Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Trying to decide between GBS and lapband. I need advice! margie

well it's ultimately your decision on which surgery you choose but the reasons i decided with the band is the risk during surgery is less your organs r not being cut which is something permanent God forbid something goes wrong with the band it can be removed the complication after surgery are far greater in gbs there is a chance the staples can open up and you also have the dreaded dumping syndrome associated with gbs now if you want to lose weight fast then Gbs is for you because on the band you will lose weight but not as fast as gbs but with gbs you stomach can stretch out again in a few yrs. and you can regain the weight with the band if you do start to regain you can get a fill to help i would advice you to compare both very carefully cause ultimately it is a life altering decision no matter what you choose if you have a chance buy the book weight loss for dummies it's an excellent book the talks in layman's terms and compares all the types of surgeries available to you i hope this helps and i wish you the best of luck on your decision because no matter what you choose you will be a happier healthier person in the long run. GOOD LUCK

I agree with Choopie, you need to do your homework and decide what is best for you. For me, the morbidity rates for GBS vs. Lap Band was a huge factor 1 in 500 vs. 1 in 2000. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Also, the fact that you can reverse if necessary as well as the food restrictions are less than GBS. Lastly, the whole overall messing with G-D's plan for my body was weird. So that's why I chose lap band.

Find a surgeon who does both and let them weigh out the options with you. Keep asking questions on the boards.... check out www.obesityhelp.com also.

Good luck!

For me, the morbidity rates for GBS vs. Lap Band was a huge factor 1 in 500 vs. 1 in 2000.

OK, I am embarrassed to admit this as I am an English teacher, but I got "morbidity rates" and "mortality rates" confused, and when I read this, I was like WTF! LOL. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into.

As far as your choice, I agree with what everyone else has said. I was speaking to a woman at the seminar I went to, and I asked her why she was choosing the gastric sleeve over banding. She said she had a history of problems with ulcers, and she was concerned that she might have a greater chance of erosion. Other than that, though, I can't think of any reason that I would personally choose GBS over banding. The shorter recovery time is imperative for me, as I have an 11 month-old who won't slow down. But you know what is best fo you, and I hope whichever path you choose, you are healthy and happy very soon.

OK, I am embarrassed to admit this as I am an English teacher, but I got "morbidity rates" and "mortality rates" confused, and when I read this, I was like WTF! LOL. I was wondering what I had gotten myself into.

Actually I meant mortality. My surgeon quoted 1 in 2000 die due to the surgery vs 1 in 500 for GBS.

Please forgive me - I've never really done this kind of messaging before and I am insecure about it.... But I really appreciate all those responses. Another question: what about long term with the band - do people just keep them in for the rest of their lives? I guess so... Will I have to have fills forever or do you get to the point where you have found your "sweet spot" and don't need to change it? I live far from the doctor and hospital where they will do the work, so Im worried about making that trip (it's 1 1/2 hours - fine for now but what about when I'm 85? lol)

Please forgive me - I've never really done this kind of messaging before and I am insecure about it.... But I really appreciate all those responses. Another question: what about long term with the band - do people just keep them in for the rest of their lives? I guess so... Will I have to have fills forever or do you get to the point where you have found your "sweet spot" and don't need to change it? I live far from the doctor and hospital where they will do the work, so Im worried about making that trip (it's 1 1/2 hours - fine for now but what about when I'm 85? lol)

well there is no very long term study how long the band last but according to the Drs. and books i have read it should stay in you for ever i have even seen patients who "ate around the band" have a gbs and the surgeon does not remove the band as for fills the 1st year will be the toughest that is when u will need the most fills after that it should be around twice a yr including a yearly esophogram and blood work but the only way i c the band having to be removed is due to any complication that might arise but dont fret when u see the weight coming off u wont mind the 1 1/2 hr trip lol Good luck

I chose the band because a lot can happen in a life time.If I get sick & need to gain weight I don't want to struggle,to get nutrition I also know that as I age I may change physically I may have a problem gaining so I chose the band because it can be emptied & not necessarily removed.I have had a lot of friends with cancer & they are always saying they need to bulk up before chemo I just want the option of gaining if I need to.Kinda like younger women who would like good nutrition during pregnancy.just something to think about.

choochie:cool:

