Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lifting/work restriction after banding?

I am going to be banded on Sept 12 at Great Lakes Weight Loss in Detroit, MI. I was wondering if anyone knows what the typical work/lifting restrictions are? I work at a chemical company in Michigan and have a very physically demanding job, typically lifting 50lbs repeatedly everyday, on/off forktrucks, lots of stairs, bending and twisting. I also have a 33lbs 2 year old that I'm kind of leary about how I'm going to deal with him post op also. Any suggestions or help would be great! I'm getting very excited....

I am getting my surgery at Great Lakes August 18th. Who is doing your surgery? Dr Laker doing mine. I want to say about four to six weeks depending how you heal.

I was banded on July 25. My doctor and the paper he sent home said no more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. some docs may say different but those were my instructions.

Hi, I work at a warehouse receiving merchandise. I also do alot of lifting, forklift operation, walking, bending and twisting. We need to be able to lift 50-75 pounds also. They told me I couldn't lift over 20 pounds for 2 weeks. I took 4 weeks of sick leave and then another week afterwards of vacation time. I wanted to be 100% ready to go back to work. Plus I couldn't think of a better way to not have to work in the NON-AIR CONDITIONING of my job during the hottest time of the year. Oh darn, what a shame!:laugh:My first day back in Sept. 2.

No more than 20 lbs was my restriction

I am scheduled for Sept 12 with Dr Webber. I tried to get in on August 22, but shannon said the doctor was off that day. I was hoping to move it up some. Must you have someone to drive you home I wonder? I will only have a 23 hour stay, and if my husband takes me, is he allowed to stay the night?

:wink2:My doctor told me no more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks, so I took 4 weeks off of work, and took it easy the last two weeks, because I also have a VERY physically demanding job (i'm a maintenance tech). Honestly, at first I was under the impression that this surgery was gonna be a piece-o-cake and I thought I'd be able to go back to work in about a week, boy am I glad I got that time off... I wasn't even feeling 100% until after 3 weeks!! Plus I was self-pay, so I couldn't afford to do any damage to myself

i work in a sewage treatment plant and manage a pizza shop ive been blessed to heal quickly my whole life i was operated on 7/31 and returned to both jobs 8/11 i carry routinely 24 inch pipe wrenches and large tools and work on alot of large pumps and piping average size is about 8 inch pipe then i work the pizza shop 3 times a week where im standing for 6-7 hours a night twisting and turning and i feel really good the first few days fatigue was a factor but everything was tight and pain free

I can tell you, judging from my one day out, you WON'T want to do any lifting right away. I can hardly bend over or lift anything. My doc said 6 weeks.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the typical work/lifting restrictions are? I work at a chemical company in Michigan and have a very physically demanding job, typically lifting 50lbs repeatedly everyday, on/off forktrucks, lots of stairs, bending and twisting.

I'm so glad someone else has this problem... I'm a firefighter paramedic, and lifting 300 pound patients and dragging water-logged hoselines is an everyday thing...

To add insult to injury, if I'm out for more than a week for medical reasons, I'm required to go on short-term disability, which only pays me 65 percent of my salary, sigh....

Audrey