Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Screwed up - need aftercare doctor in Michigan

Well, I sure screwed up. I did a ton of research on the procedure but neglected to research a local aftercare facility or doctor. Had the surgery done in Mexico on Thursday and now have a slight problem with my incision that needs looking after. Does anyone know of a Michigan doctor that will perform aftercare if you've had the surgery done in Mexico, preferrably in Grand Rapids or Holland?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris, I don't know any Mich docs but wanted to throw a hello your way since I had the same problem. What is your incision problem? Mine started leaking a week after surgery like a faucet and never stopped. Soon the area became infected. Leaking can be quite normal as long as the area stays infection free. What is your wound doing?

Mine too, started leaking 6 days after surgery. It's like a watery blood. It's not a lot but it stings too. That's the worst part of it. I spoke to the doctor that did the surgery and he suggested I have it looked at to make sure it wasn't infected. So I went to an urgent care place last night, got yelled at for not having a doctor lined up and was prescribed some antibotics. The nurse put a bandage on it and said it didn't look infected.

How long did your wound leak? What did you do once it started? How bad is it if it gets infected? Mine is not tender to touch just the stinging is bugging the heck out of me. I'm such a baby when it comes to stuff like this :( Thanks for the welcome and response. I feel better knowing someone else has gone through this too.

Chris

The burning doesn't sound so good. Is it red, warm, foul odor? Now that I know you're leaking, I can tell you a lot more. First, don't trust or listen to anything anybody tells you unless they are a qualified band surgeon. I went to urgent care several times (I even showed my vet because nobody else could help me.) I'm in Vegas and don't have a local band doc. The reason a regular doctor can't help you is because you have an implant, and the tubing so near the surface of the skin might be what's preventing your incision to close. A regular doctor probably won't know that.

The liquid collects inside the new cavity and needs to escape. If there's too much liquid, it comes out the incision, but eventually the incision is supposed to close and your body will eliminate any residual Fluid. But the stuff needs to escape, so you can't force the wound to close. I tried everything including (don't laugh) a blow dryer, driving in a sports bra on the highway with all the windows open, laying in the blazing summer sun, liquid bandages... you name it, I tried getting the thing to stop leaking. But it needs to drain. If it closes before it's ready, then it will just have to burst open again so it can drain more. Mine closed and burst open several times and got so bad at one point that Urgent Care had to lance it open. Keep the wound clean and change the bandages often to keep the rest of the area as dry as possible.

Meanwhile, while you are currently taking antibiotics, you still need to contact your band surgeon. Let's hope you have a normal leak (this is called a weeping wound.) My leaking was the sign of infection to come. (Don't get too worried cause others leaked and soon closed with no further problem.) My story was worse because my leaking was the sign of infection, and I had to get my port removed. Once the port becomes infected, not even antibiotics can help. Read that line again: Once the port becomes infected the only option is port removal. I had to get my port removed a month after surgery. Then my wound STILL wouldn't close because they kept the tubing too near the surface of the wound. I've had two ports, and both of them leaked, and both have been removed. I'm currently portless.

Please keep a very keen eye on that area. The antibiotics might be okay to fight off any new infection, but I wouldn't trust anybody but a band surgeon at this point. Take the time to call your sugeon and tell him you're on antibiotics to be on the safe side. Wishing you the best.

I forgot to mention that a weeping wound happens with any type of surgery. My friend had a major breast reduction and leaked for 8 weeks. I leaked for 8 months. First, the original port got infected so they removed it. Then I got a new port, but they put the port in the same old infected wound, so that 2nd port got infected, too. I had the 2nd one removed in January. I need a new port, but $$$ is an issue since I'm still paying off all these complications.

Holy smokes! You've certainly had enough stuff happen already! Thank you very much for the information. No, the incision is not red, hot or smelling bad. If I sit down and then stand it burns. After walking around for a little bit it will quit, until I sit down again and then stand up. But it burns/stings bad when I stand up so I bend over somewhat. Did you put anything on the incision before you rebandaged it? I put Neosporin on it but the urgent care doctor said not to, that he would put different stuff on it. But he didn't give me anything to bring home. I'm not feverish or nauseated just alittle frustrated. Thanks again

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have talked with Dr. Pleatman's office in Bloomfield Hills and they will provide aftercare for patients who have had surgery anywhere. None of the Grand Rapids doctors would as they have little experience. I truly appreciate all of your information. I'm on the way to recovery and feeling great!

Chris

I have talked with Dr. Pleatman's office in Bloomfield Hills and they will provide aftercare for patients who have had surgery anywhere.

Great news!