I became interested in lapband a year or so ago when I saw the ads. I felt that the bypass was just not right for me, but this seemed plausible. But when I raised the issue in a support group online, the leader of the group "leveled" me, saying that she would NEVER recommend the band unless the person was very young, had little weight to lose and had not been fat very long. She continued that it could erode into the stomach and cause problems. Lots of people end up having GBS anyway. SO! She totally intimidated me. When I finally got to see the surgeon (3 weeks ago) he said I am a good candidate for either one. Tell me about the AGE thing. Am I (at 61) too old? I am seeing lots of people losing LOTS of weight here so I pretty much am discounting what she said. Opinions?

margie

I became interested in lapband a year or so ago when I saw the ads. I felt that the bypass was just not right for me, but this seemed plausible. But when I raised the issue in a support group online, the leader of the group "leveled" me, saying that she would NEVER recommend the band unless the person was very young, had little weight to lose and had not been fat very long. She continued that it could erode into the stomach and cause problems. Lots of people end up having GBS anyway. SO! She totally intimidated me. When I finally got to see the surgeon (3 weeks ago) he said I am a good candidate for either one. Tell me about the AGE thing. Am I (at 61) too old? I am seeing lots of people losing LOTS of weight here so I pretty much am discounting what she said. Opinions?

margie

when i had surgery the majority of the people who had it were much older then me i actually think it would be better to have the band when you r older because no matter what, surgery has some risks but with the band the risk are much less before, during and after surgery. the risk with gbs are high especially during anesthesia and also remember the band is reversible if you have a problem were as the gbs is permanent of course with gbs you will lose the weight faster but as you age the stomach can stretch and you can possibly gain weight but if you do gain some weight with the band you can get an adjustment and get back on track of course please b aware that the band is not a cure you have to put your part in it some form of exercise and watching what you eat you fill up much faster with the band but its easy to fill up on "bad foods" for example you can fill up on french fries and a milkshake which of course will not help you lose weight were as you can broil 2 ounces of salmon and some vegetables have the Protein you need and feel much fuller. Good luck on your decision and remember no matter which one you choose you will you will have great results and its like starting a new life again let us know what you decided and remember we are here for you!!!

I chose the band over the bypass because the surgery is less invasive and recovery time is shorter. I've known a few people who got the bypass and had minor complications that put them in the hospital for several days. I don't have that much time off from work available in addition to the surgery. I've so far just had an initial seminar and have put the insurance wheels in motion. I also like that the procedure is reversible if need be.

margie

Ok, that makes me mad. I can't believe "she" whomever she is would say that about the band. Here's some advice. First, people who have had other forms of weight loss surgery are very protective of their type of surgery. There are wars between lap banders and GBS'ers on every message board I participate in. So keep in mind, she's probably not a lap bander.

Second, be careful of what you hear on these boards. The people that post (me included) for the most part are not medical professionals, we are people with opinions which may or may not agree with yours. I can speak about what my choice was and I would NEVER tell you what is right for you. Whomever that person was should not be giving you anything but information for you to make a sound choice (and preferably quoting facts from a proof source).

I went to support group the other night and I will tell you that at 45, I was at the bottom of the age range. Most of the 30+ people there were banders and older than I am. Everything she told you is contrary to what I have been told BY MY SURGEON. So that's the guy I listen to. Not someone on a message board.

Sorry, my blood is boiling. :tongue_smilie: Like I said in my earlier post, do your homework and make the right choice for you. It sounds like you're in the process of doing just that!

Lauren

Yep! My blood has been boiling too - for months I have listened to her dis the band. She is SO invested in her surgery and the power that she has over her loyal band of followers...!!! Today I unsubscribed from that group - overdue! Thanks.

I like the ability to decide how much to lose .I like not having to crush vitamins.I like having the ability to remove it if necessary.My regular dr. is constantly telling me how much faster gbs is.I Am not doing this to be a beauty queen I 'm doing this because I am morbidly obese.I have taken care of everyone around me it is time for me to take care of me.I want the slower route I want to learn how to use this as a tool to keep my weight off .I think the quick fix would fail me without the time to adjust to my new eating habits. Everyone who has gbs that I know personally tells me banding will be a mistake. I actually attended a cook-out last weekend where the hostess upon hearing I'm going to try getting banded said to me " Oh My God didn't a girl die from that" My reply was" probably people can die from any operation."the choice belongs to you what your comfortable with ;My friends with gbs some of them didn't have a choice it was the only thing available.I am going to be fifty years old I don't think this is just for younger people .:)