....so your PCP after giving the initial orientation approval referral he/she still have to authorize pschy, nutrition and after that...still send another referral for surgery approval???? WOW! I was under the impression once approved into the Options program ( after the initial referral from your PCP to attend orientation ) you wouldn't need to have to request referrals from your PCP any longer, please confirm. Thank you and wishing all the best on your journey!

This has been the process for me in Fresno. After reading other Kaiser threads on this board, it sounds like each Kaiser may do things a little different.

Check with your PCP and go from there.

Good Luck!