Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low protein = Low weight loss?

The first 80 pounds came off like a breeze compared to pre-band diets.... (I was lucky with that! I know!)

But then all the sudden I can barely lose at all. I'm currently losing less than 1 pound per week now (some weeks a lot less) and I've ramped up exercising a whole lot in the past month and a half...

My current exercise is:

• 1-2 hours of continuous tennis with my roommate every 2 days at night

• Full-body exerciser thing in the living room for about 15 minutes on the non-tennis days (you push with your legs and pull with your arms... sort of rowing maybe?)
  • Most non-tennis days I do about 35 reps of 8lb weights in various positions and directions to help maintain muscle tone in my arms
  • Nightly squats while brushing teeth (hillarious if you think about it), about 40 right now nightly

I get hungry about every 3-4 hours. My calorie intake hovers around 800, ranging from 700-1000. I try to throw Fiber filled alternatives to things where I can and I add benefiber to things occasionally.

I take a Multivitamin daily, and an extra multivitamin every other day (Centrum chewables), Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and B12 sublingual.< /p>

I TRY to get Calcium... I hate all the sources of it though so this has been really really hard for me. I eat the calcium chews sometimes but they have like 30 cals each so it's hard to make myself do that. I have Calcium powder I add to Protein Drinks, and some nasty nasty chewable crunchy eggshell things that are high in calcium. I know I'm not getting as much calcium as I should though.

Protein is low though; I know, although not sure how much. I ate lots and lots of Protein shakes and meat for a while and got really tired of it. I've been slowly integrating more carbs into my meals... not intentionally but they have been sneaking in. Although I've kept calories in check during this sneak-in, weight loss has stopped.

I'm getting around 50g protein. Muscle mass seems to be holding- although perhaps not increasing much?, and I don't notice any Hair loss. I used to get a ton more protein. My doctor's nutritionist said 120g protein which seems super high... but maybe that's best? I don't know how I could get THAT much though... I don't think I've seen anyone on here say that much was recommended to them. I'm 5'10" and male.

With this diet, and calorie intake, would low protein cause such a halting of weight loss? Is it possible that my exercise routines are gaining me muscle that makes my weight loss slow down? I've been through the nutrition briefings, read the forum, and even took a college level nutrition class, and this stuff is all so confusing. So many variables. It's always calories in vs calories out but I know that basal metabolism can plummet if things aren't in proper order.

I know I need to increase protein either way, but it would be great to know if this is what is causing my the hell of stunned weight loss. It's been so frustrating to eat small but proper portion sizes, and exercise a ton, and see no movement. I really could drop all the exercising and eat more and not gain so it's becoming REALLY hard to stick with this, although I'm determined to budge the scale!

I could go in a for a little fill to get me back down to eating half a cup (I'm around 3/4th cup right now) but that feels like a bandaid solution to a bigger problem at this point. Before I went in for fills before I really felt like I was eating TOO MUCH, TOO OFTEN.... right now it's just not that extreme. I want to get to losing how I SHOULD be at my current intake before jumping back on a higher restriction. More fill right now also might cause less loss due to increase restriction of whatever I'm lacking, if I am.

Sorry for such a long post. Even posting this I'm thinking it's probably the protein, I just would love some more input and advice. It's good to hear it from others as well. Next time I go to the store I need to stick to meat and veggies else I be tempted by the carb demons!

I would say it is a protien problem Have you tried to call your doc office and take to the dietian tehre?

I was banded in June 07 I have had times when my weight lose stopped because my cal was to low

I was told that I had to net 1000 cal a day that is after my exerce and so forth They said if I do my exerciseing I need to eat 1500 cal per day and a min of 60-80 protien a day

I would try to raise your cal a little bit and try to get more protien in.

If I get less than 65 g protien I can tell right away

Good luck It may take some time to get your body back in line I was told up to two weeks to start seeing the weight moving again.

I fight with this often

also I just noticed you said you are 5 10 and male you may be close to your ideal weight that may be also why you may need to just maintain

Personally, I wouldnt eat less than what you are. I'm 5t 10 and female and I couldnt survivie on 1000 calories a day or less. I think you're probably undereating.

Protein, I dont know. I eat about 50 grams a day and dont focus on it like you guys are told to do, I eat carbs and I lost 120% of my "excess weight" but I've certainly been able to lose the last 5kg I'd like to.

I think you just get to a point where weight loss is soooooo slow and virtually impossible. I would try eating a bit more, and see what happens.

But it did take me a year to lose the last 10lb that I lost. It just got really really slow and then petered out into maintenance.

I am giving random thoughts, since I am not banded yet but.....

1. you may be close to your ideal weight- do a look in the mirror, go shopping for some new clothes and see where you REALLY are, etc. Heck! 34 is amazing for a man's pant size!

2. I learned this a long time ago and it really has stuck with me....protein with EVERY meal- even if it is just 2 oz of cheese, chicken, etc. along with some green veggies. (didn't you say your Calcium was down?) I have been dairy allergic for years, and a couple months ago my calcium was tested, and it was near the high end of the range. I eat TONS of green veggies (very high in calcium), along with other high calcium foods (google a list). the list I just got from the nutritionist says 60 g of Protein a day, so I would aim for higher than that if you are a man!

3. I would say your portions look good, but you might try to add a small snack once or twice a day to get a couple more calories (being a guy you need a bit more). people have found eating more calories for a few days, then going back to regular meals will fool the body out of starvation mode and get you back to losing weight.

just my 2 cents

Personally, I wouldnt eat less than what you are. I'm 5t 10 and female and I couldnt survivie on 1000 calories a day or less. I think you're probably undereating.

happen to agree, you probably aren't eating that much. i'm a shorty (5'1) and i won't lose if i go below 1100 calories per day - but that's also not to say that the closer to goal ... the SLOWER the weight seems to be coming off.

i also eat more balanced, including carbs - rather than focus on the Protein component each day.., i probably avg 50-60 grms most days.

**a thought** - change up your diet & exercise to shock the body some?? maybe it's gotten use to the same old same old & a new routine might be the trick? worth a shot...