Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you determine what weight you wanted to eventually be?

I went with size. I am almost 5'9' and my goal was size 16 with a stretch goal of 14 (that is what I was in high school). I started in a size 24 and I am in a 16 right. I have a goal of fitting looser 16s and jeans so that is what I am aiming for. I weight 213 so I am hoping for 185-200. My doctor said that 185 would be good but we agreed that 200 is fine. I go by size only.

Right now. My goal is to be a size 12. I started this journey as a size 22, and am currently down to a size 18.... and I'm still pre op.

Teri

That's an interesting question. I was sure that I didn't want to set unrealistic expectations. I went over my weight history with my doctor and told him my all time low was 117. I explained I didn't expect to get down that low, after all I'm 47 not 20. His response to me was, "how did you feel when you weighed 117?" I said I felt great. He said, "Then why are you selling yourself short? You said you felt great at that weight, then why stop at 130? You are paying to have this surgery done, why wouldn't you want to make the most of it?"

I had no response. Because it made absolute sense.:mad2:

themis:

I weighed about 127 when I graduated from high school. I think that I weighed 140 when I was 26 years old. I used to be 5'8", but with age I'm down to 5'7". Of course I felt great at both of those weights. However, now that I'm closer to being at a goal weight I realize that because I got so big there's going to be so much sag and loose skin that if I got down to 127 or 140 I'd look like a freak! I already look kind of freaky in the lower abdomen and legs. I think that I'll be quite happy at 170 if my doctor is okay with it. I am wearing size 12's and I started at 26/28's. The weight of 170 will be 11 pounds over healthy bmi, so I'm not sure if that will be a goal that he and I can agree on. I'll see when I have my appointment tomorrow.

Good luck attaining your goals.

Saggy, but happy Sue

There is the skin thing to consider, and I dont want to lose any more weight either, for exactly that reason.

But with the age and what you used to weigh when you were 20 issue, again, its a choice but there is absolutely NO physiological reason why you cant weigh at 47 what you did at 20. None at all.

People get heavier as they get older because they get less active and fail to eat less to compensate. Simple as that. You can easily weigh what you did at 20 if you decide you want to. Heck, I weight less at 41 than I did at 16, AND I wasnt even *very* overweight at 16, just slightly over the top of my healthy weight range.

Hi:

I spoke with my surgeon today about setting my goal. I started at 324 pounds, size 26/28. I am now 177 and size 12. I told him that I feel great and that I wanted to be a size 14 or size 12 before I started this journey. I told him that I wanted to know if there was a big difference between being healthy bmi - for me 159 - versus 11 pounds more. He looked at my chart and double-checked my blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar. He said that I'm healthy so it is fine to set my goal for 170. So, I'll be changing my ticker.

Personally, I want to be a size 12 for another reason now that I'm there. If I go to size 10 there will be more loose skin on my lower abdomen and thighs. It will be a very long time before I can have plastic surgery, if I decide to go that route. So, having more loose skin doesn't appeal to me.

Good luck to all of you setting your goals. I'm very happy with mine.

Sue