Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I'm trying not to be upset or too hard on myself. I got banded on the 29th of July, I've been feeling pretty good. Trying very hard to be good on my diet, only eating what I'm supposed to. But yesterday my husband and son came home with cookie dough (raw) and sat and ate it like that, well, of course I just HAD to have it too. I only had a little and half expected to get sick from it, but no, nothing! I knew I wouldn't be dumping or anything, but I guess I was thinking I would throw it up. I don't know. I've been losing steadily. But I'm starting to get the cravings. I'm poring my heart out here in hopes that someone else out here has gone thru the same stuff and can offer some advise.

The pre-opt and the post-opt diet has been the hardest part for me until I got to mushies. Everyone falls off or has weak moments. But that was inconsiderate of your husband to let that go on in your house knowing your situation. They couldn't have done it outside of the house? You just had a very expensive elective surgery done. And if your insurance paid, lots of people are going to face a raise hike next year so ones like us could have this surgery. We owe it to ourselves, and to who we effect to do our best. You can get right back on track.

I don't want to ban certain foods, even though I know no one needs them just because I can't have them. My son (11) is always whining for the stupid cookie dough, my daughter even made some from scratch (didn't turn out good) so he could have some.

My point is I'm so scared I'm going to "break" the band or port by eating something I'm not supposed to. I even read on here that someone ate a taco from taco bell ! that would scare me to death.

From what I hear, it would take a lot more than that and it's harder to do any damage before a fill. I was banded on July 10 and got my first fill yesterday. The past two weeks have been very hard because I got my appetite back while on vacation. I quickly found out I could eat just about anything...not as much as before surgery, but still more than I knew I should be eating. I never spit up or got sick at all. From reserach I've done, that's pretty normal for "before fill". I did manage to gain 3 pounds during that week's vacation, but have gone back to the plan this week and already lost that 3 pounds.

I ate a couple of bites of things about week two or three that weren't really on the approved list, but I just made sure I chewed really well and ate only a bite or two.

I have two teenage sons that have also added to my difficulty. They don't need to lose weight and it's impossible not to have food for them in the house. Cooking for them before I could eat "real food" again was very, very hard. It's amazing how many times I had a bite in my hand, headed for my mouth out of pure habit! Tuesday is my son's 21st birthday and we have three dinner parties planned to celebrate! I know it's going to be hard, but I have just planned in advance what I'm going to eat and will keep reminding myself that I have to do this. Tomorrow is going to be the toughest...his girlfriend's family is having a cook out (ribs!!!!) and I am still on mushies after my fill yesterday. I'll just take a sweet potato to bake and maybe some SF pudding.

If you have a sweet tooth like me, try the Popsicle brand sugar free popsicles. They are my lifesaver.

Best of luck!

Don't be to hard on yourself you only tasted it and didn't eat all of it. I had a very bad day yesterday.But that was yesterday today a new day and i"m back on track so make sure your back to good eating habit today as well.

My doctor says when you get to normal food to each anything you want--only small amounts and chew real well and don't drink when you eat. You don;t want to stay on mushie, soft things--you have to use the band for the right reasons and that is as a tool. You don't want to eat "around" the band so you can eat more than you should.

Well, I know every doctor is different but that sure isn't what mine said. In fact, he said if you go back to eating the wrong foods, even in small amounts, you won't lose much at all after a while. I've read in a couple of places that the majority of people only lose like 40% of their "excess" weight. I would imagine that's because they eat the wrong foods. My doctor told me to eat lean meat and vegetables and stay away from breads, potatoes, Pasta, anything fried....basically eat the way we've always known we should be eating. He did say that it's ok to splurge once in a while, but you can't eat "normal" and lose.

I was on vacation last week and it was that week before my first fill and I was hungrier than I had been. I ate more normal foods, but in very small portions and gained 3 pounds! Since I've been back home, I've been back on my "plan" and lost that 3 pounds already. I got my first fill yesterday and am very excited with how full I am on just liquids! The nurse said it would probably be Monday, when I'm back on solids before I really noticed it, but I have had one 4 oz. Protein drink, Water and 1/2 cup of Tomato Soup all day and feel very full. I wish it felt like this all the time!

Mommymj1,

You are going to have days like that. Days you totally get off track. The main point is not to have tooooooooo many days like that. I have had those days myself (my weakness chips and chocolate). But I have to say that the band has limited my craving so much. When I do eat these, I am only able to eat very, very little.

Not enough to make a difference, (I have great restriction after only 2 fills) it slows down my weight loss very little. With in a few days after that I lose quite a bit.

The point is when you see yourself getting off track, the next day get right back on track with a vengence!!!!!

So you made a mistake...............we all do. Pick up your feet, dust them off, and keep pushing forward.

Don't beat yourself up, however if you are already eating foods you know you shouldn't this early into your band you are going to have to get out of that cycle quickly. I was banded last August 11, so it has been about one year. I have lost about 65 pounds, but over the past few months I have gotten into the very bad habit of eating sweets in place of "good" food. It is a hard cycle to get out of because I don't gain, but yet still have my sweet foods, just not as much. That makes me say "hey, this is great. I am losing/staying the same while eating ice cream". But its not good. All I am saying is, keep telling yourself "I have a small stomach and can't eat a lot, so I need to eat my Proteins, veggies, etc." Sure, have the cookie dough if you have to......a small spoonful once per month. Hang in there, the band was the best decision you could have made!

I agree I think it was mean of them to do that to you. They do know that it is not healthy to eat right? If they do not already have a weight problem that is a good way to start. I know been there done that!

Hey all, thanks for the encouraging words. Today was MUCH better, I ate all the right things, grilled chicken, my Protein Shake, a 1/4 cup of whole wheat Pasta and some broc and cheese. Not too bad, the only sweet thing I had was ONE sugar free thing of pudding. Doing better on the Water intake. And I took my walk tonight and went farther than I have before. :thumbup:

Good for you! Great way to bounce back!!!

they are my life savers too girl! They taste delicious..but, is any one getting chills often after benig 4 days away from your actual surgery date and getting the runs like never before?