Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blurry Vision?

Hi All, I can't believe it, but I got banded on Aug. 7. I was lucky in that I was the first surgery of the day, but I had to get there at 5:30 am :lol: Anyway, was a little nauseous when I woke up, but was so glad it went away. All the staff was great. I can't say the surgery was very much fun, though. I'm feeling kind of icky. I haven't been sleeping well, and last night my CPAP machine wouldn't seal to my face right. Aargh! My stomach is churning, churning. My incisions were glued shut, and couple of them started bleeding the first night home. I'm a little worried about them. Dr. said just to put a bandaid on them. I was also bringing up a lot of phlegm, which makes my worry about my lungs. I've got some gas too, I think. The strangest thing was the morning after the surgery, I found that I was suddenly far-sighted. This isn't what my vision is usually like. I can't seem to focus on anything close up. My optometrist said it could be the residual effects of anaesthesia, and my eye muscles are sleepy or something. I'm still having this problem today. It's really disconcerting. I'm sick of Protein Drinks. So much sweetness. but I feel like I've dropped a ton of Water and have to watch my hydration. Very much looking forward to cottage cheese, yogurt, refrieds, and eggs. I would take some more oxycodone, but I think that's not going to help my eyes wake up. Sigh. My problem is that I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and I'm alarmed at every twinge. Wish me luck! Can't wait to be more healed.

Hi.. I was banded on Aug.1st and had the same problem with my vision.. But on my last two surgery's I had the same thing... It is a result of the anesthesia I was told... It will get better... Or look at it as a look in the future of aging... the first is the up close things....you need longer armes...:lol:

I will have surgery Aug. 21 and I too use a CPAP machine. Did you take this to surgery with you? The papers I brought home says to bring it, but with all the monitors I do not see it as mandatory. What did you take with you? Thanks and good luck as you continue to heal. God Bless.

I did bring the CPAP and left it in the car just in case they kept me overnight. I didn't need it though. You should bring it just in case. I also brought my book and my iPhone. I didn't use the iPhone (I have crossword puzzles on it) but I did read a little while while I was in recovery. I also brought my toothbrush and toothpaste, but since I didn't stay overnight, I didn't need it.

I brought my wallet, too; I had $1000 out of pocket before insurance kicked in, and I was able to pay when I checked in. They didn't need my insurance card, but I brought it and my driver's license in case.

Don't worry about your eyesight. I had the exact same thing(couldn't see the tv worth a damn). My husband had gastric surgery two months before my band and went through the exact same thing and then after a week or so his vision returned to normal. So I talked to my doctor on my post op visit as I wanted to get an eyeglass change but because my husbands vision cleared I asked him if could be a side effect of surgery. He just smiled and said it happens all the time and will correct it self. Do not go making any changes on your prescription. Darn if he wasn't right. With in a week or so I started to notice I could see better. My vision is back to completely normal. The worst part was thinking I was going blind. It helped that my husband had experienced the same thing.

:lol: One week into my Pre-Surgery Diet of Protein drinks, my vision got blurry. I was hoping that my vision would return to normal after the surgery. I hope my vision does NOT get any more blurry - I won't be able to see! I hate this, I'm having a hard reading and watching TV. :thumbup:

I would go see a doctor. You might have something else going on. All vision changes I have heard about are all after surgery probably related to anesthesia. I know blurry vision can be caused by a lot of things one being diabetes. I wouldn't ignore.

My nurse said the blurry vision is due to the anti-nausea patch behind my ear. Sure enough, when I looked at the pharmacy info, that's one of the main side effects. Also, I looked in the mirror and could tell my eyes are dilated. In the meantime, I am wearing 2x magnifying lenses over my regular astigmatism glasses. Looks ridiculous!