Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to ST. Mary's next week to get started

I am going to St. Mary's next week to see about the whole process. I have to do my six months :thumbup:. A friend of mine said her mother went there and they were very helpful with all the 6 month appts and psch appt and just the entire process. I will be paying a lot of of pocket due to my insurance so maybe the six months is a good thing. Currently I have a 40 BMI and I cannot have lower than 35 for the surgery. Can anyone tell me about the six month process and what to expect. I am tired of being overweight and I am ready to take the step. I lost 25 pounds last year and gained over 35 back. I am 37 and want to enjoy life and time with my kids and just feel healthy again. I would do this tommorow if I could pay it all out of pocket. I just wish I had insurance like some of you guys do that pays it all, I would even go work somewhere part time just for the insurance if they covered it.

Hi Toribug--

Just checking in and I saw your post. I went thru St Mary's and I can't say enough positive things about that whole group. Be sure to talk to the girls in the bariatric office--Lana and Debbie are just great!! Debbie has had the surgery herself (although I never would have guessed it when I met her), and she can answer a lot of your questions from personal experience. If you are going to be a self-pay patient, the process will be pretty quick. I had my first appointment with Dr. Lusco and my surgery was less than a month later. It was a blur--and would have probably been quicker but I wanted to have the surgery during my vacation last November. I told them that, and they scheduled the pre-op testing on a Friday, then I had my follow up with Dr. Lusco 3 days later on Monday, started the pre-surgery liquid diet the next day, and had my surgery a week later on Tuesday, November 13th. I went back to work the following Monday. That was over 100 lbs. ago and I have absolutely no regrets. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!! :lol:

You can probably save a lot of dollars by going somewhere else for your 6 month weight program. And, if you have insurance, you can save program fees and a lot more by going somewhere else in the Louisville area. I found one that saves a lot of money and has a really good program and doctor. Saved me $300 right up front with no program fee. They have a toll-free number. 1-888-744-4898.

I also am going to Sts Mary Elizabeth. Dr. Schuster. terri called today and told me that my insurance, antham BCBS of mich. I didn't need a six month structured diet plan to have surgery so I am going to get to have my surgery sooner than expected.

Hi, Ritalou!

I'm due for my surgery next week, June 24! I'm excited. . . and already bored with the liquid pre-op diet!

I spent 20 minutes in Dr. Olsofka's office trying to talk him into letting me do a low carb/low fat/high Protein Atkins diet instead!

:thumbup:

He wasn't buying any of it!

:)

Hope everything with your surgery went well!! Dr Lusco did my surgery May 28 2008. I can't say enought about that group of Doctors or the St Mary's Bariatric team! Good luck with the band. I've lost 93lbs, this was the best decision I have ever made!!!!

I also had Dr. Lusco. He is great! The whole group is great. You should definitly attend the meetings they have once a month. They really helped me. I would still be going if my life was not so crazy.

I am a slow loser...but I am still losing. I have a hard time seeing how much I have lost...except when on the scale. :)

I didnt have to do the 6 month thing I was lucky. And I feel really lucky to have gotten in with the great group at St Mary's They really helped me when I freaked out about some of the little things lol