Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking care of baby post-op

Hello! I am going tobe banded on the 26th and I'm very excited. The only worry I have is if I will be able to take care of my 11 month old very well in the days after the surgery. She is 11 months, 19 lbs., and she cannot get around on her on yet, so I do a lot of carrying. My doc said it is OK to lift up to 20 lbs., but I am more concerned with the bending and twisting that come with taking care of her. Has anyone dealt with taking care of an infant after surgery? Any tips or suggestions on how to reduce the stress of it upon my body? PS- Hubby is watching her the first two days and nights after surgery while I sleep and get the gas out.

Great question.... I am being banded Aug 17th and I, too, have an 11 month old.. I am going to be relying on family to help, but am worried about my almost toddler!!

i have a 1 yr old whos about 24 lbs. I am having my surgery this coming wednesday the 13th. My hubby is gonna be off the first few days after that but my inlaws are gonna come down if i need help. I was told no lifting, pushing pulling of anything over 15 lbs

Great question.... I am being banded Aug 17th and I, too, have an 11 month old.. I am going to be relying on family to help, but am worried about my almost toddler!!

Are you really being banded on a Sunday?

19 pounds is awfully close to the 20 pound mark, not to mention that it is a wriggling ball of energy that you are picking up.

Also, different doctors have different weight limits as well, some say don't lift more than 8 pounds.

It is great that you have help for a couple of days but it seems better if you could have some additional assistance for about a week. Your abdominals will be very sore and your baby will not know to be gentle with you at that age.

If I were in your situation and since it is the tail end of summer, I would have had a niece or nephew come help out. At the ages of 7-10 they would make excellent go-fers, could earn a few bucks and help out their darling aunty in her time of need :0).

If I were in your situation and since it is the tail end of summer, I would have had a niece or nephew come help out. At the ages of 7-10 they would make excellent go-fers, could earn a few bucks and help out their darling aunty in her time of need :0).

Excellent idea, or even a friends younger child in that age range if that worked better.

Oh, I feel for you! Make sure your hubby knows that you need him Every minute of those two days (if not more). I have a 5 month old 18lbs. and a two year old that still likes to crawl up in my lap. Sorry to be so blunt, but it does hurt to bend down (have to bend at the knees to get things off the floor). I'm use to holding my son on my left hip and it will take some time on that side since that's where the port is. Do you have any friends that have college kids that are still in town? I was banded on Friday and stopped my pain killer on Sunday because the gas is what hurts the most. I've heard that walking helps with that, but I feel best when laying in bed and rolling to each side every 30 minutes or so. Sorry to be babbling....good luck and welcome to a whole new you!