Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband vs. Realize Band..which one?

I know this is really short notice but I have my pre-op appt. at 11am tomorrow(Aug 8) and have to let them know whether I want the Lapband, Lapband AP or the Realize band. Anyone else had to make this choice? If so, which did you choose and why? They seem to both have their own pros & cons and i'm kind of stuck as far as which one to choose. :)

Thanks!!!

Congradulations!!!! I didn't have a choice, my surgeon makes that determination during surgery as to what band to place....I have the lapband APL which from what I understand is the newer lapband, there is a APS but my bmi determined use of the large one.

I think weight loss success depends alot on the individual more so than than which band, how well they adhere to the "band rules" and surgeons rules.

The Realize band has a support website, but between the My food Diary website, this website and the OH website I have all the support I need.

I am just so happy to have A band......I don't think it would matter which one..... although I am glad I have the AP.

Good luck, let us know how you made out

I am planning to go with the Realize band. I think they are both very very similar, but have just a few differences. The Realize band is supposed to have less slippage and PB occurances, b/c it has a little more "give" in the band. Also, the port clamps into your muscle, whereas the LB is sutured...it is suppose to cause less port flipping. And of course the Realize band has the support software..which I am sure LapBand is soon to follow with that. Like I said, slight differences, but my surgeon thought they sounded worth it. Good luck!

Amy

i didn't have a choice. during my consultation, my surgeon told me he would probably use the Realize band but for whatever reason decided to use the Lap-Band. he doesn't decide until he's inside and can see what's the best fit.

so far it seems to be working just fine!

I went with the Realize band, it was what my surgeon recommended. Their website is great as a support tool. I did look at both and was leaning toward the Realize, so it worked out.

i had my surgery 3 days ago and didnt know what to do either. the dr would not give his opinion. we went with the lapband because dh is in the med device industry and like to design better. whatever, i really dont know though. oh he also was gla dthat there was so much data available on the lapband.

My husband's doctor only uses the Realize Band - thinks it is the best - has done 3,000 surgeries most were Lap Band until the Realize Band was FDA Approved and he switched to it 100%. I have the Realize Band because I looked at them both, held them in my hand, saw the clamping mechanism on the Realize Band as opposed to having sutures, port is flatter and it has less port flip issues because it clamps on. Hope this helps.

well the clamping thing may have to due with why i am in so much pain. i had the lapband with a lot of sutures and have had horrible port pain. my friend that had the realize was perfectly fine minimal pain. i did not honestly look into that much. dr told me they were equal and i didnt question it.

My surgeon did say, there is less discomfort near the port, after surgery with the Realize band for that reason. I guess that makes sense too.

I have the realize band and I had HORRIBLE pain. I don't think it had anything to do with what band I got just how my body reacted to the surgery itself.

I am two months post-op and still have tenderness in my port area from time to time.

I picked the realize band. My doc uses both, said she had no preference. I liked the web tools it comes with and the fact that is is a 10 cc band.

Hello Everyone, I'm just about finished with all my test, meet with my surgeon Aug 5th for the surgery date, I don't have a high BMI but the sleep doctor wrote up my mild apnea and I have high cholesterol, my question is, which band is best and how long will I have to be out of work? I was hoping to do a surgery on a Thursday and be back to work by Monday, is that possible? I work in an office sitting most of the day, physicially I work out 3 x a week, trying to gage the pain, discomfort etc.....any help would be appreciated, thanks so much

They work the same way. The differences aren't too great.

The Realize port is shorter and attaches by crimping to the muscle while the Lap Band port it stitched into place.

The Lap Band comes in 10cc and 14cc, while the Realize band comes only in 9cc. The surgeon would choose between the two Lap Bands based on anatomy.

The Lap Band has sort of a scalloped shape so that not 100% of its surface comes into contact with your stomach. Supposed to help prevent erosion, though I've read absolutely no statistics about that. The Realize band is smooth.

The Lap Band, when filled, maintains its round shape but the Realize Band inflates to create more of a triangle shaped opening. Don't know that it makes a difference.

There is a comparison of the two products on this website. I think the link is on the main page.