Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just some simple questions!!

I got the band on 8/1 and wow I did not think it would be this painful!!! OMG, it hurts so bad to sit up when laying down!! It is getting better though. I also did not realize I would have 5 scars from this, but I guess it will be well worth it. I went back to work Monday, so only had Sat and Sun to recoop!! So far I have triend to eat gritts and sugar free jello!! Can anyone give me some advice about what else to try??? I go back to the doctor tomorrow... Anyways, I am so excited to join with all of you, I have been reading for a while... One more thing, how long did it take everyone to really start loosing?

Edited by ProudMommy

Guest Leslie2Lose

Hi! Congratulations of the first step to a healthier you. The pain does get better. It took me over a week to start feeling like myself.

As for the scars - after a while they are barely noticable. As I started losing mine got smaller. I think because of shrinking skin. I have one that is maybe a half an inch long - the others about the same size. I don't even notice them...better than the rolls of fat I used to have on my stomach.

For food - I loved and still love refried Beans. I melt a little low fat cheese with them. Really good for the mushies phase. I also like the Dark chocolate sugar free pudding - yummy! Mashed potatoes are good too for some flavor - though high in carbs (I still eat them in moderation). Watch out for scrambled eggs - they tend to stick. Soups are good too. I loved egg drop Soup the first couple of weeks after surgery. I make a chicken salad with spinach dip (the 50 cal serving). Use canned chicken and mix with a tablespoon or two of the dip and puree. Lots of Protein and has great flavor.

As for losing - I lost a lot pre-surgery and the first two weeks following surgery. Don't be surprised if you gain when you start eating regular foods again. Your body has to adjust.

If you are not measuring yourself, start. It is a great booster when the scale isn't moving. You can at least see that you are losing inches and hopefully muscle. I started losing again three months after surgery. I lose sporatically - so its not consistant. Others have different results. We all of different body types and metabolism.

I also log my food daily at thedailyplate.com They have a wide variety of foods to chose from and it lets you keep up with your protein. Very important.

Another key point for me is the exercise. It makes me feel so much better after I work out - I actually look forward to it most days. I've never been one for working out, so it is a pleasant surprise. Some people don't exercise, but I think it is a great way to tone and add muscle. After all muscle burns more than fat.

If you have any questions, please ask away. You can PM me too if you wish.

Edited by Leslie2Lose

Thank you Leslie!! You helped me alot!! So when did you start eating the refried Beans? ? That actually sounds great! Another thing is, my doctor said I should have 5 2-3oz mines a day, however all I eat now is one pack of gritts and a jello... I am just not hungry! When did you get your band?

Guest Leslie2Lose

I was banded back in April. Ask your doctor when you can move on to Mushies. Mine moved me at week 3 (refried bean stage)...every doctor is different. My hunger really returned week 3 - by week 4 I was wanting something crunchy so bad. I wasn't on normal foods until six weeks after surgery. Remember right now is a time to heal, which is why your diet is restricted. It's hard. I hated liquid hell and mushie hell - as I fondly recall them. It is worth it though!

Proud Mommy, hi, I'm Ida Kay and I was banded on July 3rd. I also could not lye down in bed for aleast a week, than it got better and now I can sleep in bed with no problems. I started off eating cottage cheese, applesauce, Jello, popsicles. That's if you like this stuff and also Tilapia (fish) I have found a new friend in fish (that's if you like fish) you just have to try different things that is small and can be mushed for awhile. Heck, I was on a liquid diet for almost 2 weeks after surgery and I was ready to eat, so when I went back to Dr. he let me go to the next stage. I actually started loosing weight before I had the band and since have continued to lose. Take care and keep us informed. Ida Kay from Virginia

Hi proudmommy, congrats on your surgery.

I can eat a hamburger but not the bun. The bread is simply too heavy and sits in my chest if I eat it. I find Pasta very easy to eat but remember its carbs and to eat it in moderation and try to stick with whole wheat pasta's if possible.

Since you'll be consuming so much less than before, you'll really want to be sure you consume your food by category--protein first (to be sure you're getting adequate amount for the day) followed by veggies/fruit. If you still have room, and you will for now, then eat carbs. When you start getting fills and get restriction, you will find that you have less and less room to eat things like carbs. Be sure to eat Proteins first at every meal!

Congrats, and good luck! :wink_smile:

ProudMommy - I may be misunderstanding, but I think part of your problem may be that you are pushing your stomach too fast. Most surgeons do not allow you to eat anything but liquid for 14 days after surgery. (Jello seems to be an odd exception). Mine says that for the first two weeks all I am allowed to eat is:

Instant Breakfast/meal replacement

Water

Plain tea

broth

Boullion

Flat ginger ale

Crystal Light

Diet Jello

Its not about the diet, but about letting your poor stomach heal! Maybe if you avoid anything remotely think or solid for a while things will improve. Best of luck to you! Im just starting the insurance hurdle process myself! :w00t:

I was off a full week after surgery. I recoup pretty well, but I don't think I could have gone back to work as quick as you did. I was feeling pretty good at home 5 days post op. You should start to notice a difference within a few days. Just take things as easy as you can.

When you go to the doctor tomorrow. Be sure to ask what to eat. I'm sure they will tell you, but just incase they don't, ask. I was able to move to full liquids at your stage.

Most doctors give the first fill around 6 weeks post op. I didn't gain weight during this time, but I didn't lose much either. If you haven't started logging your food on one of the online sites (fitday, dailyplate, sparkpeople and I'm sure there are more) this is a good time to start. You will get hungry soon (I was hungry from the time I walked in the door from surgery) but if you record and make good selections, you should be able to maintain or at least keep the weight gain to a minimum.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

My dr allows pureed/mushie 4 days post op. All drs are different, just be sure to follow your drs orders about eating.